Does service to the Pack count for service hours

As long as the Scoutmaster approves it, then yes.

GTA 4.2.3.3 Service Projects

"Second Class requires a minimum of one hour on an approved project. An approval is important because it calls on a boy to think about what might be accepted, and to be prepared to discuss it. It is up to the unit to determine how this is done. In many troops, it is the Scoutmaster’s prerogative. Service project work for Second Class, Star, and Life clearly call for participation only. Planning, development, or leadership is not to be required.

Star and Life ranks require a Scout to take part in service projects that total at least six hours and have been preapproved by the unit leader."

Why wouldn't the DC count? He does service to the pack/den on an ongoing basis.

If the DC doesn't get it, why would anyone else.

This idea you propose just doesn't set well with me. Boy Scouts are always working with the packs/dens. Next thing one will wonder if having the Webelos come visit would count as service project hours. Hmmmm, maybe not.

I have always used the rule of thumb that focuses on the Eagle project as to who the project can be for. Something other than a BSA entity. I would in fact feel more comfortable doing something for the CO than I would for a pack. My former troop always volunteered to help our with our CO's major fundraiser and helped out with 2 days manning a food booth for them. Kind of a way of saying thanks for their support. Even that was a bit "borderline" because they did a lot to help out the troop.

Cleaning up parks rings more true to me than pack support.

I guess if I felt it necessary to ask if it is okay, that maybe something in the back of my mind is telling me it might not be appropriate.

SM makes the final decision, he/she's in charge of the program and advancement.

It should apply equally regardless of DC or not, but it's the SM's call. If it's not in the normal responsibilities of the DC, I might count it. Then again, I might not.

I would accept it. My only disqualification would be a more-than-token level of self-benefit. Other than Eagle projects, I see no reason a project cannot benefit other Scouts. The spirit of the service is more important than the recipient.

And besides, two hours? Really? Most our guys knock that our monthly.

This idea you propose just doesn't set well with me. Boy Scouts are always working with the packs/dens. Next thing one will wonder if having the Webelos come visit would count as service project hours. Hmmmm, maybe not.

I have always used the rule of thumb that focuses on the Eagle project as to who the project can be for. Something other than a BSA entity. I would in fact feel more comfortable doing something for the CO than I would for a pack. My former troop always volunteered to help our with our CO's major fundraiser and helped out with 2 days manning a food booth for them. Kind of a way of saying thanks for their support. Even that was a bit "borderline" because they did a lot to help out the troop.

I guess if I felt it necessary to ask if it is okay, that maybe something in the back of my mind is telling me it might not be appropriate.

I wouldn't accept it from a boy that works as a den chief because part of his duties as a den chief is to work with the den and that includes working pack events as well. So if he is a den chief for POR I wouldn't count it as additional service hours. But then I guess that's why it's left up to each SM to decide.

He is already getting credit for a POR. It wouldn't count for a community service as well.
Relax let the boy enjoy his scouting.......Absolutely everything he does in life doesn't have to be counted for something......

yep ... not everything has to count toward something. But if the scout needs hours, sounds like a great service opportunity.

As long as everyone is getting into the minutia of the issue. A DC's responsibility is to the DEN, this activity is a PACK activity. That's beyond the scope of a DC. I think the call it a DEN chief, and he is answerable to the DL, NOT the CM. He remains responsible for the den while they are AT a pack activity. Surely he shouldn't be penalized of such petty legalese.

Every time someone someone comes up with questions like these is because I get the uncanny feeling that it arises out of sense of uneasiness and then seeking justification for something that just doesn't seem quite right.

The SPL is getting credit for a POR, does he then not count his community service hours if he gets the boys together to clean up a park? Does the QM not get credit for it if he provides the tools for the project? Just because someone is getting credit for a POR (ANY POR) doesn't mean that one doesn't count their community service. Hmmm, community service? How does community service apply to a cub pack? OMG! does that mean if one does their daily good turn for another scout it doesn't count? Or what about his best friend?

Have fun running that one into the ground. :)

Condensed background: I moved back to the area last fall do am new to the pack and troop. By way of field promotions I have gone from asst. DL to Institutional Head of CO very recently. Very little troop involvement in pack beyond a few Den Chiefs and even that service I have not seen much of, but I could be wrong. In my opinion Pack is on verge of imploding because lack of parental involvement by enough that it is causing problems. As of this moment we do not have a CM. One of my goals is to get more troop involvement, partially to help where the parents are failing and partially to help show the parents what we are trying to build their children into. A few troop committee members do not think service to the Pack counts for SH, but SH to the CO does. In my understanding the Pack doesn't really exist as a separate entity. I do not want to dictate where a scout does his SH, that is up to the SM and Scout. I just want to know where I stand technically. A separate question is should I use SH as a carrot to get more troop involvement with the Pack. I don't think I should have to, but my main mission at the moment is to save the Pack so it can be rebuilt. We have had several leaders resign recently due to either burnout or lack of den attendance. At the moment I am not even sure we have a Webelos II Den. To few doing to much. There are days I want to throw in the towel on the Pack, but other days I do see positive steps forward.

If what you need is ADULT volunteers for your Pack, having Boy Scout YOUTH work with the Cub Scouts is not going to save your Pack.

You need to get your Pack families off of their dead ends. Your first priority should be to find a Cubmaster. If none of the Pack families will step up, how about talking to non-Scouting members of your CO?

You are the IH, is there a COR? How about a Pack CC? As IH you should be working with your COR, and your Pack, and Troop, Committee Chairs, to make, and keep, your Scouting programs healthy. To few doing to much - you, as IH, should NOT be doing everything.

BTW - The ONLY time that BSA stipulates that service can NOT be done for BSA, is for the Eagle project. As others have stated it the SM's call, not the Troop Committee's.

If what you need is ADULT volunteers for your Pack, having Boy Scout YOUTH work with the Cub Scouts is not going to save your Pack.

You need to get your Pack families off of their dead ends. Your first priority should be to find a Cubmaster. If none of the Pack families will step up, how about talking to non-Scouting members of your CO?

You are the IH, is there a COR? How about a Pack CC? As IH you should be working with your COR, and your Pack, and Troop, Committee Chairs, to make, and keep, your Scouting programs healthy. To few doing to much - you, as IH, should NOT be doing everything.

BTW - The ONLY time that BSA stipulates that service can NOT be done for BSA, is for the Eagle project. As others have stated it the SM's call, not the Troop Committee's.

Thanks. In my opinion I need some both. I am not trying to fix the adult problem on the backs of the troop. I also think troop responsibility to the pack involves more than a single Webelos campout once a year.

Working on selecting a new COR, yes have a Pack CC (but has a father in hospice right now). I will not do everything. CO is a PTO with its own involvement issues, so CM will need to come from within the pack.

I saw somewhere a troop put an ad on Craigslist for a SM. lol

Relax let the boy enjoy his scouting.......Absolutely everything he does in life doesn't have to be counted for something......

I don't believe his scout is even a tenderfoot yet....

So while service hours never hurt they won't count toward his rank.

4. While a First Class Scout, take part in service project(s) totaling at least six hours of work. These projects must be approved by your Scoutmaster.

Always the optimist BD. Always looking for something that isn't there. Did I say anything about my son ? No I did not. I wouldn't even consider having him run a full sized charcoal grill unsupervised. I would be asking 3rd yr and up scouts.