46 Scouts earned Navy SEAL Summit Challenge Award

500 Scouts pre-registered and were provided with weekly workout plans and physical conditioning tips by the Navy

237 Scouts showed up to the SEAL Summit challenge where they needed to past the real PST run by SEAL and Special Warfare Combatant-Craft Crewman sailors.

46 Scouts passed.

"The decisions to keep the PST the same as the real SEAL standard came from a panel of SEALs who are Eagle scouts," said Capt. Duncan Smith, commanding officer, Naval Special Warfare Recruiting Directorate. "Both Officer and enlisted SEALS chaired the panel and the decision was backed by Admiral Sean Pybus, the former commander of Naval Special Warfare Command."

"The guys who didn't pass got upset, but I told them it took me four tries before I passed it. I am a SEAL today though because I kept putting one foot in front of the other and working at it," said Special Warfare Operator 1st Class Justin Smith.

from

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=75568

Mike Rowe's video on the course.

https://summit.scouting.org/en/Jamboree2013/Documents/Summit_Seal_Challenge_Information.pdf

Well done. Outstanding!!

That is awesome! Glad to see the requirements were not watered down. Wish I was in good enough shape to pass. It looks like a great challenge to bring to my son's Troop. They have some motivated young men that might find this interesting.

Like I said I wish the requirements would go from this:

"1. Before the jamboree you must:Be a Star Scout and have earned all of the following merit badges: Citizenship in the Nation, Personal Fitness, Swimming and Lifesaving

OR

Earn the Ranger Award"

to this

"1. Before the jamboree you must:Be a Star Scout and have earned all of the following merit badges: Citizenship in the Nation, Personal Fitness, Swimming and Lifesaving

OR

Earn the Sea Scout Ordinary (or Able let the PTB decide) Rank

OR

Earn the Ranger Award"

I specifically state Ordinary or Able Rank since they are not restricting the program to Eagles only.

Yes an ironic oversight not including comparable Sea Scout ranks. I hope interested Sea Scouts persisted like SEALs and were not turned away.

I wondered if any female Venturers attempted or earned this award. Now that would have been something. :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

“I felt proud…†That was the response 15 year old Masyn Buchanan gave when asked how he felt after receiving the Summit Navy SEAL Challenge Award at the 2013 National Jamboree.

...The PST (Physical Screening Test, which is the same test given to all Navy personnel attempting to become a SEAL) consists of a 500 yard swim within 12 minutes, 30 seconds; 50-90 push-up within 2 minutes; 50 curl-ups in less than 2 minutes; 10 pull-ups; and a 1.5 mile run within 9 minutes 30 seconds.

http://buford.patch.com/groups/announcements/p/summit-navy-seal-challenge.

Congratulations Masyn. Well done.

Note: According to this article, 44 Scouts and Venturers earned the award