Stories to inspire younger Scouts in becoming Eagles

I saw an interesting question on another site I belong to and thought it would be a good question to pose here;

Anyone have any inspirational stories on how something you learned in scouting helped you in some way in your adult life?

They were looking to inspire Cub Scouts with the ultimate goal of becoming an Eagle Scout, but I thought is would be an interesting thread here. ;)

I don't know know how inspirational this is, but it's one I remember.

I had just gotten a job at a hospital as the Radiology Manager. A few months later they had the Employee Pic-nic. A volley ball net was set up, and many vigourous games were being played. The net was suppported by two poles, and each pole had one stake. Well, the people running the Volley ball just wrapped the cord around the stakes and it kept getting loose and the net would fall at the most inopportune time. Being the newbie, I wasnt sure I should step in, but after the fifth time the net collasped, I figured I didnt have much to lose. I set the stakes back and tied Taut line hitches in the cord. The resident obnoxious know it all watched over my shoulder as I tied each one, and after I was done, he tells me he had never seen "those kind" of knots ever work. I just shrugged my shoulders.

The Games went on, people still fell into the net, but the taut line hitches held up much better than any arrangement before, and when the whole thing did go down, it was much easier to set it up again using the slip knots.

After the festivities were over, the Obnoxious guy came over and told me, "You know, until today I had really never seen those kind of knots work"

I told him, well, maybe those knots had never been tied by a real Eagle Scout. He took a few steps back, laughed and said, well, maybe not.

You know knot when they will be usefull

Our town is not very big. A little under 5000 people.

A neat little place where everyone seems to know everyone and you can only ever drive with one hand on the wheel. You need the other hand to wave at everyone.

My Mother-in- law was having lunch with me one day at our restaurant,when a young lady came over and asked if she was Mrs ....?

She said she was.

The young lady said that she wanted to thank her and her husband for all the stuff that they taught her husband in Scouts.

She went on to say how her baby had fallen into their swimming pool and was drowning.

Her husband had given the baby mouth to mouth and saved him.

When asked he said it was something Mr.... had taught him in Scouts.

Needless to say my Mother-in-law was as proud as a peacock.

Eamonn

Shell:

I'll tell you my personal story. Please feel free to re-write it in terms Cub Scouts can understand. Take editorial liscence. I was going to write it in the third person and reveal myself at the end, but it's getting late and the creative juices aren't what they were.

I call the story: "From 224 Parker Ave. to the White House and beyond." Catchy title, eh?

Well, here goes:

My parents got pregnant, graduated from High School, got married, and then had me. I would suggest a different order of events, but that's the way it happened.

As a result, coming into the world, I came into a family with few financial resources.

I was born with a club foot -- my right foot was twisted at a 90 degree angle to my right ankle.

I had my first grand mal seizure in 1971 in Freemont, MI and the doctors didn't know how to handle it. Spent some time in an oxygen tent and had a spinal tap, bunch o' stuff. The epilepsy was the result of scarring of the briain tissue from a rock fight I'd been in when I was a young boy. (see why I gave you editorial license -- there's too much information, but I can't cut out what ended up being life-effecting.) I had two more grand mal seizures which laid me up for weeks.

In addition, I had (and as it happens, have) tremors in my hand due to an un-related genetic, neurologic condition, but they too have an effect.)

At any rate, I grew up like most normal kids. Medication handled the epilepsy until my brain grew to adult size and the scar tissue that caused it thinned. My club foot was cured with a brace. Even though I didn't walk without it until near my sixth birthday, there was little effect.

My parents were extremely supportive -- even to the point of kicking me (not physically) if I ever tried to use any physical excuse for anything.

I remember shortly after I turned 8, my Mom and Dad sat me down at our formica dinner table and informed me that now the world was open to me. I could join baseball, football, Scouts, etc. I chose baseball. I was the worst! I played left field and only caught one fly ball -- because it happened to land where my glove was. Only played one year of that.

I tried little league football. My Dad dreamed of me being the star. He had a flip chart in my room and drew plays. I didn't get it. I was a lousy football player and didn't care. I was on defence and didn't see why I should run to tackle a guy who was already coming at me. Why not wait? This is not a good trait in a football player.

But one day I saw a commercial. It was a cartoon Woodstock and Snoopy leading a bunch of live Boy Scouts through a woods -- over logs, through creeks, camping -- exciting stuff.

I went to my Mom and said, "I want to do THAT!"

My Mom called the school. They said their pack was dead. My Mom called the Scout office and got the DE. She said, "What do we need to do to restart it?" Mom and Dad -- and a bunch of their friends old and new, restarted the pack.

