Sometimes you just want to drink....

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sigh, unfortunately, most of my grief in scouting has also been caused by adults behaving badly.      

One weekend and 3 popcorn fires leaders that "should" know better and use common sense. One buys his son lunch to eat while selling popcorn and his son just sits and eats for his shift....Another pack squats on our location for another shift and just says no it is theirs (It wasn't) talked to the committee chair for that pack and they say "sorry". Then to top it off I get an email for cm's wife at 2am accusing me of random crap, sigh.....

I think my cubs are more mature than the leaders sometimes.

I have never went directly from a scout event to a bar for any reason. Not exactly sure why that makes me a hypocrite.
Taking off one's uniform so they can drink is a problem for me. The character of the scouter should be the same regardless of what one wears.

Stosh

I have never went directly from a scout event to a bar for any reason. Not exactly sure why that makes me a hypocrite.
Jblake41: Wine at communion is OK, but a beer around the campfire is not???

Why is it that it's OK to wear your uniform to church and drink alcohol, but its not OK to wear your uniform outside of church to drink alcohol? Further, why is it wrong to not wear your uniform and drink alcohol? Would you consider approving their consumption of amber fluids if they put their uniform back on?

I enjoy a bourbon and cigar on the back porch in the evening on occasion......But never felt the need to rush from a scout meeting to the bar......

I never even considered goin drinkin with the guys from round table.

So your comparing changing water to wine.......To ripping off your scout shirt to run into the eagles to get a beer after a pack meeting.

First of all I do consume a brew now and then. I do it at home and at dinners where I am not driving. That's not the problem. The hypocrisy come into play when I skirt around an organization's rules. I don't drink in a scout uniform because of the image of the program. If I go onto my CO's (American Legion) bar and everyone in there knows I am their SM, it doesn't make a bit of difference whether I'm uniform or not. They can make the connection and it may reflect bad on the program. At a restaurant where they don't know me, it doesn't reflect bad on scouting. The same held true when I was in the clergy. How much respect do you have for the program you represent?
Stosh, why? I don't consider there to be anything immoral or unethical about an adult 21 years or older going to the bar after a drink. BSA policy is no drinking at BSA events, and no drinking in BSA uniforms because that reflects badly on them and their brand... I can respect and follow that (and its the perception of "drinking" as opposed to a "drink"), especially since one idiot does something drunk and stupid in a BSA uniform and immeasurable damage happens to BSA's brand.

However, I'm not sure why I can't go to a bar and have a drink. Perhaps that violates your morals, but not mine.