Email envits in effort to bring past Cubs back to the Pack

I am attempting to increase our Pack size and want to contact the families of some cubs that have "dropped out" over the last few years, in a attempt to recruit as well as better understand why they chose to end their scouting experience. Has anyone tried this? If so could you share the approach you used. I'm kind of at a bit of a loss. I don't want to be offensive as I understand the daily conflicts life can throw at all of us. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Many people have different reasons and some are just going to be because they don't like someone or something they did, its just going to happen. You might be able to get some to return an e-mail if they are interested or not. Some may even tell you why they quit. Just make it an invitation to try out Scouting again. Invite them for like a welcome back to the program and try to introduce the leaders to them especially if they are new. Make it a fun day if you can with games for the kids. A slide show with what you did in the past year may be a little bit better to show the kids and parents why they should come back.

You may also offer to meet the families to talk to them one on one. Sometimes that little extra will show them that you care enough and may make you look a little better in their eyes.

• Downvote 1

Thank you Bookemadano for your thoughts, I feel that you understand where I'm coming from. I don't want to be pushy or insulting. I just really think our Pack is working hard to offer a top notch program and would love to share the experience with families who clearly had interest at one point. I also would love to know the areas we need to improve.

We've had boys drop out of our pack for various reasons. The most common reason is that it just isn't a priority for them. It's not that they don't enjoy their time as scouts, it's just that they are too busy and often have to make choices on where to spend their time. We've lost scouts to 4H and those pesky year-round club sports teams (why can't they just have soccer in the fall like they used to!). Others drop out because they don't like the homework, or their friends are no longer in scouts. Those types of reasons aren't going to be very helpful to you because there is probably nothing you can do to get those boys to come back. However, every once in awhile you might get some feedback that a den is dysfunctional. Maybe the den leader isn't doing what they need to do, the meetings are boring, or there are troublemakers in the den that make it not fun for the other boys. That's the kind of honest feedback you want to hear if there is any chance of fixing a problem. If I was a parent on the fence about coming back, I don't think an email would do it for me. I think a personal phone call is best to make someone feel welcome and wanted. However, if they have no intention of coming back and you want honest feedback, they might feel more comfortable giving you that info in an email. It just really depends on the person, I guess. Personally, I don't do well being put on the spot verbally, but others might be fine with it. I think a combination of phone call and email would be best. An email would be a great way to get them thinking about it before you make the call. And if they still say "no" after the call, then another follow-up email might be a good way to get the feedback you are looking for as to why they don't want to come back.

• Downvote 1

Emails will go ignored......

Phone calls will yield higher results. If you leave voice mails they will probably get ignored as well.

Knocking on doors will get even better results...But folks may peek out and chose not to answer.

The difference is the amount of personal effort expended.

I would do the email thing, if your really serious follow up with a phone call, then knock on the door of the ones who don't respond to the first two.

I wouldn't waste a lot of effort chasing boys who left.....I am guilty of that......Concentrate your efforts on the families who enjoy and see the value in scouting.......

If you have lost boys because of troublemakers deal with them now. Require their parents to attend and participate in the meetings to manage their behavior.....If that doesn't work suspend them for a week or two.....

• Downvote 1

I agree with Basementdweller. If you want to actually make contact with these families you need to call. Have some options open for the parents. Especially if they want to continue in scouting but their reasons were time commitment or issues with their den.

Have options for the parents, they can come back to the pack, perhaps they need to swap dens due to the meeting times or just not getting along in that den.

Perhaps the kids need to swap packs due to the same above reasons if your pack has no other alternatives.

Also the kids can also work on their rank badges/etc with their parents if they really have no time to attend organized scout structure, since there is the Lone Scout program.

I would approach the issue with the attitude that you want keep kids in scouting, it doesn't matter if they are scouting with you, with another pack or by themselves. Its about the kids.

• Downvote 1

Thank you all for your excellent input

I think I will start out with a simple we miss you email and follow up with personal contact. Although I would like to see the boys return to our Pack but I couldn’t agree more with jc2008’s comment "it doesn't matter if they are scouting with you, with another pack or by themselves. Its about the kids."

I agree that a phone call is the way to go. In my experience, you might get a scout back if the parents are willing to share a specific problem for which you can offer a solution. Otherwise, I've found that scouts who have left before are much less likely to be retained a second time. When I follow up with families who have left the pack, I find it helpful to have a list of other local packs with locations and meeting times on hand to share if it happens that our pack is not the best fit.

Good luck!