Next thing I knew, I got my Arrow of Light as did my entire den. That was pretty rare then, and even more rare in that poor neighborhood.

So now I'm about to bridge over into a troop, but who will take a kid who has seizures in the middle of the night every couple of years?

Troop 234 in Kalamazoo, MI. took me, that's who. Mr. Breyefogle was the Scoutmaster. God bless you, Mr. B. I needed you.

By that time, I had it in my head I would be an Eagle Scout at age 13. It was a consuming, heart-burning goal. I discovered I had the tenacity of a heat-seeking missle when it comes to goals with that very one.

I was 10 and 1/2 at the time and had just earned the Arrow of Light. I also already had 4 ywars worth of perfect attendance pins at the pack level and no intention of missing anything at the troop level.

Let's fast-forward a bit. You'll probably appreciate it.

Lots of hikes, camp outs, patrol meetings, being named assistant patrol leader, elected patrol leader, merit badges, Dad becomes SM, Dad leaves SM for Lodge Advisor, brother joins troop, etc. Became SPL at the rank of life and age of 13. Brotherhood in OA at age 13, Vigil at 15. Eagle Court of Honor at age 13 ywars 10 months. Then Lodge vice-chief for several years, Vigil Chairman, charter member of Indian Dance Explorer Post, and part time job from age 14 to full-time college student.

Somewhere in there my parents told me I had to get a scholarship if I wanted to go to college. They simply had no money to send me. I said, "Okay." I had only a 3.0 grade average -- so much for academic scholarship. I was good in forensics and had an offer for $1,000 a year in forensic scholarship to Eastern Michigan University -- but not nearly enough.

My heart was set on West Point. I was going to the United States Military Academy. Like most things in my life, I had set a goal and meant to achieve it.

The epilepsy stopped me. I got the congressional nomination necessary, but my age of my last seizure eliminated me on the basis of medical requirements of the United States Army. I remember the day I got the letter from the Academy -- it was perforated on four sides because dot-matrix printers were the cutting edge of the day.

No West Point. Can't enlist, not qualified for medical reasons.

That was when I got the phone call. Seriously, that very day.

I had been named an alternate to the Ronald Reagan Scholarship to Eureka College. Eureka College is the alma mater to Ronald Regan, who was the President of the United States at that time. It was a full tuition one-year-renewable-for-four scholarship based on leadershp and future leadership ability. I'd been through psychological tests, personality profiles, extensive interview, campus visits, etc. but didn't really consider the scholarship because I was going to West Point and going to be a career officer with the United States Army. Period. End of report.

A Reagan Scholar candidate had dropped out. I was no longer an alternate. Did I wish to accept the scholarship? It was the scholarshp director on the line and he had called me at the clothign store I worked in at the time. I said, "Why are you offering it to me?" He said, "You're an Eagle Scout -- which helps a lot. But it's what you've done as an Eagle Scout and to earn the award is why we're asking you."

Well, I accepted the scholarship immediately. West Point was out, so why not?

So, let's recap -- I'm now attending Eureka College, a small campus in the heart of Illinois. Ronald Reagan is the President of the United States, and the scholarship comes with the opportunity to participate in 5-6 week mentorships with nationally known figures each summer, all expenses paid.

I'm a poor kid from Kalamazoo. Just a kid from 224 Parker Ave from a little house and young parents. Wow. Wouldn't have happened without that Eagle badge, which, at the time, I kept in the glove box of my 1970 Dodge Dart I'd bought from my Great Grandpa.

After having failed to gain entrance to West Point, I went off to college hoping for a career in law enforcement. The Reagan Scholarship Director helped me to get a mentorship with the Sherriff of Cook County, IL -- Chicago. I would job shadow the man one-on-one for six weeks. Somewhere in there I performed an about face and decided to go on the economic symposium with some of my fellow Reagan Scholars. The director wasn't happy, but he sent us to New York and Washington D.C. for 5 weeks to meet with the Japaneese Ambassador, Counsular General, Bill Saffire, The CEO of the World Bank, etc. I learned that I didn't want to walk in that world, but talk about heady stuff for an 18 year old Eagle Scout! Actually, of the four of us, three were Eagle Scouts and number 4 was female. That's out of 20 Reagan Scholars. Compelling, eh?

So Sophmore year came and went. I wrote a 150 page novella just for fun and threw it away. I had been in college theater very heavily until that point and after. The reagan scholarship director happened to see me throw my work away and fished it out. He was impressed. He called me into his office to discuss my summer mentorship. I had no suggestions. He said the scholarship would buy me a three-stop Amtrack ticket and hook me up with my favorite authors for writing lessons.

So my itinerary was, two days with Terry Brooks in Rock, Island, IL, then on to five days with Clive Cussler in Denver, then four days with Stephen R. Donaldson in Albuqurque. Cussler is the most famous of the authors I met with.

