Giving a thermometer to a scout and then telling him to cook to a temperature??????

Why not teach him to cook correctly and safely at camp with out all the extra gear?????

At the top of everest isn't the boiling point like 150 degrees or something silly like that????

Sounds like a great canoe trip.

Mine went well, certainly challenging. I had no clue face first rappelling was part of the program. They call it Angel, but seems like it is generally known as Ausssie style. That one took me a few minutes to go over the edge. The site my group was one was about 50' with 10' of overhang then just 40' of free fall. It didn't help that the copperheads were out in force and we had just found one at our site that was tossed over the cliff. He had been sunning in a crevice right behind one women's legs for about 45 minutes before we discovered it. One pissed snake waiting to ambush me at the bottom. :)

I suck at climbing open rock, but eventually got the hand motions correct for the belay. I did not like standing on the tower at the other camp, something about the 360 degree open space was troubling. Will need to get used to that.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Do you now have a black Suburban parked outside your house?

Been wondering why I've never used PC's in the outdoors. I've now become aware that traditional pots and kettles waste fuel, a lot of fuel compared to a PC... made beef stew, done in 20 minutes vice 1

Thinking about BD's question, is there a source of hot dogs that are NOT pre-cooked?
makes me think of a scout trip as a youth. Freezing rain at night while we slept. Couldn't start a camp fire for anything. Everything was wet and frozen solid. Ate frozen dogs straight from the cooler for breakfast.
  • 2 months later...
We only use a PC for canning but from that process I can see problems using it outside. Unless you are real good with a fire you have less controll over how much heat it produces than a range. If it gets to hot, to much pressure. Not sure what happens then, either the weight pops off and your stew does a geyser impersonation or the lid pops off or it goes Boston. They are heavy, so is a Dutch oven. Cooking at high temp and pressure will change the cooking results. Presumably texture and flavor, not to mention nutritional value of some foods. Maybe a good thing in your opinion, maybe bad. Low and slow seems to be the consensus for nutritional value especially with vegetables. I am sure there are other opinions on that.
From what I googled, pressure cooking is recommended as a way of cooking to retain nutritional value of vegetables. Microwaving is also a good method. Fast is best in terms of nutrient retention.