Email envits in effort to bring past Cubs back to the Pack

I am attempting to increase our Pack size and want to contact the families of some cubs that have "dropped out" over the last few years, in a attempt to recruit as well as better understand why they chose to end their scouting experience. Has anyone tried this? If so could you share the approach you used. I'm kind of at a bit of a loss. I don't want to be offensive as I understand the daily conflicts life can throw at all of us. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Many people have different reasons and some are just going to be because they don't like someone or something they did, its just going to happen. You might be able to get some to return an e-mail if they are interested or not. Some may even tell you why they quit. Just make it an invitation to try out Scouting again. Invite them for like a welcome back to the program and try to introduce the leaders to them especially if they are new. Make it a fun day if you can with games for the kids. A slide show with what you did in the past year may be a little bit better to show the kids and parents why they should come back.

You may also offer to meet the families to talk to them one on one. Sometimes that little extra will show them that you care enough and may make you look a little better in their eyes.

I've sent actual letters/invites via snail mail at the same time I'm sending the same for the open house, and include a photo of the ex-scout having fun on some trip or another. We've never got one back, but at the end of the day it's a $1 gamble (the photo, the stamp, the ink) so there's no reason not to try.

Having been the guy who wasted an incredible amount of time and effort chasing boys who need scouting don't do it.

Spend the effort on improving the program those who stayed.

Agree with BD -- unless there's a kid who's going downhill fast. (E.g., since leaving cubs, folks passed away, he moved in with relatives in a different neighborhood, not making friends. You might want to offer his den to him as a way to reconnect with some old friends.)

Otherwise, if the kids are having fun elsewhere, let them. And really, if you don't know what the families are doing already, there's something wrong with your community. You should have already crossed paths with these families at a parade, carnival, or the local pool.

If you can't help yourself, a dozen post-cards saying "Missed seeing you at the Pack this year. Our next meeting is ... Why not stop by?" won't break the bank.

Fact is, for your effort, you'd probably have more success inviting boys who've never tried the program to give it a go for a year.

Intuitively I agree with the advice to not waste your time on lost causes..... but I also do really want to know the real reason why somebody left.

Problem is, I'll bet you will NEVER really hear the real or whole reason.....

for example - if soccer is the excuse.... does that mean that soccer is more fun then scouts because the den leader wasn't on his/her game and it was boring doing craft projects, or because scouting wasn't fun because of a bully in the den, or because scouting wasn't fun because the kid truly doesn't spark with the types of activities even though the scouts were doing all sorts of really cool stuff, or because Dad connects more with soccer than he does scouting...... All you'll really know is that soccer trumped scouting. What good does that do you?

Having been the guy who wasted an incredible amount of time and effort chasing boys who need scouting don't do it.

Spend the effort on improving the program those who stayed.

A few years ago I hit the same realization that BD had, it may be better to spend time on those that want to get something out of the program. Maybe it would be better to send email out to all of the existing families and do roses and thorns with them. What do they like? What would they like to see improved?

I would contact the families that dropped out and request they donate the uniform to the pack closet. Probably a better use of your time. Best to just let them know the program is still there if they ever want to come back. Scouting isn't everyone. There are good parts of the cub program, but every day I grow closer to the "never ending nightmare of indoor crafts called cub scouts" view of the program. I know we are not supposed to "change" the program, but I have a hard time some days walking into a den meeting knowing it will not be "fun", at least for the more kinetic learners.

I would contact the families that dropped out and request they donate the uniform to the pack closet. Probably a better use of your time. Best to just let them know the program is still there if they ever want to come back. Scouting isn't everyone. There are good parts of the cub program, but every day I grow closer to the "never ending nightmare of indoor crafts called cub scouts" view of the program. I know we are not supposed to "change" the program, but I have a hard time some days walking into a den meeting knowing it will not be "fun", at least for the more kinetic learners.
How about a game called "human pin ball." I'm not sure what the rules are but it sounds about right. We did human foosball and it was great. I tried a version of quidditch with 3 balls with webelos. That was a bad idea. Two boys looking at two different balls running into each other.
I'd take a craft over recording a week's worth of meals any day.

Yeah, no kidding. charting a week worth of anything will take a good 2-3 weeks with my son!

Since our new DL has taken over, we tend to focus on coming up with activities for the den meetings.... either out of the book, electives, or belt loops.... or even just fun activities for the den meeting that aren't in the program. the boys have more fun and will want to come back to the next den meeting. Doing that boring stuff can be done at home!.... well a lot of it anyway.

We have done this several times; sending post cards out for an Open House. We have only had 1 response over the years, but it gained us a Scout who is on the verge of Eagle and enabled us to recruit his younger brother and his Den from a pack we did not traditionally draw from. It's a long shot, but it's a small investment too.