Most of our places we camp involve driving an interstate highway to get to a 2 lane hiway, then to a gravel road with sharp turns and then some mud if lucky some cinders. Depending on weather that may be dry and nice or muddy and yucky.

Wow I feel Deprived now, Since Every place we go we have to stay on the Paved parking Areas..and Our State Parks don't afford Off Roading Experience. Granted Texas does have a few potholes

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Take it from one who works in the industry---it IS crazy. The insurance, maintenance, fuel, and repairs (and they are constant!) will kill your troop budget! My advice, if you're licensed to drive a "

My old church tried that approach. They saw charters and rentals as money down a rat hole so they bought a bus. When the costs of maintaining it, insurance, finding a driver with a commercial license,

Our Troop bought a used 72 passenger school bus ~4 years ago. The ISD had received money to replace their fleet. Our bus cost between $3500-5000 (depending on who you talk to). A local paint manufa

Your "Scout Fun Trips" sounds like Cub Scouts. We do occasionally cook for the boys, and have special events (have shown movies at campouts), but honestly, I'm too lazy to set up the tents, etc. for a troop of boys.

Feel free to pop by and look at the Pictures of Our "Fun" Trip https://www.facebook.com/johnpaul.stoddard/media_set?set=a.693651410651654.1073741855.100000204053599&type=3

I'm not sure the risk/reward works for me but that's me. There is a troop at the summer camp we've attended that shows up in a church bus with a van pulling their trailer. They bring 30 or 40 kids every year. It sure looks easier than having to wrangle 8 or 10 drivers to make that happen for them. They travel 5 or 6 hours to the camp so I can't imagine many folks being willing to drive to drop and then drive to pick up. As far as charter services go, our bus to Jambo broke down both ways. Transmission problem on the way out (vacuum line) and blown tire on the way back. The other buses in the contingent rescued us or we'd have spent the night in Indiana. Knowing the maintenance record of a bus might be better than trusting a company concerned about profit and gross margin. Just sayin.
FrankScout. I don't doubt that's true. I am an admittedly small sample size. That said, 6 buses out to Jambo, 6 buses back, 3 failures along the way for our contingent. They won't be on my short list if I ever need to charter another bus for something :).
I'm not sure the risk/reward works for me but that's me. There is a troop at the summer camp we've attended that shows up in a church bus with a van pulling their trailer. They bring 30 or 40 kids every year. It sure looks easier than having to wrangle 8 or 10 drivers to make that happen for them. They travel 5 or 6 hours to the camp so I can't imagine many folks being willing to drive to drop and then drive to pick up. As far as charter services go, our bus to Jambo broke down both ways. Transmission problem on the way out (vacuum line) and blown tire on the way back. The other buses in the contingent rescued us or we'd have spent the night in Indiana. Knowing the maintenance record of a bus might be better than trusting a company concerned about profit and gross margin. Just sayin.
Three failures! Wow, I hope that had at least access to nearby repair facilities or replacement buses. Sure, I'd be soured too after that. I guess my point was that a professional company is better equipped to handle such things than a single Scout Troop. I certainly hope they "Did Their Best!" :)
As a parent, I would be extremely hesitant about putting my son on bus that was not owned and run by a professional bus company. I would make up some excuse, like being in the area, no trouble to drop son off, etc. Or skip the trip entirely. Have you got a sense of whether people in your troop would actually want to use your bus?

Also, I noticed you mentioned a CPAP. If this were an indication of medical issues that might impact driving, I would run, not walk, away. I am sorry if this sounds harsh.

It sounds as though you have a lot of energy and commitment. Are there merit badges that you could be a counselor for, instead of doing the bus thing?

Do You Ask to see every parents Medical records prior to Letting your scout ride with them. I highly doubt every who Snores admits to a Sleeping Disorder...Every One who snores has sleep apnea which cause Drowsiness. My CPAP keeps me breathing allowing me to get full rest...I do Teach Merit Badges by the Way... Nature, Pets, and Reptile and Amphibian Study for Now may do more later.

It is just an Idea...

just like building a BBQ Rig with a Chuck Box or A Trailer with a Small Cabin and the BBQ Rig with Chuck Box

just like Building a Nature Center at our Camp

just like trying to get an OA Lodge Built and OA Call out Area

or a Climbing Tower at Camp

My apologies again about the CPAP. I was obviously mistaken about what it's used for. No, something that helps someone get a good night's rest would NOT be a concern.

Most of our places we camp involve driving an interstate highway to get to a 2 lane hiway, then to a gravel road with sharp turns and then some mud if lucky some cinders. Depending on weather that may be dry and nice or muddy and yucky.

