Will Scouts be Stigmatized?

Yes, all children with gay parents will be stigmatized regardless of BSA's policy.
I think it's innate. People are always looking for differences and this is a big one.

I know a friend who had sensitivity because he was adopted and never knew his "real" parents. He searched for them and found them. He viewed the people who raised him as his parents too, but it was very different. One set was blood and the other was a paternal friendship. With gay parents, you ALWAYS have at least one who is not blood related and sometimes two. It is a big difference. Adoption is a wonderful gift and an incredible service. But there is still a difference.

It's not about stigmatizing. There is a difference.

As for religion, many religions for centuries to come will teach that it is wrong. I have many close friends who are gay and they know I am Catholic and that I cherish my faith. We work together. We help each other. We care each other. But they know not to ask me to approve their lifestyle. We co-exist. That's America.

Yes, all children with gay parents will be stigmatized regardless of BSA's policy.
Our founding fathers built this nation on the principle of tolerance. With all the zero tolerance rules/laws out there, what our founding fathers designed is not what we now have. Our melting pot status seems to be boiling over.
  • 1 month later...

Our troop has gay adult leaders, gay scouts, and scouts with gay parents. They should all feel equally welcome to participate and be part of our community. We've reiterated child protection policies, particularly in light of the fall 2012 release of documents about BSA's hiding/protection of child molesters. Quite frankly that was far more concerning to parents than gay scouts, men, & women in scouting.

Our troop has gay adult leaders, gay scouts, and scouts with gay parents. They should all feel equally welcome to participate and be part of our community. We've reiterated child protection policies, particularly in light of the fall 2012 release of documents about BSA's hiding/protection of child molesters. Quite frankly that was far more concerning to parents than gay scouts, men, & women in scouting.
That is absolutely a fine choice for YOUR troop and in my opinion, your troop should be able to make those leadership choices.

When I think about the family membership of my troop, you would lose half the members if any of the direct contact leaders were publicly gay. And to be honest, I'd switch my own children out of the group too. Not because of a youth protection risk but because of lifestyle marketing that automatically happens because every adult leader sets an example by how they lead their lives and by what the youth see.

With that said, I hope BSA changes their policy so that your troop can publicly do what you are doing instead of having to skirt the values expressed in the Scout Law to choose the your troop leaders.

stOut717, Wolf, Bear, and Webelos, if I'm not mistaken. Well not to be the rank, but to earn the badge.
Wolf Achievement 11:

DUTY TO GOD (Page 94)

Complete the Character Connection for Faith

Know. What is "faith"? With your family, discuss some people who have shown their faith - who have shown an inner strength based on their trust in a higher power or cause. Discuss the good qualities of these people.

Commit. Discuss these questions with your family: What problems did these faithful people overcome to follow or practice their beliefs? What challenges might you face in doing your duty to God? Who can help you with these challenges?

Practice. Practice your faith while doing the requirements for "Duty to God."

Talk with your family about what they believe is their duty to God.

Give two ideas on how you can practice or demonstrate your religious beliefs. Choose one and do it.

Find out how you can help your church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or religious fellowship.

Bear:

GOD (Do ONE of the following)

WAYS WE WORSHIP (Page 26)

Complete both requirements.

Complete the Character Connection for Faith

Know. Name some people in history who have shown great faith. Discuss with an adult how faith has been important at a particular point in his or her life.

Commit. Discuss with an adult how having faith and hope will help you in your life, and also discuss some ways that you can strengthen your faith.

Practice. Practice your faith as you are taught in your home, church, synagogue, mosque, or religious fellowship.

Make a list of things you can do this week to practice your religion as you are taught in your home, church, synagogue, mosque, or other religious community. Check them off your list as you complete them.

Back to the Achievements List

EMBLEMS OF FAITH (Page 30)

Complete the requirement.

Earn the religious emblem of your faith. (A list of the religious emblems available to Cub Scouts is listed on this site. Click here to see it.)

Exactly Fred, choose the unit in your local that best mirrors your beliefs and values.. But, units (parents, scouts) with different values than yours should have the same rights.
JBlake what makes you think our Founding Fathers set up for the nation to have tolerance for criminals.. They use to hang them.. I don't think they called bullies, bullies, but I am sure they had them.. I doubt the vision was to have tolerance for bullies..
"...fall 2012 release of documents about BSA's hiding/protection of child molesters."

False: http://www.scouter.com/forum/issues-politics/390075-the-warren-report-bsa-inegible-volunteer-files

If you honestly believe that BSA "hides/protects child molesters" then you'd have to be either an idiot or a coldhearted bastard to bring or recruit children to the BSA, wouldn't you.