How About We Simply Work the Program to the Best of Our Abilities

Hey, why don't we simply quit worrying about the politicization of Scouting anywhere, and simply offer the program to the best of our abilities, dealing with "occasional" problems as they occur?

We will NOT solve the political issues nor the religious ones either, as some will simply refuse to even be remotely reasonable. So, just hunker down and do Scouting, keeping as close to the foundational principles as we can.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If y'all want to discuss Politics and or the Membership Policy we do have a sub forum for that. The reason we have separate forums isn't so that people can avoid discussing the political/culture war i

Skeptic, why can't someone fulfill their role(s) in their unit(s) and/or district, council, etc., AND come here occasionally to discuss the issues facing the BSA as a whole? That's what I do, and I think it's what most of us here do. Posting here does not have to interfere with other activities, including "on the ground" Scouting.

I think skeptic's post applies to outside this forum. I've had quite a few adults (and one or two scouts) bring up the gay issue. I know district and council leaders have had this as a routine part of half of their conversations. Someone called our HQ proporting to represent our troop with an opinion completely opposite of how the SM and I operate. We could be talking about who's bringing a keg of root beer to the next camporee, but this political material keeps invading the conversation. Meanwhile, I was talking to one of the electors who attended the national meeting, and much of the more interesting stuff has received zero coverage. So all this chat about how scouting handles the sexualization of America's unmarried youth does seem to get in the way of teaching boys how to light fires and girls how to balance the load on their packs.

I think skeptic's post applies to outside this forum. I've had quite a few adults (and one or two scouts) bring up the gay issue. I know district and council leaders have had this as a routine part of half of their conversations. Someone called our HQ proporting to represent our troop with an opinion completely opposite of how the SM and I operate. We could be talking about who's bringing a keg of root beer to the next camporee, but this political material keeps invading the conversation. Meanwhile, I was talking to one of the electors who attended the national meeting, and much of the more interesting stuff has received zero coverage. So all this chat about how scouting handles the sexualization of America's unmarried youth does seem to get in the way of teaching boys how to light fires and girls how to balance the load on their packs.
Yes, even Packsaddle couldn't keep focused on the orginal intent of the subject. The media and BSA dissenters has stigmatized the organization enough that the average Tiger parent isn't going to want to hassle with it. Barry
quazse, I am not hearing much discussion of this in "real life" Scouting at all. There were flurries of discussion (not involving Scouts) when things were actually happening, that is, back in January-February and then before and after the big (non) decision in May, but other than that, people in my troop are focusing on Scouting. As for what people on the district and council level are talking about, I don't know, I try to stay as far away from them as possible. (No offense to district and council Scouters who are reading this, but my experience is that conversations with district and council people are often dominated by "office politics" and money, rather than day-to-day Scouting.)
NJ, Maybe folks aren't as divisive on your side of the Appalachians! Consider yourself fortunate.

Or maybe not. I like our involvement at the district and council levels. (It's almost a requirement for venturing crew officers.) My district and council people have been nothing but helpful most days (and generally take a step back when we make it clear they aren't helping). They've given my youth (both troop and crew) support for truly unique programs and service projects. So, when they stop by at camp - as they did this summer, they have my ear. And they have been spending a lot of time trying to figure out which COR's may need some TLC when rechartering time comes around. I'm hoping next time we cross paths that I can do them the favor of directing the conversation to how my youth can contribute to the next camporee, or the venturing advancement roadmap, or promoting the recent Islamic religious awards.

(Oh, by the way, blessed fast to those starting Ramadan!)

No. That is not how America works.

Everyone gets a say in how things work in this country, and lobbying, handshaking, baby kissing, and speech giving to convince people of your position is a time-honored tradition.

I reject the approach suggested because it is "Why can't we just stick our heads in the sand and not get involved and stand up for what we believe in."

Scouts, more than others, should be passionate advocates of their beliefs.

Well and good T.J.; but there is a place for these things. And it is not where it disrupts the program or intrudes on others' rights. One of the recent reinforcements in the resolution just passed is that of NO POLITICAL ACTIVISM that suggests BSA is pro or con in any particular issue. BSA is a-political in theory, and certainly does not have lobbyists or other pols that push agendas. Still, this specific forum was set up for those that choose to do these things, so as to hopefully keep them from disrupting the other forums. My point is simply that the argument never ending and we can better spend our time if we really care about the program and the kids involved. As I have pointed out numerous times, NOBODY is required to join BSA. It is a choice, so if you choose to not agree, then you can simply do other things that better reflect your positions.

I am focused on the boys when on the ground. The only time this issue has come up is when someone thinks we need a unit policy for dealing with when one Scout doesn't want to tent with a gay Scout. I simply asked why we needed something specific to gays - every campout there can be a scramble to avoid tenting with any particular Scout for a variety of reasons.

I have kept my actions at the National and District level only so fa.

Barry - The BSA stigmatized themselves through their actions, communications and lack of communications through the years. We as an organization are obviously still learning how to handle PR in the modern, connected world.

I am focused on the boys when on the ground. The only time this issue has come up is when someone thinks we need a unit policy for dealing with when one Scout doesn't want to tent with a gay Scout. I simply asked why we needed something specific to gays - every campout there can be a scramble to avoid tenting with any particular Scout for a variety of reasons.

Barry - The BSA stigmatized themselves through their actions, communications and lack of communications through the years. We as an organization are obviously still learning how to handle PR in the modern, connected world.

We will just have to agree to disagree. Barry

Hahahaha, that's rich: You're telling me some mook in your troop wants to force kids to tent with gay kids? Adults!

Scouter99: What's a "mook"?

Horizon: Have you actually had an openly gay Scout in your troop, or was that discussion just hypothetical?