Clive actually let me stay with he and his wife Barbara. It was brutal in the best sense of the word. Clive's mansion, by the way, was once featured in Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous show in the '80's. He was famous at the time for writing "Raise the Titanic!" but has written many books since then. Incredible guy. In fact, Clive is an Eagle Scout and wouldn't be where he is any more than I would be where I am without that award.

Clive and I would talk and he would then send me back to the guest room and order me to stay there until I had twenty freshly typed pages for him to critique. Then he'd hack them apart and send me up to fix them. I'd return.

We did that for three solid days. Then we played with his antique cars. He's got every one he's written about in each of his books -- in an airplane hangar near the Denver airport. The dude is the real deal.

In my senior year, it finally happened. President Reagan had tried on at least one other occasion, to have a reception for his scholars from Eureka. We were told the Secret Service was conducting background checks on us. The first time, just as we were boarding a bus to take us from ILL to the White House, Chernobyl burst and we had to get off the bus. The second time, we had printed invitations we had to respond to, had to phone the White House to R.S.V.P, the whole exciting bit.

And, to make a long story somewhat short, I found myself in the White House, on the second floor, in the grand ballroom, listening to the President of the United States, my beloved Ronald Reagan (Politics aside, when you're next to the President, you're next to the President. It's all encompassing. It's an amazing thing.) There were 25 Reagan Scholars and about 22 Trustees there. That's only about 50 people which isn't many when the President is involved -- but I have to tell you that Reagan's persona was palpable. The man just drew the attention of a room like a magnet.

Another cut -- we all got to shake his hand in a line. Then I had the priviledge of walking out the front door of the White House -- 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue -- and stop and stare out on the street. The White House Sent a photo to my home about three weeks later. It bore the signature of Ronald Reagan. Cool stuff.

I wasn't home when the photograph arrived. It was time for my international experience as a Reagan Scholar. I was in Peru -- in the backcountry between Macchu Picchu and Cuzco. I was at Kilometer 88. I was there to gain adventures to write about in my writing career. I was there from the end of June 1987 to early August 1987. The country was not stable and I had more adventures than I care to repeat.

I saved a man's life there because I'm an Eagle Scout and had the skills, but that's a different story. I'm not afraid to tell the story, and have told part of it on this board. Feel free to ask if I haven't put you to sleep already.

When I graduated College, I became a district executive. That was in 1988. I've been in the Scouting Profession ever since and will remain so until one of three things happens, 1) I chose to retire, or someone retires me 2) The BSA changes to below my tolerance levels in standards of membership, 3) I die.

Whoops --- I forgot one other part of my story that happens to be my greatest joy in life -- I met my wife at Scout Camp. She was the nature director and health officer. If not for that, my guiding light would be somewhere else.

Thanks for reading. It felt good to tell my story.

PS -- I don't recommend reading the entire thing to Cub Scouts. They'll be asleep faster than you were :)

Dave Steele

Great story Dave. Thanks.

I know meeting the President must have been big, but I'm a big fan of Clive Cussler. That visit had to be unbelievable. I'm unscoutlike green with envy.

After Dave's short novel I'm embarressed to add anything.

In my life I can't say I'm gone out of my way looking for Eagle scouts or other scouts but I always seem to run into them. In my college dorm wing we had 12 guys. 6 were Eagle scouts and 2 were Life, one never got past 1st Class but was a scout for 4 years. We had the best wing on campus as far a I was concerned. We studied, but come weekends, we'd head off for adventure. We camped, hiked, travelled. We were a patrol. We organized trips, outings, parties. Others in the dorm couldn't get over how much we did. We all graduated. While we are not company presidents, heroes or celebrities, we all have advanced to some level of success. We all have healthy families and are active in our communities. None are divorced.

I currently work in a small department in a large engineering/contruction firm. There are 6 in my small group. 3 Eagle scouts(including the boss, whose two sons are Eagles) and 2 Life scouts. No one knew when we were hired that we were Eagles, the topic came up in conversation one day at a meeting and we were all a little suprised at our common scouting background. The previous CEO of our firm is an Eagle scout.

I don't know how inspirational it is, but I can say I appreciate the honor of being an Eagle more now than when I earned it.

Thanks for letting me share.

SA

Hops -- Great job. I look forward to reading your story in 10 years.

Scoutingagain: Thanks for the compliments, but it sure sounds like you keep excellent company. If you private message me with your address, I'll send you photocopies of the letters I received from Clive Cussler for a couple of years -- his are handwritten and sometimes two-sides. Interesting guy. I'll also make you a photocopy of the letter I received hand written from Ronald Reagan in 1990 -- just before he announced his Alzhimers.

