Been in a hammock almost exclusively for quite a few years now. Cold is an issue just as it is in a tent, but is easily overcome with some skill. I hammock in subzero F all the time. Lowest was in the negative twenties F. I use ccf pads in these extreme temps. Inflatable pads are not the best to use. While hennesy hammocks have a big marketing presence, there are many other options available. One last comment about protection from bears; a thin layer of nylon provides no additional protection from such an animal. I have had bears sniff around my tent in the past and also sniff around me in my hammock.The idea the tent will somehow protect someone from a bear is laughable IMO.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While it is more expensive and arguably lighter than a conventional setup..   It is a comfort thing for me......Air circulation in the summer, and up off the cold ground in winter.   Down si

too cold in a hammock? Just hang it over your camp fire!

Been in a hammock almost exclusively for quite a few years now. Cold is an issue just as it is in a tent, but is easily overcome with some skill. I hammock in subzero F all the time. Lowest was in the negative twenties F. I use ccf pads in these extreme temps. Inflatable pads are not the best to use. While hennesy hammocks have a big marketing presence, there are many other options available. One last comment about protection from bears; a thin layer of nylon provides no additional protection from such an animal. I have had bears sniff around my tent in the past and also sniff around me in my hammock.The idea the tent will somehow protect someone from a bear is laughable IMO.
What do you call a hammock camper? A bear burrito.
Anyone figured out how to use a hammock and a CPAP ?
Continuous Positive Airway Pressure it is for sleep apnea

Yes I have....Buy a warbonnet blackbird, It has a shelf and when it is too cold for ambinent air you sleep with it inside your sleeping bag.....

if you breath cold air thru your machine you will get pneumonia, Didn't learn the first time so I had to do it twice. for me when the air temp is in the low sixties it is too cold to leave it outside your sleeping bag.

Interesting. I have used one several times in the 20s with no health issues, maybe I got lucky. The problem I have had is condensation on the mask valve and lots of whistling.

Can you explain the science behind the pneumonia ? Don't want that. I don't understand. The air temp is the same with or without the pressure. I personally have never found the humidifier useful and don't use it.

Better start shedding some lbs. not much room in my mummy for the machine. The hoses and wires coming out of the bag, tossing and turning ? That's a major PITA. May have to turn to pharmacopeia. Zzzzzzzz. "As our campsite floats away..."

Have heard that one before. Still funny though.
FWIW: I don't toss and turn at all in my hammock. And I also don't need to use the CPAP to not snore in the hammock. I think it's the elevated airway/head position. That doesn't mean that I don't still stop breathing, but I don't snore and sleep better in my hammock than I do my bed at home.
  • 1 month later...

Hammock in cold weather: Update.

25 degrees in a steady 15 MPH on Mount Yonah. I knew the hammock would be cold, but I couldn't justify investing in an underquilt for one trip per year in Georgia. Hiking up 1000 feet with water for 2 days made weight a big concern.

Cold shoulders:

Usually a single Thermarest under me in the hammock keeps the cold out, but my shoulders push against the sides of the hammock/sleeping bag and make a cold spot. This trip I took two scraps of minicell foam (actually scraps from the interlocking soft flooring you see at home stores) and positioned them next to my shoulders against the wall of the hammock. It took a little bit of wriggling around to keep the foam in place and zip up the mummy bag to my nose, but my shoulders were just fine! The added weight of the foam was negligible.

Wind:

I didn't want to listen to the rattling of my cheap nylon tarp in the constant wind, so I left it at home. Instead, I used an army surplus canvas shelter half. (Half of a pup-tent) It worked great! The ends of the shelter half were the same length as my hammock, so they attached to the same biners that I use to attach the hammock. On the foot end, I attached the two sides to each other under the hammock with a bungee cord. At the head end, I clipped a carabiner on each side, so that I could get in and out; but the weight of the biners was enough to hold the canvas down. The wind did not penetrate my cocoon. The second night I had to un-zip some because I was sweating. Caveat: the shelter half weighs about 3 times as much as a small tarp.