• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Take it from one who works in the industry---it IS crazy. The insurance, maintenance, fuel, and repairs (and they are constant!) will kill your troop budget! My advice, if you're licensed to drive a "

My old church tried that approach. They saw charters and rentals as money down a rat hole so they bought a bus. When the costs of maintaining it, insurance, finding a driver with a commercial license,

Our Troop bought a used 72 passenger school bus ~4 years ago. The ISD had received money to replace their fleet. Our bus cost between $3500-5000 (depending on who you talk to). A local paint manufa

Take it from one who works in the industry---it IS crazy. The insurance, maintenance, fuel, and repairs (and they are constant!) will kill your troop budget! My advice, if you're licensed to drive a "Class B" bus, you're better off renting as needed from a local school bus company! Also, buying any kind of vehicle on Ebay is NEVER a wise idea! In my troop, when the need arises, the boss donates the bus, the driver (me) works for free, and the Troop pays for the fuel used. And my daily driver(which is an '08) gets a whopping 8MPG!
Sounds like my '06 snub nose...LOL

We're planning this route for my pack. Either myself or my girlfriend will drive (volunteering our time), pack gets a 50% discount

We have movie night.....But it is confined to our lockin christmas party and the council work weekend when we are in council camp cabins.

Sounds like old Tex...is running a Cub Scout Troop.........

So explain to me how you get to boy led with all of the parents and siblings along. How does a lad get his cook for your patrol and buy your food signed off if your buying all the food and doing all of the cooking.

Well thats what I was Imagining..Buses I am looking at have storage underneath and restrooms
KDD you have no clue how a troop works does it......

the Patrols would take turns as service and program patrol. The job of cleaning the restrooms would alternate....

But since it is old Texas own personal bus..........I think he probably should clean it himself as he is going to rent it for profit.

We have movie night.....But it is confined to our lockin christmas party and the council work weekend when we are in council camp cabins.

Sounds like old Tex...is running a Cub Scout Troop.........

So explain to me how you get to boy led with all of the parents and siblings along. How does a lad get his cook for your patrol and buy your food signed off if your buying all the food and doing all of the cooking.

Because Troop Has 3 Patrols...

Adults and Guest don't Normally eat with the Scouts

1 Camp out out of 12 Months

Sorry I am late to the discussion. I suppose there are some parts of U.S. where a large long haul vehicle would be easier but yeah the economics will be very hard to work for most people. (and I used to be in the transit business). In transit the reason for larger buses is that the major cost driver is the salary and benefits of the driver not so much the hardware. That is why it is often cheaper to operate one large bus even if it is not full over two smaller buses. With adult scout drivers volunteering I do not see as much of an advantage. But obviously if you get things cheap enough and you have expert helpers it could work for a few individuals. But once someone leaves the Troop it might leave the Troop with a burden IMHO. My main objection is that it easier to get into a lot of places with smaller vehicles (even a 15-16 passenger bus) than a big boy. I think once you use the bigger one you start limiting yourself.

Sorry I am late to the discussion. I suppose there are some parts of U.S. where a large long haul vehicle would be easier but yeah the economics will be very hard to work for most people. (and I used to be in the transit business). In transit the reason for larger buses is that the major cost driver is the salary and benefits of the driver not so much the hardware. That is why it is often cheaper to operate one large bus even if it is not full over two smaller buses. With adult scout drivers volunteering I do not see as much of an advantage. But obviously if you get things cheap enough and you have expert helpers it could work for a few individuals. But once someone leaves the Troop it might leave the Troop with a burden IMHO. My main objection is that it easier to get into a lot of places with smaller vehicles (even a 15-16 passenger bus) than a big boy. I think once you use the bigger one you start limiting yourself.
Agree TT. 15 passenger vans are a much better option all around from a cost and driver licensing standpoint. (Class C license as opposed to a Class A or B).