Health form issues

AS was stated in a few posts previously, HIPPA does NOT apply to the BSA and Scout camps. We are not a health care provider, a health insurance plan, or a health insurance clearing house. I agree - no health form, no camp.

First responders to a medical emergency at camp would be the camp medics. They can typically make it there faster than an ambulance from a hospital. And its always good if those guys know that you have a latex allergy or something else before they treat you if you are passed out or something. Asking little johnny if his mommy is allergic to something they want to give her isn't always the best way to find out.
Ding Dong, I'm just dieing to hear one of your possible examples. Do tell.

It also brings up a question, why does that woman's charter organization look at the EM form? Or is she afraid of the Unit leaders looking at it? If she is, then she's far too paranoid to be involved in any group, and should just sit inside her house wrapped in bubble wrap for her own safety.

Sentinel947

First responders to a medical emergency at camp would be the camp medics. They can typically make it there faster than an ambulance from a hospital. And its always good if those guys know that you have a latex allergy or something else before they treat you if you are passed out or something. Asking little johnny if his mommy is allergic to something they want to give her isn't always the best way to find out.
Off the top of my head.

An abortion or birth control pills is a problem with the Catholic Church.

Blood transfusions are a problem with some, I can't recall the exact ones.

Just about any medical procedure is a problem with Christian Science.

Immunizations are a problem with many also, thought there is an exemption for those I believe. But what if one under one of those religions still decided to get immunizations, that could pose big problems.

Unit leaders are often a part of the CO, unit leaders typically verify that the med forms are complete prior to leaving for camp.

Tell me there is no possibility for abuse here.

BD, I never said kick out, you did. I said used against them. Though I do believe having an abortion is grounds for removal from the Catholic Church as is birth control. A vasectomy is not allowed either.

Scenario, if a single male leader has had a vasectomy and then decides to get married in the church, he can be denied. I went to Jesuit high school and had many of these conversations with the priests. Some replied they would never ask such questions (don't ask, don't tell). Others were very strict in their response.

What first sparked this line of inquiry was a news report I read of a man in a motorcycle accident who was then a paraplegic. During his recovery he and his nurse fell in love and decided to marry. The Catholic Church denied the marriage because the marriage vows could not be consummated. None of the priests I spoke with about the situation would refute the decision.

I would imagine a man with testicular cancer and had his testicles removed or damaged by treatment would be in the same situation, though I never asked about that situation.

Let me make clear. I filled out my med forms as accurately as my memory serves. The only thing I left off were medications used on an as needed basis and would have no use for at a scout event. :)

while i am certain many would disagree with me another option is not including certain information on the medical forms. bsa has no reason to know your medical insurance provider, or social security information for medical purposes. and as far as the immunizations only tetanus seams required. for all other past conditions and medication you can simply leave it off and be treated just like anyone who collapses out in public.

allergy information i would still always include as leaders really should know that.

Ah Kristian, you are an adult who expects to be treated like an adult (AMC does this), good luck with that in the BSA.

I don't include include my SS#.

Immunization is not what it should be. There should be an antibody verification test.

I know some parents have suggested NOT to include insurance coverage so that the hospital will contact them if their child is treated. These parents are speaking from experience where the only notification they received was hours later via a cellphone call by their son!

Oh, I whited-out all the non-English on my health forms which made it more readable. :eek:

My $0.02

Ah Kristian, you are an adult who expects to be treated like an adult (AMC does this), good luck with that in the BSA.

I don't include include my SS#.

Immunization is not what it should be. There should be an antibody verification test.

I know some parents have suggested NOT to include insurance coverage so that the hospital will contact them if their child is treated. These parents are speaking from experience where the only notification they received was hours later via a cellphone call by their son!

Oh, I whited-out all the non-English on my health forms which made it more readable. :eek:

My $0.02

That is the best. I think for religious preference in the future I will just responded with "Yes".
  • 2 weeks later...