Reconciliation Issue

:)

There are only 4 options in life:

1) I believe and there is a God. - Well in that case I have it made in the shade.

2) I believe and there is no God - In that case I've wasted a lot of time and energy in this life, except maybe I was a bit more "moral/ethical" than I would not normally have been.

3) I don't believe and there is no God - It's a wash, life was good/bad or indifferent, but that's all there is to it.

4) I don't believe and there is a God - I'm screwed.

Everyone takes their chances. How's it working out for you?

Take all the scientific knowledge we possess and lump it all together and still the human mind has no idea of how this masterfully intricate existence has coincidentally came into being. There is far more we don't know than what we do, scientifically. Our high-tech medical knowledge/practices will be barbaric 200 years from now just as it was 200 years ago.

Science is not the journey, it is only a wayside along the route.

If I have a balloon in my hand, one can never scientifically tell if it will rise up, float away or fall to the ground until AFTER they have analyzed, probed, and tested it. Well we have not yet been able to analyze, probe and test everything everywhere. Until then one has to place their faith in what I say the balloon will do.

But there is a difference and you can't see it. Belief is something that someone accepts as true even when complete knowledge is not available. Like I said, I have a balloon in my hand one has no idea what direction it is going to go without further knowledge. If I say it will go shooting straight up, the observer will draw a conclusion based on the trustworthiness of my reasoning, either they will believe or they won't. Either way they base their belief on incomplete knowledge. Until I release the balloon and prove the direction, then faith is no longer necessary.

By the way, until we have full knowledge of everything, there will always be a faith/belief system for everyone. It's merely a game that humans play that incites each other to run around expounding on how their belief system is better than others. I see no difference between the fundamental Christian preaching the gospel and the atheist going on about there is no god(s). We're good at changing one's knowledge base because it is provable. On the other hand changing one's belief system without any provable facts, which is the basis of a belief system, is pretty much a waste of time.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For some of us, we reconcile our faith with science by NOT taking the Bible as the LITERAL word. We go further to accept the belief / statement that the Bible was written by people influenced by their

This is my take as a conservative Christian. The Bible is not a science textbook. It's about the relationship between God and man.   I compare it to the way I answer my preschooler when he asks "Wh

I do not think Herr Einstein "identified himself as an agnostic" :::.: ":Ich glaube an Spinozas Gott, der sich in der gesetzlichen Harmonie des Seienden offenbart, nicht an einen Gott, der sich mit

1) I believe and there is a God. - Well in that case I have it made in the shade.

2) I believe and there is no God - In that case I've wasted a lot of time and energy in this life, except maybe I was a bit more "moral/ethical" than I would not normally have been.

3) I don't believe and there is no God - It's a wash, life was good/bad or indifferent, but that's all there is to it.

Take all the scientific knowledge we possess and lump it all together and still the human mind has no idea of how this masterfully intricate existence has coincidentally came into being. There is far more we don't know than what we do, scientifically. Our high-tech medical knowledge/practices will be barbaric 200 years from now just as it was 200 years ago.

If I have a balloon in my hand, one can never scientifically tell if it will rise up, float away or fall to the ground until AFTER they have analyzed, probed, and tested it. Well we have not yet been able to analyze, probe and test everything everywhere. Until then one has to place their faith in what I say the balloon will do.

Belief is something that someone accepts as true even when complete knowledge is not available.

Not in my book.

By the way, until we have full knowledge of everything, there will always be a faith/belief system for everyone.

Like I said, your definitions lead to everyone having billions of "belief systems", making the term useless.

Well, feel free to write your book anyway you want, after all it's your book.

Welll then knowledge is also a useless term in your dictionary as well. Like any theory, myth, story, or whatever you wish to use, if it's not proven, it is an accepted belief. Once it is provable then it moves from believing it true to knowing it is true.

I don't use a binary system of true/false belief. I can hold beliefs as "possibly true" or "almost certainly true" or "maybe true but from a dubious source" or "probably false" and all kinds of shaded truth values. That's why I disagree with your statement that "Belief is something that someone accepts as true even when complete knowledge is not available" because I often don't accept something as "true" but as a more complex truth value.

It's called fuzzy logic.

Scoop up a handful of sand. You now have a handful of sand. Take off one grain. Do you still have a handful of sand? One can argue the point endlessly and never draw a conclusion one way or another. Not very scientific, but most people will believe you still have a handful of sand, but you can fool the people if you don't tell them what you did.

