How did you find Scouter.com?

Serendipity.

Eagle Courts of Honor are not a BSA-scripted ceremony; they're whatever you make them and should reflect the things your son values; if that's a druid prayer, that's a druid prayer. If the CO is imposing some kind of rule they have, fine, do it at the closest park and invite the people who aren't morons (less meatballs in your budget, that way, too ;) )

Khaliela,

What Eagle Court Workbook? Is it an official BSA workbook, or is it a Council one?

Serendipity.

Eagle Courts of Honor are not a BSA-scripted ceremony; they're whatever you make them and should reflect the things your son values; if that's a druid prayer, that's a druid prayer. If the CO is imposing some kind of rule they have, fine, do it at the closest park and invite the people who aren't morons (less meatballs in your budget, that way, too ;) )

SCOUER 99: why would they send a spy to an event where they will already have a representative? The reason that my son doesn't want any adults to speak is that your traditional ECOH runs like this: A district Scouter takes the podium and talks forever about needing more money to support district activities; then the DE takes the podium and talks about the necessity of funding FOS; then the Council guy takes the podium and talks abut the necessity of everyone to donate to the capital campaign; then you are directed to the back of the room where a basket is conveniently placed for each of those fundraising efforts so you can deposit your cash on the way out. It's like being stuck in a 90 min info-mecial! He's trying to avoid all the "give me your money" hoopla.

PERDIDOCHAS: Looks like a National thing; glossy pictures and a list of all the approved openings, prayers, closings, and ceremony scripts. It even provides a list of what types of pictures are acceptable to show in the "slide show." Ironically, pictures of the scout involved in scouting activities are not included. You are supposed to have majestic mountain scenes, pictures of eagles, and of course, pictures of the council properties.

It was recommended to me by another crew advisor who I met at an Area Venturing Officer's Association meeting. At the time I was getting a lot of cross-talk of how things were to be done between my crew and my troop. I've been asked to open meetings with prayer a lot. I don't think it was because I always matched the religion of the folks who asked me. I'd like to think it was because the folks knew I had the best interests of everyone present at heart. And honestly, love makes up for a whole lot of unorthodoxy. So if there's someone like that who, although likely to step on some of your "hot buttons", you feel has their heart in the right place, ask them. If not, I like s99's advice. Hold it someplace where sacred cows aren't offended.
Qwazse: Thanks for the info.

There is a crew about 45 miles from here, but they don't run the program the way council recommends and I have a feeling that what council recommends doesn't line up with the way the program was designed. (Council wants all crews to focus on one specific area, like cycling and run the entire program around bikes.) Unfortunately, the lasses that have approached us want the "Boy Scout Experience" not a cycling club. They want to go camping, backpacking, rafting, and caving just like the boys. That crew just treats the girls like a patrol from the troop, boys in brown uniforms, girls in green.

It was recommended to me by another crew advisor who I met at an Area Venturing Officer's Association meeting. At the time I was getting a lot of cross-talk of how things were to be done between my crew and my troop. I've been asked to open meetings with prayer a lot. I don't think it was because I always matched the religion of the folks who asked me. I'd like to think it was because the folks knew I had the best interests of everyone present at heart. And honestly, love makes up for a whole lot of unorthodoxy. So if there's someone like that who, although likely to step on some of your "hot buttons", you feel has their heart in the right place, ask them. If not, I like s99's advice. Hold it someplace where sacred cows aren't offended.
That's funny. That would be like a troop specializing in one skill and one skill only. We start fires, that's what we do, that's all we do, just start fires. Don't cook with them, just start fires and put them out.

I was googling al sorts of scout related topics and kept arriving to Scouter.com. Finally I just started reading all the posts while getting ready for my son to cross over to Boy Scouts. Eventually logged in and even occasionally join the discussion.

You may want to try the "Scout is Reverent" pamphlet. Item 34248 at scoutstuff.org

google.

Looking for information when I started to become an active parent, trying to help our DL.

Kept coming back in google searches as I was getting trained and had more questions, etc....

Tried to join so I could post questions of and on for maybe a year before the system let me in.

I enjoy the discussion forum concept, started several years ago with a group about pop-up campers/rv's

enjoy the questions others bring up. helps me learn

Maybe the better question is, "Why have you waited so long to participate in the forum?" I've known about Scouter.com from other adult leaders, but I blew it off. What was I to get from a "virtual roundtable"?

Disenfranchised with my Council RT, I signed on to this forum only very recently. I'm glad I did. Folks here dont just wear the uniform, if you know what i mean.

• Upvote 1
It's a rare troop that will tolerate a crew operating in lock-step with the troop. There is often an adult (sometimes a youth, either boy scout or venturer) that will generate sour grapes. Someone will demand a separate space (or time-slot) for meetings.

My crew meets twice a month. When the troop is meeting that day, we schedule the crew meeting for the 1/2 hour after the troop adjourns. The youth are what we call a "general interest crew". I.e., pretty much into the same things as the troop. We leave it up to the troop SPL and Crew president to determine which weekends will be shared activities and which will be separate.

That keeps most of the naysayers at bay.

Google. It seems to be the only really active board and I do not like email lists. Lots of good people here and have learned a lot. It is always good to here different perspectives on subjects. I think I have even made my first "frenemy" here. Just kidding BD, hope your trip is going well.

Serendipity.

Yeah, you must live in Bizzarro Scouts. I've never seen a single district or council employee or volunteer at an ECOH in my life, much less heard fundraising efforts at one.

There's no BSA-sanctioned script or anything like that for ECoH's, if you don't want them there, you don't have to have them. If the troop leadership is uncomfortable with that, do it at the park. If he's already earned the badge, it's his, and they can't keep it from him or direct who hands it to him or how.

Maybe the better question is, "Why have you waited so long to participate in the forum?" I've known about Scouter.com from other adult leaders, but I blew it off. What was I to get from a "virtual roundtable"?

Disenfranchised with my Council RT, I signed on to this forum only very recently. I'm glad I did. Folks here dont just wear the uniform, if you know what i mean.

Welcome. I'm glad you are finding it useful.
Serendipity.

Our Eagle COH's are just like any other COH--run by the boys, with the adult leaders and parents watching.