"I noticed that the original topic was that you wanted ideas on how to get the patrol method working better. Upon discussion this changed into the fact that you were being bypassed for being SPL by someone younger and less qualified."

The sudden change was caused by the fact that I was turned down for SPL(for the 5th time) this past Monday evening, and I was extremely aggravated and disappointed, hence this comment:"Honestly, I'd rather watch him fail and be the one to pick up the pieces." Sorry about that, I probably should have waited till I got my composure back and opened a new thread asking for advice/help.

As far as a few of you commenting on my leaving to Venturing, I attended a week long Venturing camp that let Boy Scouts in this year. It was July 15-21. Since seeing how Venturing operates and experiencing the HA emphasis and, in the case of this camp, high organization and efficiency, I can now see how little my troop actually does and how disorganized it tends to be. You could say that I got a taste of the good life and now I can't come back. The possibility of becoming SPL/ASPL is what has kept me in Boy Scouts a little longer. I don't plan on completely abandoning my troop, but instead having dual membership and having more focus the Venturing program rather than Boy Scouts.

When it comes to servant leadership, that is what I've been trying to do. For example, at summer camp we always setup what we call Hiltons, large rectangular dining flys with aluminum frames. I had the opportunity to serve as SPL during summer camp, and I used what I call the "lead by example" technique. For the Hiltons, I got together all the guys who had never assembled one before, showed them exactly what is to be done to assemble them and then helped them assemble it, while the ASPL helped the experienced guys setup a second one. I used this technique throughout the week, from building camp gadgets to tying knots.

When it comes to "being their best friend" I try to do that as well. During free time a lot of the guys like to play cards, so do I, so I am usually joining them. I also am a magician so when we are around the campfire or waiting on the cooks to finish up I usually get out a pack of cards or sponge balls(AKA clown noses) and do magic tricks for everybody, including a fire effect that went over quite well.:)

I have a 2 explanations as to why I wasn't(haven't been) elected. 1. I am very straight forward, I "tell it how I see it," if someone is doing something wrong, knots, etc, I point out it out to them and then help them correct it. While this can be a good thing, a lot of people don't like it. And of course sometimes I'm the one that is wrong and people really don't like being told that they're wrong when they're actually right. 2. We had four visitors at the meeting, for three of them it was their 2nd meeting but they hadn't been on any outings, for the other it was his first time with our troop, the point is that they were allowed to vote in the election. We had about fifteen people including them.

No warrior shows up for battle without knowing what weapons they have brought.

No worker shows up for work without knowing what tools they they have brought.

No teacher shows up for class without knowing what skills they have brought.

There's a pattern here. Self-awareness of what one brings to the game is "armed" to accomplish the task/challenge that lays ahead. No one ever built a road on smooth ground. There's always obstacles along the way. How one addresses them before beginning the challenge often times determines the outcome. If one knows they are overly "straight forward" and they know it produces less than stellar results, then by simple awareness, are now capable of trying something different. Those that stubbornly refuse to learn will simply continue to beat their heads against the wall.

And the last suggestion I leave is: "Never let them see you sweat." There are a few out there in the world that love to push peoples' buttons. It's a game for them. If one reacts to these kinds of people, they will continue their little game with you. However, if one doesn't react the way they are supposed to, then the game is no fun and they move on.

I have a pin-button that resides on my nightstand so I see it every morning when I get up. I love it's message: "Don't tell people your troubles. 80% don't care and the other 20% are glad." It really helps me get through the day. :)

Stosh

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, you lose some, and then you lose some. That smarts, but once you get beyond the discouragement, you need to relax and think about what didn't appeal to the younger boys. Personnally, I think a 6