The diference, if any, between Pack overnighter and Family camp?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A semantic thing, camping is camping, an "overnighter" would be sleeping in a museum or church basement or gym thing. Its a cover-all, so people can't get around training rules in regards to camping, by saying "we're not camping, we're sleeping inside a polebarn at the nature preserve."

It really depends on what you and your people make of it. And really, what matters is what it sounds like to the folks in the cheap seats!

If I were a new parent, I would think that "pack overnighter" was for me and my son and "family camp" was for me, my wife, son, daughter ... maybe the dog and crazy old uncle Joe! But, not everyone thinks like me, so no matter what you call it, your announcement needs to be specific about who should and who may attend.

I generally agree with qwazse's answer. Family camping for our units is less program structured and more fellowship structured. Family camping isn't limited to Cub Scouts though. It's an option for all the program levels, at least according to the definitions in the GTSS. FWIW:

"Family camping is an outdoor experience, other than resident camping, that involves Cub Scouting, Boy Scouting, or Venturing program elements in overnight settings with two or more family members, including at least one BSA member of that family. Parents are responsible for the supervision of their children, and Youth Protection policies apply."

Pack Overnighters are structured Cub Scout events. Not sure I agree with 00Eagle that Pack Overnighter's generally require 1:1 youth to parent attendance. The GTSS says " In most cases, each youth member will be under the supervision of a parent or guardian. In all cases, each youth participant is responsible to a specific adult." At one point my council issued guidance that the ratio of cubs:responsible adult should be no more than 3:1 or something like that. Can't find it right now though so maybe they rethought that publication.

That's my $0.02 or so. Sorry to be quoting the book and all.

In "BSA Speak" family camping is a council or district operated event, run by trained staff. It's not taking your family camping :D. If your council runs a "Dad and Lad" or "Mom and Me" or "Fun with Son" weeked end - THAT's Family Camping, in BSA's parlance. Our council also runs Family Camp at our two long-term Boy Scout camps. This is a staffed camp, with program elements, BSA swim and health form requirements for a week. Usually its the spouses and families of Scoutmasters who attend, but doesn't have to be.

http://www.manypoint.org/content/family-camp

My understanding is similiar to dc's.

I taught a camping/overnighter course at our U of S last year and this is how I seperated things and much more experienced scouters than I agreed. It still may not be the "legal" terms but they work.

Day trips: contained in one day no sleeping at the site

Overnighter: A specific program that is run by a third party for the scouts. e.g. sleep over at NASA. 1:1 parent and child, extra attendance rules may be imposed by the site, like age limits and attendance limits. All programming planning is done by the third party. Hardest problems I've had are alchohol. e.g. campout at the baseball stadium and dad's drinking beer. Rules say no, I agree with those rules but the dad's aren't happy with me.

Campout: Sleeping at a location either indoor or outdoor, all programming and planning is done by the pack. Campouts are open to entire families of scouters assuming the BSA rules are followed. e.g. No sleeping in tents with children not your own

I generally agree with qwazse's answer. Family camping for our units is less program structured and more fellowship structured. Family camping isn't limited to Cub Scouts though. It's an option for all the program levels, at least according to the definitions in the GTSS. FWIW:

"Family camping is an outdoor experience, other than resident camping, that involves Cub Scouting, Boy Scouting, or Venturing program elements in overnight settings with two or more family members, including at least one BSA member of that family. Parents are responsible for the supervision of their children, and Youth Protection policies apply."

Pack Overnighters are structured Cub Scout events. Not sure I agree with 00Eagle that Pack Overnighter's generally require 1:1 youth to parent attendance. The GTSS says " In most cases, each youth member will be under the supervision of a parent or guardian. In all cases, each youth participant is responsible to a specific adult." At one point my council issued guidance that the ratio of cubs:responsible adult should be no more than 3:1 or something like that. Can't find it right now though so maybe they rethought that publication.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/GSS/gss03.aspx

Add me to the list of scouters who uses 'family camp' as pack camping with the whole family, and pack overnighter for any sleepover experience that is not camping. District cub camping are called Cub-O-Rees, Council cub camping is day, twilight or resident camp programs for dens or parent/son pairs.

There seems to be regional differences in how the terms are used.

In our Council, family camps are district level events for all Packs in the district (usually only once per year in our district). Pack overnighter is any overnight (camping or otherwise) with just your pack.

Hey got a signal....family camping means mom and dad will bring booze.....beer or wine coolers...... generally cub scout rules don't apply. You cannot camp as a family at a boy scout camp unless it is with your pack or troop. Our unit has struggled with drinking and drug use by parents at the pack camp outs......then unwed parents and mommas boyfriend and the drama that follows...... I hate cub family camping

Info Scouter is on the right track. Pack camping is organized by a pack (duh) under Guide to Safe Scouting policies and the supervision of pack leadership. Family camping is run by a district or council. In addition to G2SS, there are camp accreditations standards it must meet, just like a day camp or resident camp.

From the new National Camp Standards:

family camp. Family camp is a council-organized overnight or longer event for Cub Scouts

(including Webelos Scouts) and their families that involves more than one pack where the council

provides the staffing and program. These events are often referred to as parent/pal, mom and me, or

adventure weekends. Family camps for Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts, Venturers, or Sea Scouts may

also be accredited upon application of the council.

From the stand point of a family attending the event, it doesn't make much difference, only for the people running it.

In our Council, family camps are district level events for all Packs in the district (usually only once per year in our district). Pack overnighter is any overnight (camping or otherwise) with just your pack.
That is how the terminology is used in our Council too.
Hey got a signal....family camping means mom and dad will bring booze.....beer or wine coolers...... generally cub scout rules don't apply. You cannot camp as a family at a boy scout camp unless it is with your pack or troop. Our unit has struggled with drinking and drug use by parents at the pack camp outs......then unwed parents and mommas boyfriend and the drama that follows...... I hate cub family camping
Our Council allows anyone to camp at their Boy Scout camps for a fee, even the general public, as long as there isn't some big Scout event going on, like Day Camp.

DC, my comment was very much abridged and simplified. But for most cases (other than Webelos den camping and resident camping), Cub camping will be family camping where the boy is accompanied by a parent (and possibly the rest of the family as well).