I'm voting crazy.

A passenger bus cannot ford a river of make it over "kelly-humps." In fact it can't go a lot of places. Do you really want to limit the boys scouting experience to places with pavement because that's only as far as the bus can go?

im also voting crazy. there is no way owning a bus makes economic sense as a scout group. some of these trips discussed here seem less and less like an actual boy scout activity and more like a cub scouts. likely looking at some patrol method deterioration as well.

i would also have to agree with the fact that buses just aren't conducive to camping. most forest roads are small, winding and some aren't paved. you will go off the road and will not get that bus back on easily.

finding a place to park that buss in the woods isn't going to go well either, trailhead parking lots are notoriously small, oddly shaped and unpaved.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Take it from one who works in the industry---it IS crazy. The insurance, maintenance, fuel, and repairs (and they are constant!) will kill your troop budget! My advice, if you're licensed to drive a "

My old church tried that approach. They saw charters and rentals as money down a rat hole so they bought a bus. When the costs of maintaining it, insurance, finding a driver with a commercial license,

Our Troop bought a used 72 passenger school bus ~4 years ago. The ISD had received money to replace their fleet. Our bus cost between $3500-5000 (depending on who you talk to). A local paint manufa

The nightmare would be a used bus breaking down in the middle of nowhere on a Friday night headed to an outing

Same as Any Loaded Vehicle any Trip...Especially ones without Roadside assistance..Car with No Extra seating do not help if ones breaks down any ways

as someone who has gotten stuck in the snow, mud, ditch, flat tires often at odd hours in areas way out of cell range relying on a single vehicle would be a disaster.

I'm not sure the risk/reward works for me but that's me. There is a troop at the summer camp we've attended that shows up in a church bus with a van pulling their trailer. They bring 30 or 40 kids every year. It sure looks easier than having to wrangle 8 or 10 drivers to make that happen for them. They travel 5 or 6 hours to the camp so I can't imagine many folks being willing to drive to drop and then drive to pick up. As far as charter services go, our bus to Jambo broke down both ways. Transmission problem on the way out (vacuum line) and blown tire on the way back. The other buses in the contingent rescued us or we'd have spent the night in Indiana. Knowing the maintenance record of a bus might be better than trusting a company concerned about profit and gross margin. Just sayin.

If one car breaks down and you have 8 on the trip, you have enough coverage to shuttle the boys to the destination while the broken vehicle gets towed. If a bus breaks down, a commercial bus the passengers wait on the side of the road for many hours waiting for the company to go and get another bus, if one is available, or they'll arrange for transportation because that's part of what you pay them to do. if you are the only bus, you have to call all the parents to come and get all the scouts and transport them somewhere while you figure out the towing and repair for the bus It takes the issue of a broken down vehicle and multiplies it by a factor of 10 for cost, how long standing by the road and frustration rating.

Passengers should not ride in a 5th wheel. It is not safe.

Most of our places we camp involve driving an interstate highway to get to a 2 lane hiway, then to a gravel road with sharp turns and then some mud if lucky some cinders. Depending on weather that may be dry and nice or muddy and yucky. Busses aren't meant to go on the stuff past the 2 lane highway level/surface-city streets. A bus on gravel roads sucks for traction, the little ruts in the road are magnified exponentially to shake the fillings loose in your head.

I'm not sure the risk/reward works for me but that's me. There is a troop at the summer camp we've attended that shows up in a church bus with a van pulling their trailer. They bring 30 or 40 kids every year. It sure looks easier than having to wrangle 8 or 10 drivers to make that happen for them. They travel 5 or 6 hours to the camp so I can't imagine many folks being willing to drive to drop and then drive to pick up. As far as charter services go, our bus to Jambo broke down both ways. Transmission problem on the way out (vacuum line) and blown tire on the way back. The other buses in the contingent rescued us or we'd have spent the night in Indiana. Knowing the maintenance record of a bus might be better than trusting a company concerned about profit and gross margin. Just sayin.
dc, the professional bus companies are under constant scrutiny by their respective state DMVs. They cannot and do not get away with poor maintainance practices. Here in MA, for example, every school bus must undergo three additional inspections annually besides the required annual inspection that all vehicles undergo. They display TWO windshield stickers. Inspectors in RMV logo ("Registry" of Motor Vehicles in MA) adorned overalls check each bus top to bottom, front to back. School and transit bus companies are also subject to random audits, and they do get audited! Inspectors check repair and maint. records, as well as pre-trip inspection reports that drivers must fill out daily, listing any defects or problems. If the Pre-Trip and repair files don't jive, the bus can be put "Out Of Service" pending further investigation.

