Sometimes you just want to drink....

I have never went directly from a scout event to a bar for any reason. Not exactly sure why that makes me a hypocrite.
Stosh, I don't think everyone IN THE BAR will think badly of the program if you have a drink. They are in the bar having a drink!

You obviously were not an Irish Catholic Priest. Everyone loved to have a drink with Monsignor Pete. A bottle of Jack was his favorite token of appreciation. :)

No BD, I am saying Jesus obviosly did not have an issue with drinking in public.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sigh, unfortunately, most of my grief in scouting has also been caused by adults behaving badly.      

I have never went directly from a scout event to a bar for any reason. Not exactly sure why that makes me a hypocrite.
So then there's no hypocrisy or inapproprate behavior assumed when scouters show up at the district awards dinner in civilian clothes so they can drink? It's a scout activity but sans uniform, it's okay? ... sorry I don't see the justification in such double standards. Here we have scouters worried about what to wear at a ECOH while at the same time wearing a suit so they can make have a beer.
What does district level event have to do with when a troop meeting or campout ends and you are no longer at a scouting event ? I fail to see why you have to slither off to some undisclosed location where no one will recognize you to have a drink. That just sounds creepy to me.
Our district does host events with "adult beverages." So, yes, I guess there is a "double standard" there! Stosh, we're a Legion troop too---It's considered "bad form" if the Commander (IH) offers to buy you a drink and you decline---unless of course there are still Scouts around, then he understands. :) But I think we've all had those troop meetings after which we'd gladly accept the Commander's invitation!! :)
And I have had the Commander come over to the area where the scouts meet to "see how things are going" only to have to deal with the consequences that the boys knew full well he had had way too much to drink. And yes the Commander has offered to buy me a drink which I graciously accepted a Mountain Dew, straight up in the can. They do serve non-alcoholic beverages at all bars. :)

As far as the other comments about drinking at scouting district events? Well scouts can and do attend and have commented as to knowing who is going to be drinking and who isn't by the clothing they are wearing.

Hypocrisy take a significant amount of justification to pull off, so much of the comments haven't really addressed the issue. Of course there are the scouters who smoke in uniform, too. Both legal vices. And if "sneaking off to get a drink" is creepy, then when we discuss why we can't get boys into uniforms, we have adults dumping them so they can have a drink? I find that kinda creepy too. :)

Stosh

For me the Heading next door to the Eagles for a beer after the Pack Meeting is this........

It shows bad judgement. After a Pack meeting I will have both of my children with me and two additional youth I transport as well. First I will be drinking in front of children who are not my own in a bar....Then getting into a car and driving them home......Even if I was drinking soda what will the scout parents think of my judgement, I doubt they will ask whats in my glass, is that just a coke or a rum and coke or something else.

There is something to be said for the Cubmaster Scoutmaster ideology.....you should present with a higher moral and ethical standard........ Sure my sons patrol has seen me on my deck drinking and smoking cigars with the neighbors, we have a very tight knit community, The son's patrols are very close friends beyond scouting......But they have never seen me in a bar or getting behind the wheel after..... I

If you absolutely positively have to go to the Eagles right after the Pack meeting for a beer.....IMO, You should be able to wait till ya get home.......I suggest you go get some help......

Ya the high level council events have drinks served as well.......But there is NO youth present typically and the folks they are samozzing for donations expect wine and such with dinner..... I don't have a problem with it because there is no youth present.

For me the Heading next door to the Eagles for a beer after the Pack Meeting is this........

It shows bad judgement. After a Pack meeting I will have both of my children with me and two additional youth I transport as well. First I will be drinking in front of children who are not my own in a bar....Then getting into a car and driving them home......Even if I was drinking soda what will the scout parents think of my judgement, I doubt they will ask whats in my glass, is that just a coke or a rum and coke or something else.

There is something to be said for the Cubmaster Scoutmaster ideology.....you should present with a higher moral and ethical standard........ Sure my sons patrol has seen me on my deck drinking and smoking cigars with the neighbors, we have a very tight knit community, The son's patrols are very close friends beyond scouting......But they have never seen me in a bar or getting behind the wheel after..... I

If you absolutely positively have to go to the Eagles right after the Pack meeting for a beer.....IMO, You should be able to wait till ya get home.......I suggest you go get some help......

Ya the high level council events have drinks served as well.......But there is NO youth present typically and the folks they are samozzing for donations expect wine and such with dinner..... I don't have a problem with it because there is no youth present.

Not sure why I even care what impressions you may have gathered, but let me set you straight. You have a misconception of our Elks Lodge. It's not some seedy bar where people go to drink and get drunk. It is a family-friendly place with a great pool and outdoor play area that is packed with kids throughout the day. Many of the Cub Scout families are members and hang out there regularly. I agree that in your situation, you should not be taking other people's kids to a bar. That is your situation, not mine.

I don't care.....If your drinking with the priest at the catholic church......

