The Wonders of Nature...

My goodness...I'm finally getting to see the Northern Lights...even as we speak!! I've been on the portable phone starting the troop telephone tree to get everyone away from the darn boobtube and out in the yard to see what I'm seeing. It's absolutely fantastic! Reds and whites...moving all across the northern sky...the migrating to the western sky...then slowly disappearing...

No, wait...it's back! A little dimmer now, then brighter! Wow...I feel like a kid again watching the July 4th fireworks, but this ain't man-made. It's even better.

Never thought I'd ever see this within 30 miles of Boston. I hope you're seeing it, too.

Gotta run back outside and join the growing throng of Scouts and Scouters and...whoever goes by....wooohooooooo.

(Yeah, I know...act my age...)

Saltheart --

I ran outside and looked to the north when I read your post at 9:30 or so. Sorry to say I either missed them or they were over-flowed with the lights of Milwaukee, WI.

I have seen the northern lights as a Michigan man. I envy you. They are beautiful when in view.

I remember seeing them for the first time over Georgian Bay in Canada as a 12 year old Scout. Fantastic!

DS

What a show that was last night. Clear sky, not too cold, moved the adirondack chairs out into the middle of the yard, and just sat and watched the show. The early results are showing that many in the troop did just the same. The idiot boxes (TV) were turned off, and Mother Nature provided the evening entertainment.

Once again, the common opinion among the troop leaders so far is that many times, the best Scouting events are those that are totally and completely unplanned and spur of the moment. There was a lot of talk about space oriented MB's last night. We'll see what the follow-up is.

Here's hoping that the good ol' sun will keep throwing his stuff our way so the show continues...at least for a while. In this regard, I envy those of you who live far enough to the north that the northern lights are a common occurence.