So don't go.

Personally, having been at the last jambo dealing with 40-50,000 visitors a day and having the paying Scouts in my troop blocked out events because visitors and staff jumped the line and took our spots, I would completely close the site to non participants. This includes all the council and national muckety-mucks who believe they are entitled to a guided golf-cart tour of the site.

As a youth I was blocked out of events like 2CD mentioned at AP Hill........ I don't remember the golf carts zipping around.....
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I'm a scout going and if I have to wait I WILL BE MAD. They are already making us where green socks and shorts and shirts that says 'Scouts', now they're going to steel our fun too.
That would be steal your fun. Have a great time and stay safe!!
The point about the Jambo site being clogged by so many day visitors is valid. The paying scouts were hounded out and blocked from their venues because of the mass of visitors. Want to go to Jambo? Then pony up the $1,500 like everyone in my troop did. The visitors center, with a "taste" of the Jambo is a great idea. Any bets on golf carts everywhere? 23 out of 30 day of the last has rained. It will be a bog.
So don't go. Personally' date=' having been at the last jambo dealing with 40-50,000 visitors a day and having the paying Scouts in my troop blocked out events because visitors and staff jumped the line and took our spots, I would completely close the site to non participants. This includes all the council and national muckety-mucks who believe they are entitled to a guided golf-cart tour of the site.[/quote']
23/30 days of rain? Better send an extra bottle of DEET - the skeeters could be beyond numerous
Yes, I'm a scout going and if I have to wait I WILL BE MAD. They are already making us where green socks and shorts and shirts that says 'Scouts', now they're going to steel our fun too.
Don't be mad if you are waiting in line with other scouts who came with contingents - be mad if you are waiting because day visitors are taking the slots. Then write thoughtful letters to national and your council office when you get home (maybe have your parents proofread it). Have fun!
Northwestpascout, first of all, welcome to the forums!

Second of all, it sounds like you are complaining about wearing a Scout uniform at a Scout Jamboree. You're just kidding about that part, right? A little joke that this old man isn't getting?

I hope you (and everybody else) has a good time at the Jamboree. I wish I could be there.

The point about the Jambo site being clogged by so many day visitors is valid. The paying scouts were hounded out and blocked from their venues because of the mass of visitors. Want to go to Jambo? Then pony up the $1,500 like everyone in my troop did. The visitors center, with a "taste" of the Jambo is a great idea. Any bets on golf carts everywhere? 23 out of 30 day of the last has rained. It will be a bog.
So don't go. Personally' date=' having been at the last jambo dealing with 40-50,000 visitors a day and having the paying Scouts in my troop blocked out events because visitors and staff jumped the line and took our spots, I would completely close the site to non participants. This includes all the council and national muckety-mucks who believe they are entitled to a guided golf-cart tour of the site.[/quote']
At least 5.000 tickets already sold.

"Visitors are also invited to the Saturday evening stadium show and a closing ceremony complete with Zambelli fireworks."

http://www.dailymail.com/News/201307100239

Aren't the opening and closing day show tickets More expensive?????

5,000 tickets, isn't that only 500 per day?????

I don't agree with the restictions, but I do understand why they are necessary.
I have commented on BSA policy. If you don't like the policy, you don't have to spend the money to send your son to the Jamboree. There is no need for nasty comments.

From the Jamboree site:

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD] One day pass (specific date) less show

[/TD]

[TD]

$35

[/TD]

[TD]

$25

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 33%, bgcolor: #958979, align: center] One day pass (any one day) less show

[/TD]

[TD=width: 33%, bgcolor: #958979]

$40

[/TD]

$30

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Any two days pass less show

[/TD]

[TD]

$50

[/TD]

[TD]

$40

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 33%, bgcolor: #958979, align: center] Any three days pass less show

[/TD]

$60

[/TD]

$50

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] All days pass plus show

[/TD]

[TD]

$125

[/TD]

[TD]

$95

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 33%, bgcolor: #958979, align: center] Show day pass

[/TD]

$50

[/TD]