I wrote to him the Friday before I left for a camporee. My wife laughed and said a staffer would send me an autographed (by machine) picture. I knew he didn't operate that way, not for His scholars.

I got home the following Friday and my wife greeted me at the door with a grin. She had a large manila envelope in her hand. It had no postage attached, only a fake signature from Reagan and the seal of the President of the United States on it. I opened the envelope. In between two pieces of cardboard was a small oddly sized envelope addressed in hand-writing in Reagans' hand. It was to me. The envelope is off-white and bears a gold embossed seal of the White House. Inside was a hand-written card of the same color, heavy stock, and in Reagan's own hand. It's a personal note from a former President. My former President, if you will.

Clive's letters are equally personal, but I'm willing to share them with the promise that they'll never be published.

Side comment -- it's funny how unthinking kids can be -- when Clive Cussler wrote to me in his own hand, my Mom flipped out. She couldn't believe a major author was writing to her son. She really blew a mental gasket when she saw the letter from a former President and it wasn't a form letter. The kid (me) took it as a matter of course. Why wouldn't I? :) I'd been there.

Our detractors can tell me all they want that the BSA doesn't prepare youth to face the world. I don't buy it. Not one little bit.

DS

I'm a First Class Girl Scout and I also recieved a letter from the President, President Carter for me. Actually, any President in office will still send a congradutory letter to any Eagle Boy Scout or First Class Girl Scout. You just need to request it now, (it used to be done automatically).

As far as inspirational stories, the only real example I have is of my Brother, Eagle as of 1981. He hasn't done anything newsworthy, nothing that anyone would take notice of if you weren't looking. He lives any ordiniary life you can imagine. But in living his life he makes solid moral choices along the way. He doesn't hold back when it's time to help others, many times putting others before himself. And he doesn't just sit back, he lives life to its fullest. He leads when its necessary, he follows when its necessary. He gives others time to shine and rarely takes the spotlight onto himself. MAny times, he points the spotlight to others! Yet, his Eagle Wings shine so bright that you can't help but take notice!

To me, this is what a true Eagle is. Someone who can stand tall and live life as it was intended. .....My brother! ;)

Have to admit to having a teeny,tiny problem.

While Eagle Scout is a good and worthwhile goal.

I kind of think that we are more in the business of the mission of Scouting.

Not every Scout will be an Eagle Scout. However we as adults in Scouting can inspire every Scout we meet to do his best and be all that he can be.

Hate to be a stick in the mud.

But I do think that maybe we over do advancement at the cost of other parts of the program.

Eamonn

Thanks, Eamonn, for the healthy reminder.

Having said that, I have no problem with people inspiring young Scouts to work toward Eagle -- as long as all understand that not attaining the rank of Eagle is not a failure. The goal of Scouting is not to produce Eagle Scouts, it is to instill values in young people (reference: Mission statement of the BSA.)

However, in my own personal case, my life would be radically different if I had not achieved the rank of Eagle -- never would have gotten that scholarship. I'd like to think my values would be the same, but have no way of knowing since I don't have a "way back" machine.

DS

My son, who is now 18, working at one of the Council's Summer Camps as an assisitant Rangemaster (three years on the High School Rifle team)has a urinary stoma. He

has to catheterize his stoma every 3-4 hours and sleep pat night with a drainage bag on. Every day he is supposed (!!!) to flush out his stoma with 180 CCs of water (3 60CC syringes)

He was born with epispadias, which is a form of extrophy. He never could control his bladder as he flat didnt have the muscles to hold the urine in. He has had many major operations. While he was a very young scout, he had his ureters transplanted from his bladder to his colon so he would defecate urine and stool at the same time. This kept him dry, but it also meant if he laughed loud or was startled, an "accident" was likely. He had frequent kidney infections as well. When he got "old enough" he got his current set-up. The surgeon took the ureters off his colon and put them back on his bladder. Then the appendix was taken and placed on the bladder and brought out to the lower abdominal wall, just below his belt line. Normally he was a gauze patch over it. He was a patrol leader for the 2001 National Jamboree and I was also there as an ASM for another troop. He had one foor locker for himself and another for his medical suplies.

His time at camp is interesting too, catheters and urinary bags are hard to explain at 18, heck even at 14, but he does well. He has never had a problem with the other boys, he takes a "this is me" attitude and its accepted.

it was tough when he defecated urine and stool, as he just couldnt go "up to a tree" he had constant diarrhea. Its better with the catheter, at least he can go off into the woods like "normal kids".

Did I mention he is an Eagle Scout with a silver (highest you can get)palm?

All you gotta do is beleive