Passenger safety is serious business in our state, as well as in others, I'm sure. Google "Fung-Wah Bus" and "Lynette's Limousine" and see!

There is a big difference between MA and TX.
As a parent, I would be extremely hesitant about putting my son on bus that was not owned and run by a professional bus company. I would make up some excuse, like being in the area, no trouble to drop son off, etc. Or skip the trip entirely. Have you got a sense of whether people in your troop would actually want to use your bus?

Also, I noticed you mentioned a CPAP. If this were an indication of medical issues that might impact driving, I would run, not walk, away. I am sorry if this sounds harsh.

It sounds as though you have a lot of energy and commitment. Are there merit badges that you could be a counselor for, instead of doing the bus thing?

KDD

My mistake about the CPAP. I read that something was plugged in.... Obviously, I am not as familiar as I should be. Sorry to OP!

As a parent, I would be extremely hesitant about putting my son on bus that was not owned and run by a professional bus company. I would make up some excuse, like being in the area, no trouble to drop son off, etc. Or skip the trip entirely. Have you got a sense of whether people in your troop would actually want to use your bus?

Also, I noticed you mentioned a CPAP. If this were an indication of medical issues that might impact driving, I would run, not walk, away. I am sorry if this sounds harsh.

It sounds as though you have a lot of energy and commitment. Are there merit badges that you could be a counselor for, instead of doing the bus thing?

I have to carry a marine deep cycle battery with me on camping trips, must weigh 50lbs. No backpacking for me. If you use the the CPAP you are healthy. If you don't, it is just a matter of time before you keel over from stroke or heart attack or worse drift off at the wheel because you did not sleep well.

If you hear someone snoring there is a good chance they have apnea. Watch out.

"...or worse drift off at the wheel because you did not sleep well."

I have always maintained that it would be far better to die peacefully in sleep like my grandfather.....and NOT screaming in terror like his passengers.

Just a little dark humor there.....
I don't know what the answer is but transportation in certainly a limiting factor in many troops. I can see the appeal of a bus but the costs are very high. Can passengers ride in a 5th wheel trailer? If so and it is safe, that could be a solution.
5th wheel riders: illegal in SC, GA, FL, lots of others. Same for other trailers. Some states do allow riders in 5th wheel but like 5 years says below, it's a bad idea and even when it's legal it usually comes with restrictions.
KDD, there are minor differences state to state, but most of the regulations are based on Federal requirements.
So the "fun trips" are the ones where you abandon the BSA program? What does that say about the trips where the Scouts plan things, cook for themselves, build fires, go climbing, hiking, canoeing, etc.?

Yeah, absolutely spend the extra money to get the party bus.

(Sorry, labeling the anti-Scouting activities as the "fun stuff" is a pet peeve of mine.)

That recipe sounds great! Consider it shared! :)

Do You Ask to see every parents Medical records prior to Letting your scout ride with them. I highly doubt every who Snores admits to a Sleeping Disorder...Every One who snores has sleep apnea which cause Drowsiness. My CPAP keeps me breathing allowing me to get full rest...I do Teach Merit Badges by the Way... Nature, Pets, and Reptile and Amphibian Study for Now may do more later.

It is just an Idea...

just like building a BBQ Rig with a Chuck Box or A Trailer with a Small Cabin and the BBQ Rig with Chuck Box

just like Building a Nature Center at our Camp

just like trying to get an OA Lodge Built and OA Call out Area

or a Climbing Tower at Camp