Using a military recruiter to lead a Webelos pin or Boy Scout MB class?

My son enlisted in the Marines last year. Thru that, I've gotten to know a local military recruiter. That recruiter is probably the most physically fit person I know and the leading expert I know on nutrition and health.

QUESTION #1 - He has volunteered to come in and lead the Webelos Athelete pin. What do you think? Is that a good idea?

QUESTION #2 - He probably would volunteer to lead a Boy Scout Physical Fitness merit badge class? Is that a good idea?

I have a lot of respect for the man. But I'm not sure how other parents would view it.

I fail to see the issue in regards to offering the MB. First of all, MB counselors apply to the council, not to your parents. The issue is whether or not he uses MB time to promote the Marines or develop a recruiting roster, which would be inappropriate.

However, what do you mean by "lead a MB class"? Troop meetings are not merit badge school. If that's your plan, that would be my issue.

By merit badge class, I meant a special opportunity such as a Saturday morning in a local field to discuss the requirements and do the initial measurements. I did not mean during troop meetings. Essentially a special unique opportunity.

Scouting is best when it offers unique opportunities.

By merit badge class, I meant a special opportunity such as a Saturday morning in a local field to discuss the requirements and do the initial measurements. I did not mean during troop meetings. Essentially a special unique opportunity.

Scouting is best when it offers unique opportunities.

Sounds like a great opportunity, then!

We had a lot of active military participate in our pack and troop. Some actively discouraged boys from the military live style. Most were excellent MBC's and Pin instructors. I wouldn't worry too much; he should be able to leave the day job away from scouts. Obviously a great leader can inspire boys to look into a particular career; we have had that with military, computers, and police work. If a parent is uncomfortable with that they can opt out,

I would note that the recruiter should get some BSA training to make sure he does it the scout way. We have had a rare problem with a macho military guy that needed a little nudging. But overall it has been very positive.

Ask the Parents......Seems pretty obvious to me.....they object then don't use him.

Besides merit badges should be conducted outside of Troop meetings in which case the folks with no objections will show up..

With a recruiter, I would be concerned about him developing a call list for recruiting in a couple of years.