Do girl scouts need knives, packs tents?

I am trying to find something for my daughter that is scout related and outdoorsy. She is a brownie. I went to the girl scout online store and under camping essentials there was nothing that was actually essentail. Does my girl scout daughter need a frame pack? tent? compass or is this optional for girl scouts? I am involved with my sons Troop but the girl scouts are a mystery.

Sadly it really depends on the leader and the troop. Some troops never camp as a troop while others will camp several times a year. And then those that do camp some will have a unit that has the essentials like tents and other gear and some will have a unit with nothing and relies on the scout to provide their own basics. So really it is something to check with a leader about or if you are unable to check with leader maybe one of your daughter's friend's parent in the troop.

When my wife was troop leader she,my girls, and a few others had frame packs. Most of the other girls packed in duffle bags. They usually car camped. My wife had a Leatherman which served her well. My daughter was the only one with a pocketknife.

Talk to her Brownie leader. That said, a Swiss Army knife is useful to anyone.
Co-parenting is tough. You wil need to communicate with your ex to properly help your daughter through scouting. But you might have an idea based on what you know of your ex's camping experience. If she's into the outdoors and has done a lot of camping, chances are she will lead her troop in that direction.

Other ideas: raincoat, boots, survival kit. One time I bought my daughter a first aid kit and she thought it was the bees knees.

Since your Ex is the troop leader, I highly second the suggestion of lots of loud safety equipment... Perhaps lots of lanterns that put out a lot of light would be good... :)
Perhaps you could help develop her musical abilities. Do Girl Scouts use Bugals ?

How about some snow camping gear ?

I do like Pack18Alex's idea of those lanterns that put out a lot "night". Those sure come in handy when we do daytime stargazing. :)

OK so i talked to her troop leaderand i decided on getting her a backpack loaded with a first aid kit. WTF girl scouts!!!! Why can i find better hiking gear on the Victoria's Secret PINK collection than your store?

OK so i talked to her troop leaderand i decided on getting her a backpack loaded with a first aid kit. WTF girl scouts!!!! Why can i find better hiking gear on the Victoria's Secret PINK collection than your store?
Hang out at Victorias Secret often Stout ?
lol well when you type in Pink backpack into google. :)
Wow! I wonder if they'll have a booth at Jambo!

I have had the occasional scout with a pink/purple pack.

I'm sure your daughter will enjoy her gift. Good work, Dad!

I hear it costs $50 for a scout to get his picture taken with a VS model.