It is still pretty tacky.

So it is still ok for you to knock back a couple then get behind the wheel with your kids in the back seat???????

I'm sorry I started this topic.
Some of the judgmental comments in this thread are depressing. I'm disappointed that some of my forum buddies are so intolerant and quick to condemn.

Makes me want to have a drink....

I am entertained by it..... So where the discussion currently stands is it is OK to go aand have a few beers after the Pack meeting as long as your not transporting anyone else's kids home. So the conclusion drawn is that it is OK for a scout leader to have a few beers then drive his kids home from a scout function with some level of impairment.

I am entertained by it..... So where the discussion currently stands is it is OK to go aand have a few beers after the Pack meeting as long as your not transporting anyone else's kids home. So the conclusion drawn is that it is OK for a scout leader to have a few beers then drive his kids home from a scout function with some level of impairment.
I don't see anyone advocating DUI, with or without kids in the cars. Or advocating drinking in the presence of children and then setting the very bad example of driving.

Does anyone think that's okay?

Anyone?

@mashmaster: Yes, I have had those days. That is why our Pack holds our committee meetings at a bar.

Just so nobody gets confused, this isn't a Legion bar, an Elks, Eagles, Moose or any other type of social club. It's a regular ol' for-profit bar.

Our District Commissioner suggested the idea to me a few years ago when we were having trouble getting people to show up to committee meetings. We don't have that problem any more. I've had him, several Council professionals and members of our CO (a church) show up. I've shared beers with all of them, and even (personally) bought a few of them. We announce them on our email list, which goes to the Minister, as well as the church's general delivery mailbox, plus our DE and several other professionals and volunteers at Council.

The only time I've had a complaint was when our DE had another event immediately afterwards and couldn't change out of his field uniform. I've discussed this with my leadership team, both as a group and as a one-on-one. Nobody has objected to the meeting place. Several have objected to my changing back to a "dry" meeting place.

The Pack buys soft drinks and sometimes food. Adult beverages, if consumed, are purchased by the consumer. We don't wear uniforms to the meeting, and youth are not invited. If anyone says they have bring their kids, we move the meeting back to the church.

Do we get drunk? No. Tipsy? No. This one beer (or two if the meeting runs long) helps to get the conversation going. And like a college frat boy, the loose inhibitions of the environment have helped me take advantage of the situation and fill several volunteer roles. It's also helped our committee really gel, since this serves as the "beer around the campfire" that we can't have at an official Scouting event.

Is it hypocritical? No, not in my mind. We're adults discussing adult issues. Even though I'm CM, I'm not Superman. Sitting in a bar helps underline that point.

As for Scouting events: No, there is no drinking. Even when we do a "Scout Day" at a sports stadium, there is no drinking. That is a Pack policy. We have our kids to take care of. Our District Picnic has a BYOB policy, but it is also announced to be adults only.

Now, I'm off to my committee meeting. I'm anxious to see the fireworks when I get back...

@mashmaster: Yes, I have had those days. That is why our Pack holds our committee meetings at a bar.

Just so nobody gets confused, this isn't a Legion bar, an Elks, Eagles, Moose or any other type of social club. It's a regular ol' for-profit bar.

Our District Commissioner suggested the idea to me a few years ago when we were having trouble getting people to show up to committee meetings. We don't have that problem any more. I've had him, several Council professionals and members of our CO (a church) show up. I've shared beers with all of them, and even (personally) bought a few of them. We announce them on our email list, which goes to the Minister, as well as the church's general delivery mailbox, plus our DE and several other professionals and volunteers at Council.

The only time I've had a complaint was when our DE had another event immediately afterwards and couldn't change out of his field uniform. I've discussed this with my leadership team, both as a group and as a one-on-one. Nobody has objected to the meeting place. Several have objected to my changing back to a "dry" meeting place.

The Pack buys soft drinks and sometimes food. Adult beverages, if consumed, are purchased by the consumer. We don't wear uniforms to the meeting, and youth are not invited. If anyone says they have bring their kids, we move the meeting back to the church.

Do we get drunk? No. Tipsy? No. This one beer (or two if the meeting runs long) helps to get the conversation going. And like a college frat boy, the loose inhibitions of the environment have helped me take advantage of the situation and fill several volunteer roles. It's also helped our committee really gel, since this serves as the "beer around the campfire" that we can't have at an official Scouting event.

Is it hypocritical? No, not in my mind. We're adults discussing adult issues. Even though I'm CM, I'm not Superman. Sitting in a bar helps underline that point.

As for Scouting events: No, there is no drinking. Even when we do a "Scout Day" at a sports stadium, there is no drinking. That is a Pack policy. We have our kids to take care of. Our District Picnic has a BYOB policy, but it is also announced to be adults only.

Now, I'm off to my committee meeting. I'm anxious to see the fireworks when I get back...

No fireworks here! Sounds like you have a great idea---gets the folks to attend and gets the job done!