LGBT: Critical Mass?

JBlake - Romanticizing your youth is a sign of getting old.. Your Parents did it, Your Grandparents did it, Your Great-Great Grandparents did it, Your Great-Great-Great Grandparents did it. People who grew up in the time of the Great Depression still could romanticize that time period.

I had a conversation with someone at work who was stuck in romanticizing his childhood of the '50's also.. Watch all the old 1950's shows now and think Wow those were the days.. Like that wasn't a plastic made up world of perfection.. Let's forget about the fact child abuse was simply taken care of by turning a blind eye to it, same with wives that were abused. Rape was the womens fault.. Ask an African American if they feel the 1950's was the most perfect time period for them, especially if they lived in the south..

Not that I think today is wonderful, just that the 1950's wasn't all that either, nor were the 1930's, nor were the 1900's, nor were the 1880's..

jblake47, you can be sure of this: 'They're' everywhere. And 'they're' ALL out to get you. Muhahahahahaha!
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

>>How did South Africa get so far ahead of the United States?<<   I wouldn't describe it as "far ahead," nor do most people I know who have spent time in SA. However, they got there by

JBlake - Romanticizing your youth is a sign of getting old.. Your Parents did it, Your Grandparents did it, Your Great-Great Grandparents did it, Your Great-Great-Great Grandparents did it. People who grew up in the time of the Great Depression still could romanticize that time period.

I had a conversation with someone at work who was stuck in romanticizing his childhood of the '50's also.. Watch all the old 1950's shows now and think Wow those were the days.. Like that wasn't a plastic made up world of perfection.. Let's forget about the fact child abuse was simply taken care of by turning a blind eye to it, same with wives that were abused. Rape was the womens fault.. Ask an African American if they feel the 1950's was the most perfect time period for them, especially if they lived in the south..

Not that I think today is wonderful, just that the 1950's wasn't all that either, nor were the 1930's, nor were the 1900's, nor were the 1880's..

Be Prepared! is not a sign of paranoia, but if one wished to carry it to the extreme, I'm sure a case could be made for it.

jb "By the way, my father grew up in a rural area and his only positive recollection of those years was the farm could produce a subsistence lifestyle that got them through."

Well you missed some hum-dinger "When I was your age" speeches.. You would think every one lived the life of "The Waltons" on steroids.. No crime, everyone knew their neighbors.. Women knew there places (remember WWII started the independent women getting more into the work force).. Families were closer, you appreciated the things you had, and anything new that you got.. There was none of this drinking, sex and rock and roll"..' You even got the walking 3 miles to go to school speech..

Now my Grandparents childhood, (about 1910), Again, a lot less population.. No crime (no one ever had crime in the society they were kids in.. very strange).. More walking 3 miles to go to school, and girls need not go after about 5th grade, as they more needed to learn how to take care of their home and family.. The time of the horse & buggy with very few cars.. People came to the house, Doctors, milkman etc.. Families were closer, you had time to pay calls on your friends and neighbors, with local parties and proper dances.. Ladies were respectable ladies.. Oh yes, and people knew their place in society and did not associate with those not of their class.. All these inter-marriages, our society was becoming a bunch of mutts (this was not black/white marriages or homosexual, this was catholic marrying protestants, and Irish marrying Germans etc.. and of course marrying beneath your station in life..) According to my paternal grandmother, my sister and I were being brought up as heathens with no manners.. But since my Father married a mutt (my mother) you could not expect much from us..

Whereas the Greeks complained about their young disrespectful youth (Aristotle), so did the Romans, and probably every other major civilization out there. That's not the issue. Living in the Golden Age of days gone by isn't the issue either. Read the whole comment, not just what you want to hear, and blow off the rest. :) Then maybe you'll get the point. Hint: So, how's the Greek Empire thingy working out nowadays?

I know, I know.. But society was coming to an end with other generations.. I definitely heard that from people of my Grandparents age about your precious 1950 era.. I know from reading (I knew no one that old) that at the time of the civil war the freeing of the slaves meant the end of society was close at hand..

Perhaps if we keep fighting amongst ourselves it might happen.. I though am hoping that our country will somehow struggle through until this time period until those trying to turn back the clock die off, and the push-me pull-you fighting will stop and society will get back to normal. But, you never know, we probably will continue to struggle for another 10 to 20 years, before the dam is broken through.. Hopefully our country is strong enough to endure that, otherwise.. Yes, we might go the way of Rome or Greece.. But from the ashes, I am sure something will spring forth..

Moosetracker, you mannerless heathen, lol, Just kidding, but I can tell you with great confidence that the end of slavery and losing 'the war' WAS the end of society as the South had known it.

Edit: Hey! I just realized....not all collapses are bad things! In those immortal words of the worst President of all time, "Bring it on!"

Whereas the freedom, liberty and desirous form of government of our unique situation, never before experienced in world history was based on the principles of Christianity. Just about all the founding settlers of American were fleeing the abusive state-religions and political infighting of Europe. They set up a form of government far different than any before. The Founding Fathers also applied the principles to the official doctrines of the United States. Up until 1963 the US government printed Bibles for use in public schools because they felt it important to know the principles upon which the doctrines of our citizenry operate. In a mere 50 years we have totally reversed everything that was established. Our culture has steadily declined, as well as our economic welfare and most of the governance we once had. A recent poll conducted, which didn't get much media coverage is that about 65% of our society believe the US will be engaged in a shooting second civil war within 5 years.

The America Dream is a thing of the past. Now the "dream" is working hard to keep what you got, not dreaming about what you might be able to get out of life if you work hard.

