I've gained more in 3 hours than 3 years!

Who needs Council round tables when this forum exists? Not sure I do...

I find monthly round tables tedious; but I can find no other parents to go. I'm the sucker, but I'm also an Eagle and I'd love for every one of my scouts to have the same positive experience I had in scouting. This is my opportunity to give back. But let me say, it's a whole different ball game when you're the adult leader. Every month I seem to do the equivalent of an Eagle service project. Anyone else feel the same? Like the success or failure of your program is on your shoulders alone and BALOO training was a huge waste of a Saturday?

I'm looking for more than talking points and checklists from Council. That's why I'm here. I've been poking around for a bit and I'm impressed with the depth of knowledge and spirit of debate. You're good people.

I look forward to carrying on my journey as the parent of a freshly minted Weblo and another go 'round as Cubmaster.

Stick with the boy-led, patrol-method and you won't have to invest an Eagle projects worth of effort every month. Mentor the boys with their own projects. :)

Welcome to the forum.

Stosh

Don't be an island unto yourself. You may not see any value in roundtable, but it does offer networking opportunities. I have real issues with our units that isolate themselves and "do their own thing"......because most of them end up not having a clue what they are doing as a result and run bad programs.

Don't be an island unto yourself. You may not see any value in roundtable, but it does offer networking opportunities. I have real issues with our units that isolate themselves and "do their own thing"......because most of them end up not having a clue what they are doing as a result and run bad programs.
I always tell my boys to "drive from the backseat". They know that even if they don't hold the leadership position they have a ton of leadership to offer. I always tell my boys the coach doesn't play the game, the orchestra conductor makes no sound, and the driver's ed teacher sits in the passenger seat. Everyone has leadership to offer. Show up for Roundtables, you never know when you might be able to help someone else. That's what Servant Leadership is all about.
You raise an excellent point that, until now, had escaped me. I do see the value in councli roundtables in the opportunities to help others. Thanks!
Your best strategy for roundtables: always bring someone from your committee along. That way there is overlap in case you miss something. Moreover, there's someone on the ride home who can help you sift through any ideas that were bantered about.

Yes, BALOO for an Eagle really is flagellation with a wet noodle. Thanks for your service, and enjoy those outings with your son.

Any ideas how to get other committee members to round table? Or other parents?Despite some 60-70 families in our Pack, it's been the SAME 5 parents performing multiple Pack roles, myself included. No one wants to step up. Sure, we get the pats on the backs for a job well done, but we also get the petty criticism. I know the 5 of us would like a break, but we carry on our multiple roles out of necessity.

Any ideas how to get other committee members to round table? Or other parents?Despite some 60-70 families in our Pack, it's been the SAME 5 parents performing multiple Pack roles, myself included. No one wants to step up. Sure, we get the pats on the backs for a job well done, but we also get the petty criticism. I know the 5 of us would like a break, but we carry on our multiple roles out of necessity.
Don't get me started on that one.

Short answer. Announce you are all resigning from the committee and if the parents want to continue the pack you will be happy to assist them in the transition.

Stick with the boy-led, patrol-method and you won't have to invest an Eagle projects worth of effort every month. Mentor the boys with their own projects. :)

Welcome to the forum.

Stosh

Context, Stosh: He's a cub leader, not a Boy Scout leader.