Removing summer camp focus from merit badges

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like 441's approach. What can Summer Camp offer that will fill a boy's dreams until next year?  Take an HA area and create 3 or 4 levels for boys to move up through.   Examples: Shooting; 1-

My ideal camp would be for each PATROL in a troop to have the option of designing their own program. NSP gets scoutcraft, maybe makes a bridge, tower, maybe works on advancement, special training in c

Yeah, well, pluses and minuses to everything I suppose. Are you in an area where you can take advantage of outside outfitters for HA experiences? What sort of resources are available to exploit?

Unfortunately Tokala is spot on. I've been told by many that the reason why summer camps are more MB focused is because of the parents. I know that the program I HA program I developed was a miss because A) it wasn't promoted, and B) the brand spanking new COPE COURSE that was promoted caught everyone's attention. But the Scouts I talked to were for it , and wanted to come to camp the next year for it.

But one parent/leader did ask me what MBs would the folks get who did the program. Very disappointed when I said none.

Unfortunately Tokala is spot on. I've been told by many that the reason why summer camps are more MB focused is because of the parents. I know that the program I HA program I developed was a miss because A) it wasn't promoted, and B) the brand spanking new COPE COURSE that was promoted caught everyone's attention. But the Scouts I talked to were for it , and wanted to come to camp the next year for it.

But one parent/leader did ask me what MBs would the folks get who did the program. Very disappointed when I said none.

It's kinda sick when you think about it. Most MB's that kids do get at camp they could earn with a local counselor for free.

Anyway, I think by way of promoting, you give campers their district's list of MBC's (or maybe a select few who are willing to work with kids who attend your HA) for topics where that your program would partially cover. It would be on the youth to contact and report to the MBC before and after the camp. The blue card never comes to your base at all!

Still a tough sell, but it makes it clear to folks that the boys can still be using the week for advancement, just not for administrative busy work that distracts from skills acquisition.

Blend the two. There is nothing wrong with Merit Badges, but combine 2-3 into a track instead of as a one hour per day class.

Put nature, Wilderness Survival and Pioneering into one course over two days, that includes building a shelter in a tower where you do observations.

Put rowing, canoeing and fishing into a track where you learn to work the craft, and fish from it.

If you do Theater, combine with Communications - you now own the campfire and morning announcements.

We took badges that can be earned just by being a Scout, and made them into one hour per day courses with homework. Take them back to activities that just happen to cover the requirements. Beware of double counting rules, but other than that you can make some fun stuff happen in the slots instead.

You have to be careful that you still sell the parents on the program. Way too many are hung up on little Johnny Scout getting his Eagle Scout than the "other" stuff that Scouting offers.
That is because that is how they are sold the program - getting to Eagle. If you sell a camping club, you don't get full buy-in from the parents. Our job is to use the pitch of the Eagle to get the parent's support, and then build a program that is best for the boys.

My camp has excellent shooting sports facitlities. I've discussed the idea of adding the NRA/Winchester Marksmanship program this summer. Seems a "no-brainer" since we have the facilities, equipment and instructors. We're going to make having the merit badge a prerequisite. This program should draw some older Scouts that really want to develop their shooting skills to camp.