I've been a good scout/scouter please bring me....

We are trying to put togeather a list of sugested items for our scouts and scouters to give to their families.

Too many scouts tell us they don't have teh $$ for things like rain gear and boots but the first meeting after Christmas they a show up with the latest electronic games and such. My tinking is if we start now maybe we can see a few backpacks and sleeping pads under the tree.

We plan to have a list for scouts and a list for scouters.

Any ideas? Book titles? Gear? Clothing?

Great Idea

Stocking Stuffers

Lexan eating utensils, compass, small flashlight with holder, water bottle, emergency blanket, small first aid kit. liner socks.

Bigger items

Mess Kit, good lightweight sleeping bag. polypropylenes long johns.

ahhh, my soon to be 11 year old Webelos 2 son who will cross over next February has aleady requested his own tent for Christmas. Of course, that is in addition to the electronics on his list! ;) Santa is already looking at new sleeping bags and a backpack.

My own list includes a leather BSA belt, a Wood Badge belt buckle and the red Jac-Shirt. Possibly an ordered pair of high rise scount pants to replace the hiphuggers stocked in the local Council Scout Shop. A new Ford F-150 extended cab would be sweet too, but I'm not holding my breath. A guy can dream, can't he?

Dan,

Good list! I'd add a decent poncho for a kid. I've got a good backpacking poncho, but the only thing I've been able to find in the stores for a kid my son's size is the little plastic cheapies. I have not looked on the internet for anything more durable yet.

Santa came early for me. I asked for a lightweight one person backpacking tent to go along with the backpack that I got for my birthday earlier this year. Well, prior to going on my trip to the Pine Barrens (which by the way ROCKED!!! The weather was awesome..OGE, we have to talk about my reputation as the Princess of Percipatiation), I got to open a Christmas present...it was a backpacking tent!

I still have a Boy Scout uniform shirt of the tan color with an ASM patch on my list.

Well, since you asked:)....

Backpacking tent would be nice, but I'm not expecting it since I got a new tent last year;).

Decent internal or external frame pack would be nice(hydration pack compatible of coure)

Already let him know about the GPS unit I want.

New tactital boots would be nice as well.

Rock climbing equipment.

Computer(laptop preferrred, but desktop ok)

BDU pants in OD and CAMO

Money to buy a domain name(hops_scout.com) I like the sounds of that;):):);)

Finally, to top it all off, to meet most of you;);););):):):):):)(This message has been edited by hops_scout)

All I want for Xmas is a 36 inch TV...but soon to be SheWhoMustBeObeyed says that money can be put toward the wedding

Looks like socks, shorts, and a tie for this Daddy :)

For your Scouts I would suggest a deposit toward the 2005 Jamboree, or if they are headed to Philmont in 2004, get the boots now!

Everyone hates to have me on their list. I really don't need anything. I tend to buy all the stuff that I need when I need it.

Last year my Her Who Must Be Obeyed wanted the ring with the 3 stones, so that was easy.

Scamp got his laptop which went bad after a month and I had ongoing communications with Best Buy for two months.

I am looking at a wide screen TV, but much as I like the plasma sets spending as much on a TV as I used to spend on a used car is kind of hard.

OJ wants a pair of new hiking boots and a Columbia jacket along with a new cell phone and cash. Santa will not be bringing the phone. The one he has allows him to talk to people, hear people and send text messages.

I will be sending all the parents of the Scouts who have signed up for the jamboree a list with some of the equipment that they will need.

I am giving a lot of thought to a four wheel drive vehicle for myself. I do really like the Range Rover, but repairs will be costly. I also like the Mercedes M, but it reminds me of a Soccer Moms' car. So I will more then lightly end up with another Volvo. I have been looking and no matter what they are all over priced. Then again maybe I'm just cheap?

I looked at a great BMW Z, with traction. Her Who Must Be Obeyed said that I was going through a mid life crisis.

Sometimes you can't win.

What I would really like for Christmas is for someone to hire our Field Director.

Someone as far away from where I am as is possible.

Eamonn.

By the way I hope that the future Her Who Must Be Obeyed, is as understanding and nice as the one that I have had for 21 years.

I wish nothing but the very best.(This message has been edited by Eamonn)

"Too many scouts tell us they don't have teh $$ for things like rain gear and boots but the first meeting after Christmas they a show up with the latest electronic games and such."

Ain't that the truth. One of the Scouts in my troop uses a borrowed sleeping bag and backpack for nearly every outing. Mom and Dad can't afford anything new I was told (I know better because Dad buys every gadget on the market including a HUGH plasma TV). I said, "Hmmmm . . . ask for gear for Christmas."

After Christmas, he shows up riding a $400 electric scooter. "Hey! Neat scooter, did your grandparents give that to you?" "No. Mom and Dad did." He's still using a borrowed pack and sleeping bag.

On the stocking stuffer side: get the poor kid a stuff sack for his sleeping bag that doesn't require the use of a hydraulic press. Maybe some straps to hold his sleeping bag etc to his pack/frame. Or go all

out and find some smaller stuff sacks in different colors. How about a backpacking pillow or one of those fleece-lined stuff sacks? Some polypro;ylene liner gloves; cheap and weightless. And last but not

least a handful of cordlocks for whatever

Small stuff to be sure but makes the lad that much more the master of his environment!