The public is also invited during the jamboree to come onto the Summit Bechtel Family National Scout Reserve.

People will be bussed into the property from Bradley.

From there, visitors can go zip lining, mingle with the scouts, and experience what the jamboree is all about.

Mike Patrick, Director of Operations at the reserve, said, "Even if you're not a scout, you can come and visit the Jamboree. Any day that we are open beginning July 17 to July 24th, and all you have to do to get a ticket is go to visit www.jambo.org."

Several exhibits on the property will also be open to the public.

A more direct link

https://summit.scouting.org/en/Jamboree2013/Pages/Visitors.aspx

Story link

http://www.wvva.com/story/22799753/2...-scout-reserve

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand from our Troops SM that more than one parent that was interested in visiting was really upset that they could not visit with their scout in their troop site.....or walk with them to his activities........

Not exactly sure why I would visit......

So much for the BSA policy allowing parents to attend and observe any meeting, function or venue attended by their children. Seems to me, requiring a $35 fee violates that policy.
And the visitors (including parents) do not even have access to the entire area (like Basementdweller says) even if they DO buy a ticket. Right?
When I'm asked to buy a $35 ticket, I don't feel "invited."
I get those kinds of "invitations" all the time, unfortunately it is almost standard practice in the legal profession. "Save the date for the retirement dinner of Judge So-and-So!" and then 2 weeks later "You are cordially invited to the retirement dinner for Judge So-and-So ($90 for members of the county bar association, $100 for non-members.)" I'm not making up the prices, either.

So don't go.

Personally, having been at the last jambo dealing with 40-50,000 visitors a day and having the paying Scouts in my troop blocked out events because visitors and staff jumped the line and took our spots, I would completely close the site to non participants. This includes all the council and national muckety-mucks who believe they are entitled to a guided golf-cart tour of the site.

When I'm asked to buy a $35 ticket, I don't feel "invited."
I know what you mean Kahuna. Here's a scout invite from an Eagle Scout, Red Sox right-fielder Shane Victorino, "The Flying Hawaiian", which seems er, more inviting.

"Victorino invited the scouts, most of them participants in the Minuteman Council’s ScoutReach initiative for inner-city boys, through the annual Flyin’ Hawaiian All-Stars Charity Ticket Program organized by his Shane Victorino Foundation, the Boy Scouts of America’s Boston Minuteman Council said in a statement."

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/east_boston/2013/07/boy_scouts_attend_red_sox_game_as_guests_of_right-fielder_sh.html

As a parent that paid nearly $1200 for my scout to attend before extra uniforms and other fees, if he gets to wait in line and not do something because adult day visitors come in and take all the spots I will be really ticked. They don't get to do that at sea base or philmont.

The point about the Jambo site being clogged by so many day visitors is valid. The paying scouts were hounded out and blocked from their venues because of the mass of visitors. Want to go to Jambo? Then pony up the $1,500 like everyone in my troop did. The visitors center, with a "taste" of the Jambo is a great idea. Any bets on golf carts everywhere? 23 out of 30 day of the last has rained. It will be a bog.

So don't go. Personally' date=' having been at the last jambo dealing with 40-50,000 visitors a day and having the paying Scouts in my troop blocked out events because visitors and staff jumped the line and took our spots, I would completely close the site to non participants. This includes all the council and national muckety-mucks who believe they are entitled to a guided golf-cart tour of the site.[/quote']
So much for the BSA policy allowing parents to attend and observe any meeting, function or venue attended by their children. Seems to me, requiring a $35 fee violates that policy.
Seems to me too. Jambo appears to be another world where helicopter families and volunteers are tapped as revenue sources. Imagine even thinking of doing that back in our units or local camps. I think a no-charge, no-entry, distant observation point(s) would suffice. Visitors should not be mingling or interfering in the program areas with scouts and scouts who paid the $$$, did the paperwork, etc.,

Another $0.02