I hate that TAHAWK, some I guess are fortunate to have larger councils yet small enough to maintain that sense of Brotherhood.  I value my relationship with my execs and I would do anything I can to help them.

DE's (my council specifically) are run ragged mainly because the size of each District.  It is a job that I would GLADLY turn down if ever offered.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a former DE for five years in the same council and for the same two districts I can tell you that the re-shifting of priorities by National for the DE has led many of the good ones to abandon ship

You situation suggests a real leader filling the Council Executive position.  I know a few of those are around, but mostly not.   We have a nice man at the top who arrived to hold his terminal posit

I have been involved in Scouting for about 15 years now. I have been everything from a parent that wanted to "help" to Den Leader, Cubmaster, District Training Chair and now a Training Coordinator for

As a former pro and long time volunteer, I've seen good DEs, and I have seen bad ones. I've seen some coast, and I seen some burn out with exhaustion. I've seen some that had "leverage" over the upper management and didn't have to lift a finger to succeed, and some  were so hounded by the upper management, that they worked so much that their marriage, and even health failed them. And of course I've seen a bunch leave in frustration and disillusionment.

• Upvote 1

Competent people tend to remove themselves from incompetent organizations.

So true, Tahawk.   I recall a conversation with a DE (who is long gone and has moved on to a better job) who told me that the council required DEs to attend a regular Friday meeting at council hq that was always scheduled to fill the entire business day.   Not counting the 2 hour drive each way to the council hq.

Sure paints a bleak picture of what a DE's life is like.   Difficult to get anything done when you are held captive in a meeting for that long.   Skype, video teleconference, etc., all disapproved.   Must be at council hq in person.   To me, the council shows a lack of trust or confidence in the DEs.

• Upvote 1

BSA handles technology about as well as communications generally.  In the last couple of years we got the rule that Council cannot "share" volunteer contact data with volunteer committees due to a new "privacy" rule.   So we have to work separately to create unofficial contact lists to staff and promote events.   We keep trying but: Sigh!

• 2 weeks later...

We just had a new DE Start last week.  Young guy, fresh out of college.  Earned Eagle Scout in 08.  

Anyone have any thoughts on if having an Eagle Scout DE makes any difference over a DE who either did not earn eagle, or was not involved with scouting as a youth?

Depends.  If being an Eagle puts a fire in his belly for the job then yes, it could be an advantage for him to survive the job.  The gentleman who was my DE when I first got back into scouting is an Eagle and did a great job.  Since then I've been through two young ladies that lasted less than a year each because they were unwilling to give up their time after they learned what the job really entailed, one woman who came from the non-profit sector that was really good and one woman that was straight out of college and ok, but absolutely no outdoor experience.  It's like a box of chocolates........

Anyone have any thoughts on if having an Eagle Scout DE makes any difference over a DE who either did not earn eagle, or was not involved with scouting as a youth?

I don't think it makes much of a difference. Those few years after high school will tell more of the story.

There is a tremendous amount of busy work to being DE. So, I would think an clerk in the military would excel over most college grads. Obviously a college grad who was in ROTC or who worked in sales/marketing would have advantages.

Sometimes the DE who was never a scout thinks highly of the program for never having been one. In that sense, sincerity trumps history. I know one lady who does an outstanding job.

How a new DE performs (by the numbers) out of the gate is really determined by the mentoring of his/her colleagues, and the heavy lifting already being done by the commissioners. How he/she helps your unit with your particular problems depends on how much he/she's paid attention during training vs. the level of difficulty your unit is in.

I think that, at least initially, the former Scout (especially Eagles) DEs tend to put up with the job longer - they really believe in what they are doing, and giving back to the program.

From my anecdotal experience,  DEs seem to come in a couple of flavors ...

1. The young, just out of college type. (If a former scout, they usually last a year or more, if not they do not seem to last that long).

2. The older, nearly retired, former Scouter (these either last a long time - believe in the cause, or are beyond caring about SE pressure; or are gone within 3 months - disillusioned with the politics and finances)

3. The "between jobs" younger adult.  They usually do not last past marriage/kids.

Gumby master, I agree with your observation.

I know (knew) of a retired contractor, who took on the role of DE, almost purely because he needed something to keep busy and he loved Scouting. Certainly didn't need the money. Two kids in/thru Scouting. Years later, he became a "District Director", and was well respected among us vols, but came on hard times with BSA (don't know the whole story) and was forced to resign. His kids are still in Scouts and progress.

So true, Tahawk.   I recall a conversation with a DE (who is long gone and has moved on to a better job) who told me that the council required DEs to attend a regular Friday meeting at council hq that was always scheduled to fill the entire business day.   Not counting the 2 hour drive each way to the council hq.

Sure paints a bleak picture of what a DE's life is like.   Difficult to get anything done when you are held captive in a meeting for that long.   Skype, video teleconference, etc., all disapproved.   Must be at council hq in person.   To me, the council shows a lack of trust or confidence in the DEs.

That former DE wasn't in East Carolina Council by any chance? When I was a DE, I was "fortunate" in that if i didn't get stuck behind a tractor, It would tale me only an hours one way to get to my all day meeting. I had friends who would take over hours,  if they got stuck behind a tractor .

We just had a new DE Start last week.  Young guy, fresh out of college.  Earned Eagle Scout in 08.  

My observations after experiencing a bunch of new DE's roll through

The guy that was Eagle had more passion for scouting than the several entry level straight out of college girls that followed him, which made him seem at least to care about his job a bit more

He also had a better understanding of Boy scouts in general, which translated I think to a slightly better impression on others (maybe inspired slightly more confidence...)

BUT

as others have suggested, I don't think it made a hill of beans worth of difference to the job itself.

Might arguably even been a hinderance as he got pulled doing stuff he knew in no direct way helped the boys (only my assumption, not backed by anything said or observed)

Usually guys with experience, and if they are NCS certified even more so, get pulled in multiple directions that do affect their performance in their districts.   I had 2 years of summer camp experience, and was an NCS certified C.O.P.E. director. I also had heavy program experience via being involved with the OA as a lodge officer and OA chapter adviser.  Needless to say, I spent a lot of time working program events and spent the entire summer at camp.

While I enjoyed the work, especially working with volunteers to create a good program, these duties were not part of my evaluation. And when others had their roundups planned, new unit prospects lined up, and district nominating committee up and running, I was way behind. One thing that was on my eval, Cub Scout day camp, I was not able to support fully since I was at camp. Long story short, I was moved from one position where I could leave occasionally, to one where I had to remain at camp while in operation. So I could not support day camp. It was only after summer that I discovered the issues that the day camp had ( 7 Cubs in attendance ?!?!?!?!?!)

• 7 months later...

The usual story:

Fresh out of out of state college,  Loves Scouting,  sees a chance to get paid to advance the Scout Movement.  Signs on with our District, (previous DE is promoted to "Senior DE" at a struggling neighboring District after just over one  year with us), we like him, does a good job, even did some FoS presentations.  And now, after 3 months(!) is resigning, but is choosing to be our volunteer Pop Corn Kernel because he "likes the way we operate".  I understand he already has a good job lined up already (two weeks notice). 

Ho hum....