Can you Charter without "Fully Trained" Leaders

'99,

I know where you are coming from in regards to some of your statements, I have been a training chair once upon a time. And unfortunately I've seen first had running a troop like a business and I helped train the leader, so he knew better! (And please do not get me started on that one as it is ongoing unfortunately :( and when experienced folks try to counsel we are told we don't know what we are talking about :mad:

But I don't like wasting people's time. I like test outs and "personal Counseling" to get the training. But the point I'm trying to make is this: if you have had training, or advanced training as some cases may be, that covers the same exact material, It should apply for the basic training.

I'll give you an example. I went through BA22, the youth equivalent of it's day. I not only learned how a troop operates, run a meeting, counsel, mentor etc, it was an intense course on scoutcraft so that I could teach those skills in the troop.Like you the outdoor portion of the old SM Fundamentals was silly for me. Also having me go through BALOO was a waste of my time since everything covered in BALOO was also done in IOLS, which I had taught.

Again the WB 3 beader being untrained as a ASM, he went through WB21C when he was a CM and staffed as an ASM, was silly because SM specific material is touched upon and expanded in WB21C. That's why I like test outs and personal counseling. Demonstrate you know what you are doing, and discuss changes in policies, how BSA does things etc. And yes BSA has changed since the 1970s, (don't get me started on that either Wink ;) ) but the way to keep folks up to date is Round tables and not making them redo training every time the name changes, which is what National was trying to do.