Aquanaut accomodations for special needs kids

KDD,

In the interest of camp attendees safety, I would assume that you called the national aquatics director to register your concerns?

I have attached the requirements for lifeguards interested in crossing over to BSA life guards. i have also attached the link to the Aquatics resource page that will answer your questions regarding the supplemental testing needed by Red Cross and Y lifeguards prior to receiving BSA certification.

As you have shown an interest in aquatics, perhaps you should volunteer for your council aquatics council.

3. Crossover Challengeâ€â€Anyone who holds current training in American Red Cross

Lifeguarding, American Red Cross Waterfront Lifeguarding, or other lifeguard training

programs may obtain a BSA Lifeguard completion card by performing requirements 1

through 26 without attending the standard course sessions. The lifeguard training

program that issued the training certificate must be recognized by the local or state

regulatory agency that sets standards for lifeguards at youth camps. The instructor may

provide a crossover training session to review and update skills and information prior to

the testing. The applicant may receive credit for requirement 26 if within the past 18

months he or she has served as a lifeguard, under supervision, or has supervised

lifeguards, for at least two separate BSA swimming activities for a combined time of two

hours. Otherwise, due to BSA procedures not implemented at other lifeguarding venues,

the applicant must accomplish requirement 26.

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/Outdoor%20Program/Aquatics/pdf/34519.pdf

May I congratulate you on all your field promotions...

Whenever I get asked at Round Table why we do things a certain way, I have to respond that I was that Tiger Den leader 9 months ago... the Assistant Cub Master (now Committee Chair) badge throws them off... I tell them I've been promoted... :)

Smarter to grab control of the CO, that gives you control of the program, but you can't be CM... :)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Sean's Mom. I'm sorry your son's leader was short with him. My son is to this day "legitimately, genuinely" afraid of the water, more so than anyone else I have ever met. He is a 21 year old Eagle

KDD,

In the interest of camp attendees safety, I would assume that you called the national aquatics director to register your concerns?

I have attached the requirements for lifeguards interested in crossing over to BSA life guards. i have also attached the link to the Aquatics resource page that will answer your questions regarding the supplemental testing needed by Red Cross and Y lifeguards prior to receiving BSA certification.

As you have shown an interest in aquatics, perhaps you should volunteer for your council aquatics council.

3. Crossover Challengeâ€â€Anyone who holds current training in American Red Cross

Lifeguarding, American Red Cross Waterfront Lifeguarding, or other lifeguard training

programs may obtain a BSA Lifeguard completion card by performing requirements 1

through 26 without attending the standard course sessions. The lifeguard training

program that issued the training certificate must be recognized by the local or state

regulatory agency that sets standards for lifeguards at youth camps. The instructor may

provide a crossover training session to review and update skills and information prior to

the testing. The applicant may receive credit for requirement 26 if within the past 18

months he or she has served as a lifeguard, under supervision, or has supervised

lifeguards, for at least two separate BSA swimming activities for a combined time of two

hours. Otherwise, due to BSA procedures not implemented at other lifeguarding venues,

I think as IH I can be CM just not the COR, if that makes sense. I could be wrong, it all gets confusing. We will work it out, the other PTO co-president could be designated IH if need be. He is a former District EBOR Chairman so he supports a strong program.

Control of program yes, but can't be a dictator. Volunteers do not have to listen to dictators.

I was blackmailed into attending woodbadge.......Don't go if you don't want too.....

Other than possibly networking with other scouters, which can be done free at roundtable, I found it a complete waste of time.

Don't worry I have no intention of going unless I decide I need a few days off from family life. :)
KDD,

You're right, COR can't be CM, I think maybe not CC either, but not sure. The BSA wants three people in charge. You're right about IH not being listed, but in the spirit of things... having a separate IH and COR when the IH is actually a member of the Pack is a little not in the spirit of the rules... My read on it is that the IH is the person authorized to sign, but since we don't assume they are involved, they can designate someone else as the COR.

In the spirit of things, I think if the IH is involved in the Unit, the IH should double as the COR, as they don't need an intermediary.

But technically, IH isn't a Unit member, so doesn't preclude another role.

KDD,

COR can be CC, but not MC or CM or DL. If a CO has a pack and troop the COR has to be the same person. Gives me a headache. :)

At our Scout Camp, we don't have a pool. All we have is the lake we fish in. Like many lakes, you can't see the bottom. If you do go into it, all you feel on your feet is slimy algae (which can be heaven or hell for a child with sensory dysfunction that is common to Autism/Aspergers). In my pack, we had a child say he didn't want to get in the water because 'Fish Pee and Poo in it" You know, he's right. We don't want to swim in our potty water do we? Our waterfront coordinator talked to him about how they test the water for bacteria and how the nitrogen cycle works (like in home aquariums) but on a larger pond scale. The boy eventually got in. He has no problem swimming. Aquanaut isn't required for Arrow of Light or Weblos Rank patch. So I wouldn't worry about it too much. Besides, modifications must be in the spirit of what is trying to be accomplished (i.e. a child with a mobility impairment can't take a typical hike, however, the child with the den can 'wheel' a few blocks to another place of interest). Getting in the water is a comfort zone thing imo, a massive change in environment. Only thing that comes to mind would be like indoor skydiving (which I don't know if it would be in the GTSS) or maybe ziplining.