Map and Compass in an Urban Environment

When I have set up these o-courses, I've basically given the boys a topo map to a local forest preserve with a set of points marked on the map that they have to visit. They have to figure out where they currently are located on the map, orient, and then pick the best trails to reach the individual points. I normally have some sort of stake at each point with a quiz question, skill requirement or game token they have to collect to prove they were there. I use the gpsxchange.com website to get topos without trail markings. Anyway, while I think your idea makes for a great outing, I'm still not convinced it meets the spirit of the requirement for teaching outdoor skills. Maybe there is a local orienteering club who could give you some ideas for more challenging hikes.

I've been thinking a little about food. It may be a lunch on the way into town, or a dinner thing if we want to watch the bats. One of the peculiar things about the downtown area are the tunnels (only open on weekdays). That's where most folks eat lunch. Finding a place to eat on a scout's lunch budget could prove difficult if your looking for something better than average fast food. Houston is definitely an aquired taste. Pack did you take the boat tour of the ship channel?
I can see where that would taint your view. Parts north and west aren't nearly as polluted (I say that with blissful ignorance, please don't enlighten me!). It just so happens that many of the refineries are clustered there and Texas City, and Baytown, etc...
When I have set up these o-courses, I've basically given the boys a topo map to a local forest preserve with a set of points marked on the map that they have to visit. They have to figure out where they currently are located on the map, orient, and then pick the best trails to reach the individual points. I normally have some sort of stake at each point with a quiz question, skill requirement or game token they have to collect to prove they were there. I use the gpsxchange.com website to get topos without trail markings. Anyway, while I think your idea makes for a great outing, I'm still not convinced it meets the spirit of the requirement for teaching outdoor skills. Maybe there is a local orienteering club who could give you some ideas for more challenging hikes.
It's not supposed to be an orienteering course. It's just a 5 mi. hike using a map and compass.

My orienteering courses for FC generally include a couple of control points that the guys can not beeline to. They have to figure it on the map, then figure a way to get to the control point. I'm much more devilish when it comes to orienteering.