Jamboree Staff Positions

So what's the inside scoop on Jamboree staff positions?

I've registered #1 son, who will just barely make the age cutoff by then, for the local contingent and I'm considering signing on as staff. (Leadership of the contingent troops has long-since been filled with a waiting list.)

So what do I need to know? Is this basic slave labor or is there time to enjoy the event? What are the "good" jobs and which ones are to be avoided? Besides jobs related to my current or past careers, the one that interested me was in Cub Scouts (working with visiting Cubs, I assume.) I figured my background as a day camp director may put me in good stead there. Anyone know what that's about?

While I have never been a Jamboree Staffer.

I do have many friends that have been.

In fact our Area President is in charge of the Area 4 Action Center and is looking to sign up something like 300 staffers. He managed to talk OJ into serving.

I am not sure but I think that the Cub Scout exhibit is staffed by people from National.

I know that I asked if I could attend as part of the Relationships Exhibit and Dave Richarson said I would need to be ordained!!

From what I see there are jobs and there are jobs.

I remember talking to the Chap who was in charge of gray water disposal. I had a hard time seeing that someone would pay good money to do this smelly chore. Still he is/was a better Scout then I.

This Chap was so excited. At the Jamboree before he only had a 3HP motor at this one he had 5HP. This made him oh so happy.

Some friends of mine have had the job of unloading the food trucks, that come in at night. They work for a few hours each night and are free during the day.

Most of the people work in teams and as a team ensure that everyone has time to enjoy the jamboree.

You might consider being part of the Commissioner Staff, they get to see a lot and interact with the troops. We made sure that our Commissioner was plyed with coffee and home made treats.

Eamonn

Twocubdad:

The National Jamboree has as many jobs in different area (for the all volunteer staff) as any city with a population of 35,000 full time residents and 100,000 visitors a day. The staff application has plenty of areas you can check as areas of interest.

Your work in the trades can come in very handy if you're willing to be there 5-10 days prior to the Jamboree. Decide whether you want to work nights and sleep during the day, want a "cushy" job or something else, and apply for it.

Put a bug in your Scout Executive's ear when you decide where you want to work. He'll probably be able to talk to a friend or two and get you where you want to be. He'll probably be there, too. Most Scout Executives are.

And when you get there -- if you get there -- look me up. I aim to be on the Central Region staff somewhere long the line and won't be hard to find. I'd love to meet you, buddy.

See you in ought '05 -- I hope.

Dave

I was a dining assistant at SubCamp 3 in the Northeast region at the 2001 Jamboree. We were up early, went to bed late. Our job was to feed the Staff at the SubCamp; our group clicked right away and had a great time. We had enough staff that we rotated time off so that we could experience the activities during the day and the arena shows. The Action Areas look pretty cool. I am trying to staff the Council contingent this time, however if I am not selected I will for sure sign on for national staff.

SM406