We live in a godless nation. That means the principles upon which we based our society are now gone or who will soon be gone. Once our unique original principles are replaced with those of every other country, we will have come full circle and be no different than any other third-world country. At lease it will solve our immigration problem. Why come here illegally when one can stay home and get the same thing, maybe even more if your country is an emerging new superpower.

Like England, France, and Russia, we will become a passing side note of a long list of one time superpowers that pretty much passed off into history with little more than a whimper.

jblake where to start:

This country was founded on a non-demoninational premise. There is nothing in the constitution, declaration of independance or the bill of rights that states that any religion will be followed. God yes religion no. There is no mention of an Archbishop or Pope or Rabbi. There is not a mention of Jesus so the argument that American was founded on a Christian faith is shacky at best.

To use your quote "Whereas the freedom, liberty and desirous form of government of our unique situation, never before experienced in world history was based on the principles of Christianity is not firm IMHO.

So homosexuals are not to be permitted the right to persue happyness?

Again another quote:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

All men not just Christian hetrosexuals have a right that may never be denied (unalienable) to Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

If their pursuit of happiness does not infringe on yours or mine there is no issue.

I choose to defend America. Not just the hetrosexuals or the whites or the poor but America as a whole. What we stand for what we die for. The good and the bad. I always pledged alliance to America under god but I have never pledged allience to God that happens to have America.

"We live in a godless nation. That means the principles upon which we based our society are now gone."

No you live in a nation that does not uniformly interpret religion the way you do. And thats OK. that is what makes America strong, that we are different. There are plenty of nations that have a uniform view of religion. I wouldn't want to live in any of them even if they where my flavor.

Jblake47, man, you're charging off the deep end, fella. " any other third-world country"....sorry, I don't think we're already there! I go to the third world frequently and I can tell you that outside of some wretched places like the Deep South (where, incidentally, they most closely share YOUR values), most of the USA doesn't qualify. Don't forget: the Holy Roman Empire was also "based on the principles of Christianity".

C'mon, the sky is not falling.

Edit: Come to think of it, I can think of some third world places that are influenced far more by Christianity than the USA ever was.

Hmmm, those that don't learn from history are destined to repeat it.

The first uniquely American doctrine precedes the Constitution by 156 years. The Mayflower Compact is a Christian doctrine. Many of the others that followed were groups of people that were persecuted by various European political entities. By the time the Founding Fathers got around to officially cutting political ties with Europe, many of the principles they considered were based in 156 years of colonial religious tradition almost exclusively based in Christianity. The form of government they set up was like no other known at that time nor in history for that matter.

Whereas revisionist historians tend to downplay these dynamics in light of current political dynamics, the fact that history can't be changed doesn't seem to matter to them at all. No, our Founding Fathers were not atheist, agnostics or unchurched. They did not share a common tradition of Christianity, but the Christian basis was there. Because of the persecution history they shared from European, they opened the doors of religion and used terms reflective of this, i.e. "Creator" clearly indicating that the basis of their beliefs were not based in atheism or agnosticism.

Thus the basic change between then and now is the obvious persecution of Christians in modern US society, especially those areas of government oversight. i.e. military, schools, etc.

Wereas I don't worry at all about the persecution, Christians have survived worse and thus came out even stronger than without the persecution.

Of course none of this "evidence" proves why as each successive generation as they expanded westward seemed to deem civilization in an emerging community was based on building the local church, which in fact often times doubled as both a school and town hall which eventually were put in place as funds became available.

Of course, the development of the southwest was a bit different. The number of towns that begin with San (Saint) San Franciso, San Diego, San Louisobisbo, San Antonio, etc. indicate Christianity seemed to have an influence as the people moved into the area.

St. Paul, St. Louis, etc. Of course none of this is indicative of how important religion was to any of the founders of those cities as well......

Of course, it's real easy to ignore any of this "evidence" in light of revisionist history.

Those cities? Are you saying the French and Spanish DIDN'T own those territories for those cities?

Yep, at the time they did. But most of those cities popped up around Spanish missions and the French being quite Catholic named cities after their patron saints. La Salle, Dubuque, Des Moines and Prairie du Chien, Fond du Lac such were given names after their founders and geographic identifiers. If it were merely an economic issue, why were all these French and Spanish territories first settled by Christian missionaries?

Thus the basic change between then and now is the obvious persecution of Christians in modern US society, especially those areas of government oversight. i.e. military, schools, etc.

Hmm, looks like you've been reading WND lies. Got any specific examples of this "persecution"?

Are you saying Cortez was a missionary? Coronado? OK we all know that indigenous peoples did a WHOLE lot better after their lands were settled by those Christian people..yeah,.right!

Like I mentioned before, if you look at the areas of THIS country that already resemble that 'third world' you seem not to admire, those are mostly areas in the Bible Belt and which local societies most closely match, it seems, YOUR values. And also, like I noted before, I can name third world countries that are far more heavily influenced by 'The Church' than the USA.

You're claiming credit for Christianity that doesn't stand up to scrutiny, not even a little bit.

Yep, at the time they did. But most of those cities popped up around Spanish missions and the French being quite Catholic named cities after their patron saints. La Salle, Dubuque, Des Moines and Prairie du Chien, Fond du Lac such were given names after their founders and geographic identifiers. If it were merely an economic issue, why were all these French and Spanish territories first settled by Christian missionaries?
And if the establishment of cities under Christian principles were one thing, look up the histories of the 9 Colonial Colleges established prior to the Revolutionary War. All had religious affiliation. Harvard, the first, was primarily instruction for the clergy. You'd never guess that today.

The early motto of Harvard was Veritas Christo et Ecclesiae, meaning "Truth for Christ and the Church." In the early classes half the graduates became ministers. Today the motto is only Truth.