When I was a kid, our troop was known for its "hammock boys," so a few years ago I went out and bought one o give the boys a laugh and maybe some inspiration. The first night I slept in it, I actually ended up on a picnic table to do the sleeping. The second time, I finally managed maybe 3 hours of sleep. 3rd time I was so kinked-up and stiff the whole next day I wanted to die. 4th time I said bollocks and it's been in its package since.
Too bad, hammocks are awesome.

I came up with another pro for hammock camping: Depending on how long your tent is set up, it will press down any grass, and you also have to clear that spot of stones/sticks, if you're not in a pre-cleared camping area, it will be visible where you set up camp. Hammocks, on the other hand, leave no trace whatsoever and you don't have to clear the area.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While it is more expensive and arguably lighter than a conventional setup..   It is a comfort thing for me......Air circulation in the summer, and up off the cold ground in winter.   Down si

too cold in a hammock? Just hang it over your camp fire!

Our boys like hammocks when allowed. (Usually only 2 or 3 actually bring a hammock, they rest just play in those during the day.) Not all places allow hammocks though. While in the Grand Canyon this year the rangers told us not to use hammocks because they were a danger to the Elk on the Rim, and could damage the trees below. If you are a tent user check with local authorities first, or plan on brining a tent or tarp use just in case.

We just came back from our monthly camp out. I had the Scouts all bring a bed sheet and their para-cord. We made hammocks with that and basic knots. I provided the webbing to protect the trees from damage. 17 Scouts in attendance; 2 already hammock; 15 made hammocks; 13 started the night in them; 8 slept thru the night in their hammock.

When I was a kid, our troop was known for its "hammock boys," so a few years ago I went out and bought one o give the boys a laugh and maybe some inspiration. The first night I slept in it, I actually ended up on a picnic table to do the sleeping. The second time, I finally managed maybe 3 hours of sleep. 3rd time I was so kinked-up and stiff the whole next day I wanted to die. 4th time I said bollocks and it's been in its package since.
If that were the case with LNT then why does philmont not permit them?????
Our boys like hammocks when allowed. (Usually only 2 or 3 actually bring a hammock, they rest just play in those during the day.) Not all places allow hammocks though. While in the Grand Canyon this year the rangers told us not to use hammocks because they were a danger to the Elk on the Rim, and could damage the trees below. If you are a tent user check with local authorities first, or plan on brining a tent or tarp use just in case.
Most of the places around here in AZ say NO to hammocks in the trees, especially the scout camps.
There was a thread here a while back on this topic. Have no idea if it's available now with the site changes that have happened, but it really got my curiosity up about hammocks.

I'd love to try one some time to see if I like it before buying..... I'm just not confident enough that I'd like it to spend the dollars up front. I tend to be a side sleeper so I think I might have issues. Seems like a great concept though IF there are plenty of trees and IF you can tie to them.

The IF you can tie to them comment, was meant more about rules. Some places have rules against tying anything to trees.
Been a hammock boy for five years.

Pros:

1- EXTREMELY comfortable.

a- My back is fine in the morning. Don't have to climb out of bed, just swing my feet out.

b- .I don't snore in the curved posture (put a bolster under my knees)

c- Interior pockets for light and glasses. Hang a 'C' cell lantern under tarp for reading light.

2- Light weight,

3- Versatile, don't need no stinking level spot without roots and rocks. Quick set-up once you have your routine down.

4- Can be inexpensive - $45 hammock and a $10 tarp:

http://www.rei.com/product/736088/byer-moskito-traveller-hammock

Cons:

1- Have to cover your pack separately. (And close it when you retire.)

2- Carry a few extra ropes to adjust for trees.

3- I'm not good for below 30 degrees. Double Thermarests keep the backside warm, but my shoulders push so hard against the sides that they make a thin spot. At 25 degrees this past March, I just had to let my shoulders freeze.

Hey MattR,

You really should try the cheap REI Mokito Hammock.

The instructions advise you to sleep diagonally, which makes you flat. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

I think one of the main reasons that I find hammocks so comfortable is the stretchy fabric. No hard spots, distributes your weight evenly.

I always use a thermarest pad in the hammock. In warm weather a little 3/4 pad is up around my head and shoulders to hold the mesh away from my face. Bzzzzzzzz...

At Camp Napowan last summer, the highs were 95 and the nights only dipped to 82/83. I couldn't have slept in a tent or on the ground. As it was, I was laying semi-nude in the air taking advantage of every little breeze.

When I was a kid' date=' our troop was known for its "hammock boys," so a few years ago I went out and bought one o give the boys a laugh and maybe some inspiration. The first night I slept in it, I actually ended up on a picnic table to do the sleeping. The second time, I finally managed maybe 3 hours of sleep. 3rd time I was so kinked-up and stiff the whole next day I wanted to die. 4th time I said bollocks and it's been in its package since.[/quote']

Could be a number of reasons you didn't sleep well. You may have had the hammock strung too tight (the lines should be hanging at a 30 degree angle or so for best comfort for most people). Did you sleep at an angle?

In terms of Philmont, I think the main reservation against them is bears. Tarp camping is also not allowed at Philmont.

Philmont, really?! If you have "tree huggers" then hammocks don't leave any trace whatsoever, but without them the straps could damage the bark. What perdidochas said below makes sense, tents give you a lot more protection from bears than hammocks.
When I was a kid' date=' our troop was known for its "hammock boys," so a few years ago I went out and bought one o give the boys a laugh and maybe some inspiration. The first night I slept in it, I actually ended up on a picnic table to do the sleeping. The second time, I finally managed maybe 3 hours of sleep. 3rd time I was so kinked-up and stiff the whole next day I wanted to die. 4th time I said bollocks and it's been in its package since.[/quote']

Could be a number of reasons you didn't sleep well. You may have had the hammock strung too tight (the lines should be hanging at a 30 degree angle or so for best comfort for most people). Did you sleep at an angle?

In terms of Philmont, I think the main reservation against them is bears. Tarp camping is also not allowed at Philmont.

Bears? I've seen bears open tents wherever they want. They just run a claw down the side of the tent. What does a tent have that a hammock doesn't? Maybe the bear wants to sleep in the hammock?

Or is a hammock too much like a tarp? That begs the question, why not tarps?

I was thinking the same thing.

I haven't seen a bear open a tent but can't imagine why a tent would be different than a tarp or hammock.....

unless there's a theory that a tent looks more like a big boulder than a sausage.

The theory goes that they sometimes cook under tarps at Philmont, but never in tents. Tents are not associated with food, tarps are. One of the keys to hammock camping is the tarp.

I will admit to feeling somewhat vulnerable to mischief in a hammock. Although there are no critters in the Southeast that worry me, two-legged-dogs have left their spoor in some of my haunts.

There is no graceful way to exit a zipped hammock in a hurry. My emergency plan is to roll over, fall through the screen and bounce on my face...

Bears? You shouldn't have a problem if you hang your hammock as high as the bear bag....

Stosh

I'd rather not climb to the top of a tree in order to get in my hammock.