Sometimes you just want to drink....

@mashmaster: Yes, I have had those days. That is why our Pack holds our committee meetings at a bar.

Just so nobody gets confused, this isn't a Legion bar, an Elks, Eagles, Moose or any other type of social club. It's a regular ol' for-profit bar.

Our District Commissioner suggested the idea to me a few years ago when we were having trouble getting people to show up to committee meetings. We don't have that problem any more. I've had him, several Council professionals and members of our CO (a church) show up. I've shared beers with all of them, and even (personally) bought a few of them. We announce them on our email list, which goes to the Minister, as well as the church's general delivery mailbox, plus our DE and several other professionals and volunteers at Council.

The only time I've had a complaint was when our DE had another event immediately afterwards and couldn't change out of his field uniform. I've discussed this with my leadership team, both as a group and as a one-on-one. Nobody has objected to the meeting place. Several have objected to my changing back to a "dry" meeting place.

The Pack buys soft drinks and sometimes food. Adult beverages, if consumed, are purchased by the consumer. We don't wear uniforms to the meeting, and youth are not invited. If anyone says they have bring their kids, we move the meeting back to the church.

Do we get drunk? No. Tipsy? No. This one beer (or two if the meeting runs long) helps to get the conversation going. And like a college frat boy, the loose inhibitions of the environment have helped me take advantage of the situation and fill several volunteer roles. It's also helped our committee really gel, since this serves as the "beer around the campfire" that we can't have at an official Scouting event.

Is it hypocritical? No, not in my mind. We're adults discussing adult issues. Even though I'm CM, I'm not Superman. Sitting in a bar helps underline that point.

As for Scouting events: No, there is no drinking. Even when we do a "Scout Day" at a sports stadium, there is no drinking. That is a Pack policy. We have our kids to take care of. Our District Picnic has a BYOB policy, but it is also announced to be adults only.

Now, I'm off to my committee meeting. I'm anxious to see the fireworks when I get back...

big difference having a committee meeting at a bar with no youth in attendance....

Pack leader taking his shirt off and going next door to the bar with youth around and in the car for the ride home.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sigh, unfortunately, most of my grief in scouting has also been caused by adults behaving badly.      

@mashmaster: Yes, I have had those days. That is why our Pack holds our committee meetings at a bar.

Just so nobody gets confused, this isn't a Legion bar, an Elks, Eagles, Moose or any other type of social club. It's a regular ol' for-profit bar.

Our District Commissioner suggested the idea to me a few years ago when we were having trouble getting people to show up to committee meetings. We don't have that problem any more. I've had him, several Council professionals and members of our CO (a church) show up. I've shared beers with all of them, and even (personally) bought a few of them. We announce them on our email list, which goes to the Minister, as well as the church's general delivery mailbox, plus our DE and several other professionals and volunteers at Council.

The only time I've had a complaint was when our DE had another event immediately afterwards and couldn't change out of his field uniform. I've discussed this with my leadership team, both as a group and as a one-on-one. Nobody has objected to the meeting place. Several have objected to my changing back to a "dry" meeting place.

The Pack buys soft drinks and sometimes food. Adult beverages, if consumed, are purchased by the consumer. We don't wear uniforms to the meeting, and youth are not invited. If anyone says they have bring their kids, we move the meeting back to the church.

Do we get drunk? No. Tipsy? No. This one beer (or two if the meeting runs long) helps to get the conversation going. And like a college frat boy, the loose inhibitions of the environment have helped me take advantage of the situation and fill several volunteer roles. It's also helped our committee really gel, since this serves as the "beer around the campfire" that we can't have at an official Scouting event.

Is it hypocritical? No, not in my mind. We're adults discussing adult issues. Even though I'm CM, I'm not Superman. Sitting in a bar helps underline that point.

As for Scouting events: No, there is no drinking. Even when we do a "Scout Day" at a sports stadium, there is no drinking. That is a Pack policy. We have our kids to take care of. Our District Picnic has a BYOB policy, but it is also announced to be adults only.

Now, I'm off to my committee meeting. I'm anxious to see the fireworks when I get back...

@Frank: I can't take credit for the idea. This was passed down to me by someone much older and wiser than I.

I can say, having just come back from another productive meeting, it does get the job done.

Dad was real clever making me work at his beer distributor as a kid. I was in and out of every bar in the county by age 13 and had absolutely no interest in beer since then. I don't complain about meeting occasionally at the CCs house and seeing a beer or two being served, they have soft drinks available so I feel welcome. But, going for a drink to settle your nerves after a rough weekend with adults ... I don't know. Sounds like a recipe for alcohol dependence. I strongly recommend finding other means of de-stressing.

BD can you quote one instance in this thread where some said they took youth into a bar with them to drink ? Or said they got into a car with youth after drinking ? You keep throwing up straw men.

"It helps that our CO is the Elks Lodge and we sometimes hold our Pack meetings there. Meeting over, take off uniform, go drink in bar."

In my area it is rare if ever we see two parents at a scout function......So from my experience that would mean that DED would have a couple of adult beverages and then load his scout in his car for the trip home.

The gun laws are such that in my state a person can open-carry a gun on their hip. However, if they put a coat on, they need training and a permit. ??? Say what? What's a coat got to do with one's ability to have a gun on their person?

So now we move to BSA. If you wear a uniform shirt you can't drink, but take it off after the meeting, well, then belly up to the bar, pardner.

Carrying a gun and having a drink is not the problem, it's only the clothing you are wearing that makes any difference. One could be unable to pass a background check for a permit, so all one has to do is get rid of the coat. Now there's a solution.

A person could be a alcoholic, but just don't wear a uniform and drink at the same time. Yep, another good solution.

Stosh

In my area it is very common for both parents to attend a pack meeting. In fact my wife usually takes the boys home so I can help put tables away and take care of any post meeting business with the other leaders. Though I am more interested in a snack than a drink after a meeting. :)

After tearing down a pack meeting I am more interested in getting home and to bed.....Up at 5:30 to get to work.