Wow I feel Deprived now, Since Every place we go we have to stay on the Paved parking Areas..and Our State Parks don't afford Off Roading Experience. Granted Texas does have a few potholes

You should get off the beaten path with your scouts more. Our state parks are mostly big RV parking lots, so we don't take the scouts to those except way once in a while. I don't like camping in a big gravel camping area with the sound of generators all around.

Dispersed camping areas, national parks, even private land around someone's remote cabin can make for some great scout outings. Most of our forest service roads have no pavement, I didn't think TX had paved over everything!?

You should get off the beaten path with your scouts more. Our state parks are mostly big RV parking lots, so we don't take the scouts to those except way once in a while. I don't like camping in a big gravel camping area with the sound of generators all around.

Dispersed camping areas, national parks, even private land around someone's remote cabin can make for some great scout outings. Most of our forest service roads have no pavement, I didn't think TX had paved over everything!?

Now I don't feel so bad; I was starting to get an inferiority complex because we don't have an interstate in the county I live in. (Closest interstate is two counties North.) There is a 2 lane HWY you can use to get to the County Seat, otherwise it's mostly unpaved county roads or National Forest Service roads in even worse condition. LOL

As for dispersed camping, around here the National Forest provides plenty of opportunities, so does the Idaho Department of Lands. You can also get a pass to camp on BLM Lands. If you're willing to do community service and can make friends with the right people you can camp on property owned by the Department of Fish & Wildlife or the CORE. And if you're up for a walk and aren't too worried about possible nudity there are plenty of Wilderness areas to choose from.

Someone years ago told me there is no law against nudity on federal lands. What is the story on that ?

I am trying to decide what would be more terrifying. Stumbling upon a grizzly or a nude Scouter ?

a lot of neigh sayers on the bus here.....

I say, hey if you can afford it and have considered the pitfalls, go for it!

I was looking into charting a bus last year for our pack's trip to Charleston SC. The old guard of the committee sort of poo pooed the idea so I didn't get traction. I should have just put it out to the 25 families going to find the level of interest. Personally, I have fond memories of the band and scout trips I took as a kid on chartered buses. Everyone is together and having fun..... and everyone arrives at the same time which make the life of the person leading the trip much easier! the way it was, everyone wanted to leave at slightly different times and do their own thing....

The budgetary costs I found were in line with my out of pocket for driving just me and my son by ourselves.....

I was wishing that my CO (church) had church busses like many do....

KDD: Why would nudity be illegal? I guess the thinking is, that far out clothing is superfluous. We have many designated wilderness areas in Idaho and most of them boast natural hot springs, which draws people who wish to go bare. There are some nude hiking clubs across the state so encountering someone naked while hiking in the woods is always a possibility.

Standard rule of thumb here is: The more remote the area the more likely you are to encounter weird people. That could be the happy-naked-hiking-granola or it could be the scary-gun toting-white supremacists with more ammunition slug across his chest that I would shoot in 10 years.

When it comes to grizzlies vs naked hikers; I've encountered both and the naked hikers are far more friendly. (Though the bear was at a distance and only happened once so it's not an adequate sample.) As for naked scouters, I'm the only one I've ever met . . . pitty.

Everyone Has Land to Camp on...Everyone Seems to have Unlimited resources to Get Scouts there..Come to North Texas you will be disappointed in Our State Parks if you have 1000's of Acres to Play in..Our State Parks have Paved Roads..Water and Electricity at Campsites..and Drive Up Parking. We do have hiking, bike and Horse Trails..So We could Take 1 Bus or 8 Cars to get everyone there..1 bus makes more sense to me

Our Troop bought a used 72 passenger school bus ~4 years ago. The ISD had received money to replace their fleet. Our bus cost between $3500-5000 (depending on who you talk to). A local paint manufacturer donated paint and a tire company donated a set of tires. Insurance is <$1000/yr (it's lumped in with the insurance for the trailers). In the last 3 years we've had to spend $600 in maintenance. We normally get 7 mpg. The troop pays for adults to get their license. We currently have 5 drivers.

72 passenger is only if there are 3 to a seat which never happens. We've had it pretty stuffed going to summer camp with 40 Scouts, 4 adults & 1 driver. The Scout enjoy the experience as the camp out "starts" when we get on the bus - they get to hang out with their friends. Typically pretty loud on the way to a camp out and dead quiet (everyone asleep) on the way back. It is a drawing point to our troop. We've had 2 LONG trips in it. One to Palo Duro canyon (9 hrs) and the other to Galveston (8 hrs). It does get uncomfortable after a while.

My advice - run the numbers - purchase cost, insurance, reasonable maintenance cost, fuel, etc., throw in the intangibles - ease of tour plans, Scout camaraderie, etc. Then decide.

• Upvote 1
Well thats what I was Imagining..Buses I am looking at have storage underneath and restrooms
Who gets the assignment to clean the restrooms??? Yuk!