TJ, Science is infinitely deep and always changing. What is true today will not be true tomorrow. But science has little guidance on how people should interact. One of the most important holidays in my religion deals with atonement and forgiveness. Spread throughout my bible is the concept of human dignity and how it can trump all of the harsh rules you complain about. Science does not give any hint on how to balance our selfish and selfless nature (high adventure and service?), my religion does. My religion encourages prayer and that creates calmness and other healthy benefits (scientifically proven, by the way). My religion also recognizes that character is a skill and it requires constant practice (Scout Slogan?). Science doesn't talk much about these things.

That's not to say that any religion doesn't have its problems. Where it falls down, and it appears to me that this is where you're unhappy with it, is when the religious take it upon themselves to, let's say, encourage others to follow them. This can be extreme, such as at gun point, or passive aggressive, as in complaining that you don't pray correctly, or even among the Boy Scouts that require you to have some faith. I stay away from the guns and ignore the rest. What's left is a vast collection of wonderful ideas and stories that I can learn from. I don't read them as history or science. Just one example: The number 7 in the Bible means something is good. So, the universe was not created in 7 days, but it was a good thing. One thing about my religion that I am absolutely, positively clear about, is that I will never have all the answers.

To be honest, TJ, you've insulted the vast majority of the population with what you wrote. I doubt that was your intent. As you said, you quietly suck it up and maybe you're tired of doing that. I suck it up every time someone asks me to remove my hat to pray, I don't, and they glare at me like I'm some sort of hideous atheist (just joking). Someone on this forum once said that religion and spiritual insight is a journey and it's different for a lot of people. Wise words. I wish you the best in your journey. At the same time, I hope you can respect mine.

You state your opinion, and it is looking for consensus.

I state my opinion, and it is looking for a fight.

See how that works?

One day, in the future, I believe people will recognize what they were doing was wrong, and will stop attempting to silence atheist belief and expression as an attack when they realize that religious expression and belief are just as much an attack as it is.

Either that, or they will silence all on either side for the sake of silence. That would be sad.

MattR, first there's no way you can possibly know for sure what drives T.J. to write what he writes or to react the way he seems to react. What you can know for sure is how you react to him. If he seems to you to be just as absolutely certain about his 'beliefs' as a fundamentalist Christian is of the literal truth of the Bible, then that hardly makes him anything more than 'human' doesn't it? You too? All of us?
The road is already paved: Do scouting as they do it in the UK.
TJ, Science is infinitely deep and always changing. What is true today will not be true tomorrow. But science has little guidance on how people should interact. One of the most important holidays in my religion deals with atonement and forgiveness. Spread throughout my bible is the concept of human dignity and how it can trump all of the harsh rules you complain about. Science does not give any hint on how to balance our selfish and selfless nature (high adventure and service?), my religion does. My religion encourages prayer and that creates calmness and other healthy benefits (scientifically proven, by the way). My religion also recognizes that character is a skill and it requires constant practice (Scout Slogan?). Science doesn't talk much about these things.

That's not to say that any religion doesn't have its problems. Where it falls down, and it appears to me that this is where you're unhappy with it, is when the religious take it upon themselves to, let's say, encourage others to follow them. This can be extreme, such as at gun point, or passive aggressive, as in complaining that you don't pray correctly, or even among the Boy Scouts that require you to have some faith. I stay away from the guns and ignore the rest. What's left is a vast collection of wonderful ideas and stories that I can learn from. I don't read them as history or science. Just one example: The number 7 in the Bible means something is good. So, the universe was not created in 7 days, but it was a good thing. One thing about my religion that I am absolutely, positively clear about, is that I will never have all the answers.

To be honest, TJ, you've insulted the vast majority of the population with what you wrote. I doubt that was your intent. As you said, you quietly suck it up and maybe you're tired of doing that. I suck it up every time someone asks me to remove my hat to pray, I don't, and they glare at me like I'm some sort of hideous atheist (just joking). Someone on this forum once said that religion and spiritual insight is a journey and it's different for a lot of people. Wise words. I wish you the best in your journey. At the same time, I hope you can respect mine.

My opinion is that there are multiple opinions, different things work for different people, and they should all be accepted. If it didn't come across that way then my apologies.