$40

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I attended the last two Jambos as an ASM and served on our council's Jambo committee for this Jambo. Unless something has changed that I am unaware of, visitors will only be allowed into a "visitor area" where they can get a limited Jambo experience. Scouts can enter this area to meet the visitors. Other than the visitor area, visitors will NOT be allowed into the Jambo area or participate in any of the activities. In the previous Jambos, visitors had access to the whole place and could participate in activities which did mean that kids who had paid a ton of money had to stand in line longer. The new Jambo model has everyone scheduled for specific activities on specific days and times. Supposedly, there is no more standing in line. You show up at your alloted time and do your thing. At least that is the plan. And all of that excludes visitors.

From the Jamboree Council Guide available at the Jambo website.

https://summit.scouting.org/en/Jamboree2013/Documents/JamboreeCouncilGuide.pdf

The Summit Center

The Summit Center will be the hub of jamboree activity set between the villages and the activity areas. The Summit

Center will be the only area open to day visitors. On specific days, visitors may pay a fee and visit the Summit Center area and experience all it has to offer. The Summit Center will be open to regular jamboree participants, but day visitors may not visit the base camps or activity areas.

The Summit Center will be home to the stadium shows, the military exhibit, Conservation stadium, the Disabilities Awareness Trail, Sustainability Treehouse, and all the various exhibits and displays. Also at the Summit Center will be Action Point, which will have smaller preview versions of activities taking place in the activity areas. Those activities will be designed by the same professionals who design the activity areas.

Thanks, I'm sure I'll have a great time. I was saying I will be mad if I have to wait in line behind visitors that didn't pay the full price. About the Uniforms I have no problem with wearing my scout uniform, but I don't (didn't) have extra random green shorts and green socks. I do now of course. I guess what really made me mad was that our contingent didn't come out right and say we had to be in uniform the whole time. I don't like that I had to spontaneously (1 week ago) go buy more pants and socks.
I attended the last two Jambos as an ASM and served on our council's Jambo committee for this Jambo. Unless something has changed that I am unaware of, visitors will only be allowed into a "visitor area" where they can get a limited Jambo experience. Scouts can enter this area to meet the visitors. Other than the visitor area, visitors will NOT be allowed into the Jambo area or participate in any of the activities. In the previous Jambos, visitors had access to the whole place and could participate in activities which did mean that kids who had paid a ton of money had to stand in line longer. The new Jambo model has everyone scheduled for specific activities on specific days and times. Supposedly, there is no more standing in line. You show up at your alloted time and do your thing. At least that is the plan. And all of that excludes visitors.

The Summit Center

The Summit Center will be the hub of jamboree activity set between the villages and the activity areas. The Summit

Center will be the only area open to day visitors. On specific days, visitors may pay a fee and visit the Summit Center area and experience all it has to offer. The Summit Center will be open to regular jamboree participants, but day visitors may not visit the base camps or activity areas.

The Summit Center will be home to the stadium shows, the military exhibit, Conservation stadium, the Disabilities Awareness Trail, Sustainability Treehouse, and all the various exhibits and displays. Also at the Summit Center will be Action Point, which will have smaller preview versions of activities taking place in the activity areas. Those activities will be designed by the same professionals who design the activity areas.

Thanks that makes me feel a little better.

The Summit Center

You've got it, Beaver. I certainly agree with those who have mentioned that paying Scouts were pushed out by all the visitors at the 2010 Jambo. Then, there was the traffic. I don't think they will be having that problem at this one. I have checked the local hotels and most seem to have vacancies as of today, which certainly wasn't the case at last Jamboree at A.P. Hill.

Some visitors are more equal than others. VIP visitors may enter and participate in program areas, etc.

"The Summit officially threw open its gates to visitors on Wednesday, attracting 1,600 people within the first hour and a half of opening.

The Boy Scouts of America says that up to 50,000 visitors may attend the event, but when asked for the number of passes sold, they said they are not tracking these totals.:rolleyes:"

http://www.register-herald.com/jamboree/x1724755848/Scouts-welcome-visitors