National Outdoor Achievement Badges and Award

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know of at least one scouters son who will receive the award unearned.

I'm pretty sure both my sons should have the camping segment with a pin thingy.

They are low on hours on the water, but did go to a San Diego beach camp and got a lot of hours there so I'd have to go thru and add them up plus other hours swimming and boating/canoeing.

They certainly are low on the high adventure stuff and the others too.

There is something at the troop level for most of these, but may not be enough that a boy who is with the troop from 11-18 still might not get enough hours/miles. So it would be a good thing to suggest to the scouts to kick it up a notch.

My son's troop is active in all areas in this award except for riding........Lucky that way I guess......So there is no need to look beyond the troop for nights or miles, or hours for any of the requirements.
Anyone care to price out the Horsemanship MB plus 450 miles of riding at a Scout Ranch ? (2 gold devices required for Medal).

After that the medal better be gold.

Not every Scout is in Scouting to earn Rank and To Earn Awards. Some Scouts join just for the Friendship and Fun. Fun Being the Camping, Hiking, Canoeing, Sail boating and the Great Scout Bases and Camps and the Fun they can have there. Fun is affording them a chance to do something Different than what they can do at Home. Scouting is never fun when you force Rank and earning Awards on them. To Many People have forgotten the "outing" in Scouting. Sounds like the Award is for your "pride".

Not every Scout is in Scouting to earn Rank and To Earn Awards. Some Scouts join just for the Friendship and Fun. Fun Being the Camping, Hiking, Canoeing, Sail boating and the Great Scout Bases and Camps and the Fun they can have there. Fun is affording them a chance to do something Different than what they can do at Home. Scouting is never fun when you force Rank and earning Awards on them. To Many People have forgotten the "outing" in Scouting. Sounds like the Award is for your "pride".
Really ? And your evidence is what ?

So much for a scout is courteous.

My son want to camp, hike, canoe, sail and bike. His troop wants to play baseball, la cross and Halo.

You are right about the outing in scouting, what part of this award involves sitting around in a cabin ?

My son's troop is active in all areas in this award except for riding........Lucky that way I guess......So there is no need to look beyond the troop for nights or miles, or hours for any of the requirements.
Probably less expensive than earning 2 gold devices in the Adventure badge.

The medal only requires Camping, the gold devices in the other badges can be in any two of the remaining 4. So if riding is too expensive, look at aquatics, adventure, or hiking.

JP, while that's true in general, Ding Dong already made it clear that his son is interested in the award; save the speech.

[h=2]National Outdoor Achievement Badges and Award[/h]

06-30-2013, 10:30 Am

""' Do I understand the requirements correctly ?""

I would say NO you don't Understand the requirements

As many have already pointed out " under the Auspices of the BSA simply means means following BSA Rules of Representing BSA..Obtaining BSA Tour Permit..FOLLOWING ALL BSA SAFETY RULES. Following Two Deep Leadership. Functioning as A Scout Unit..Not as an Individual or as a Family.

Aquatics. A Boy Scout or Varsity Scout may earn the National Outdoor Badge for Aquatics upon successfully completing the following requirements:

1. Earn the First Class rank.
  2. Earn the Swimming and Lifesaving merit badges.
  3. Earn the Mile Swim BSA Award.
  4. Earn at least one of the following merit badges: Canoeing, Kayaking, Rowing, Small-Boat Sailing, Whitewater. Complete at least 25 hours of on-the-water time, applying the skills that you learned in the merit badges.
  5. Complete at least 50 hours of any combination of swimming, canoeing, kayaking, rowing, small-boat sailing, or whitewater activity under the auspices of the Boy Scouts of America, including time spent in requirements 2 through 4.

A gold device may be earned for each additional 25 hours of aquatic activity. A silver device is earned for each additional 100 hours of aquatic activity. The Scout may wear any combination of devices totaling his current number of hours of aquatic activity.....

Where does it Say anything about 100 Hours of Swimming. Note Requirement 5 says any combination.

This can be easily accomplished at any Sea Base, or Northern Tier or even the New SWAMPBASE in Louisiana. Next Year Even the Summit will be Offering White Water Rafting. The New SWAMPBASE is offering Kayaking, Airboat Rides, Swimming.. I believe They Paddle 65 Miles.. 6 x 24 Hour is 142 Hours right there..alone..Bingo you Have Silver in One trip..

I'm pretty sure both my sons should have the camping segment with a pin thingy.

They are low on hours on the water, but did go to a San Diego beach camp and got a lot of hours there so I'd have to go thru and add them up plus other hours swimming and boating/canoeing.

They certainly are low on the high adventure stuff and the others too.

There is something at the troop level for most of these, but may not be enough that a boy who is with the troop from 11-18 still might not get enough hours/miles. So it would be a good thing to suggest to the scouts to kick it up a notch.

Unfortunately, unlike most awards, they don't just get it when you notice they qualify; they have to fill out the application and take it to the council. So, bring it to their attention, and give them a blank application. Then once some of the other guys see it on their pocket, hopefully they'll want to "kick it up."

Look, KDD, the meaning of "under the auspices of BSA" is clear: It means on an official patrol, troop, district, council, national, or OA activity. It does not mean every/any time a boy who is a scout touches a horse, bike, boot, tent, or swim trunks.

If you want to be cute and count non-scout events, then you might as well count every shower or bath for the next 50 days and mark him off for 25 hours of aquatics time, and have him wear his boots to the mall and count it as hiking. Earning the medal is a great, really cool goal for Prince Ding Dong, but if you're going to fudge it, you make it worth nothing.

Regardless of its impact on Prince Ding Dong's ability to earn the NOA, if your troop doesn't meet summers, get on BeAScout.org tonight and find a new troop.

King Ding Dong commented

Today, 06:05 PM

Well Mainly because You kept say "I" instead of "We" or "He" in your Original Post.

And Please Define Your Version of Courteous?

Did I use profane Language?

Did I call You or Anyone Derogatory Language?

Was I bullying You or Anyone else in My Post?

Did I Yell (All Caps) at You?

Look, KDD, the meaning of "under the auspices of BSA" is clear: It means on an official patrol, troop, district, council, national, or OA activity. It does not mean every/any time a boy who is a scout touches a horse, bike, boot, tent, or swim trunks.

If you want to be cute and count non-scout events, then you might as well count every shower or bath for the next 50 days and mark him off for 25 hours of aquatics time, and have him wear his boots to the mall and count it as hiking. Earning the medal is a great, really cool goal for Prince Ding Dong, but if you're going to fudge it, you make it worth nothing.

Regardless of its impact on Prince Ding Dong's ability to earn the NOA, if your troop doesn't meet summers, get on BeAScout.org tonight and find a new troop.

Nice. Insulting a scout.
King Ding Dong commented

Today, 06:05 PM

Well Mainly because You kept say "I" instead of "We" or "He" in your Original Post.

And Please Define Your Version of Courteous?

Did I use profane Language?

Did I call You or Anyone Derogatory Language?

Was I bullying You or Anyone else in My Post?

Did I Yell (All Caps) at You?

He wants to earn the award. Clear from the post. I am trying to understand the BSA legealese, You expect a child to do that ?

What are you talking about? I don't know your kid's name; you're King, that makes him Prince. If I wanted to insult him I would've called him Eugene Dong or Tiny Dong. :p