2005 Jamboree Attendance Question

Our council is taking applications for the 2005 Jamboree and will have an information meeting next week. Our Cub Master and I (Committee Chairman) both have sons who are Webelos II's who will be crossing over next February and will be eligible to go to Jamboree in 2005. My Cub Master has already paid he and his son's deposit and turned in their applications. He is trying to talk me into going as well. I'd love to and my son is interested too. One factor is the cost estimated at $2000, vacation time and my son's age. What concerns me is that he will "only" be 12 at the time and I wonder how meaningful it will be to him and how many memories he will retain from it years down the road? My family took a number of big vacations when I was a kid and I have snippets of memories, but not detailed memories. Of course the older I get, the worse my rememberer works. I think it would be more meaningful to him when he is older, but since he will be 16 by the next Jamboree, I have this concern that he might not be as interested in scouts by then. I've heard a rumor that the next Jamboree after 2005 will actually be 5 years instead of 4 years so it will coincide with the 100 year anniversary in 2010. Anyone know if that is true? That concerns me even more with him being 17 instead of 16. So my question is, what has been some of your experiences as either scouts or parents of scouts attending Jamboree at the ripe old age of 12? Is it worth it or is it better to wait until the scout is older?

I would recommend going. I have been to three National and a World Jamboree and have seen Boy Scouts of all ages enjoying the event. Granted a 12 year old might enjoy different aspects of the jamboree than a 16 year old, but there is plenty there for every interest and ability.

Bob White

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

I just checked National's web site on the Jamboree with the same thought as Hops. This kid will definately be eligible to go and I think he should.

He'll remember plenty from the Jamboree, although probably different things than he would if he went as a 16 year old. He may even want to go to two Jamborees as a Scout and will be much more capable of earning his own way the second time around. (No, I haven't heard anything about a Jamboree in 2009 or 2010.)

I had an opportunity to attend the 1981 National Jamboree when my father was an Assistant Scoutmaster with the contingent and my 12 year old brother was going. I chose to stay at home and work on camp staff. I don't regret the camp staff experience, but I know now that I missed out. In 1997, at the ripe old age of 31, I served on a regional staff at the National Jamboree. I'm glad I did that, but really wish I had taken advantage of the Jamboree experience as a Scout.

What a great time!

You're also correct in that odds are against him that he'll be interested in attending when he's 16 -- there are a lot more 12 year old Boy Scouts than 16 year-olds at the Jamboree, although there are a lot of older Scouts there.

DS

Go For It!

I attended the 15th World Jamboree in Alberta, Canada as a youth. I had a great time. I visited the National Jamboree when I was a Commo Grunt stationed at Ft. Bragg, NC. in the late 80's. Saw many young Scouts having fun.

Your son will gain from the experience. Plus, you'll receive more returns on your "Investment".

I heard that same rumor for the 100th BSA Annivesary. Does anyone here know anything about that?

Having Fun,

Matua

SR540Beaver has the age stuff right.

All those who have said that Jamborees are fun and a great experience are also right.

I'm not sure how your Council selects leaders to attend the Jamboree.

In our Council we as a rule have more people apply then we havw openings for.

So you might not be able to attend with your son and the troop or troops from your council.

There are opportunities to attend as a Staff member.

While the Scouts that attend do have a good time. I do caution the parents of our Scouts about homesickness.

Even those lads who may have had a Summer camp experiance.

This Jamboree is ten days and unlike a Summer Camp where parents can drop in. Due to distance this might not be possible.

Of course visitors are welcome and many do visit.

You might want to think about the World Jamboree in 2007, in England. It will cost a bit/a lot more?? But you son would be that much older and might be less prone to homesickness.

Of course he could be like my urchin and have never suffered from homesickness in his entire life.

As to paying for it.

Last time our Council had a $895.00 Price tag on the Jamboree. We did have fund raising events. Some of the Scouts raised enough for the entire fee and had money left over for spending money. I think it cost me about $250.00.

He got all the extra uniforms and equipment that he needed as birthday and Christmas presents.

While he was at the Jamboree he didn't spent that much. He was to busy having fun.

On the other hand I spent a good deal of my hard earned cash. Bad thing is I'm not sure what Ihave to show for it??

Eamonn

OJ has been accepted as a Staffer at the Bike-athon in action area 4.

I'm proud of him. He made up his own mind about what he wanted to do. He applied by himself after downloading the paperwork and so far has not asked me for any money. Maybe he is waiting till after NOAC. I said I'd pay half of that.

Your son is both lucky and unlucky with the age he is. He will have the opportunity to attend 2 Jambos if he chooses. On the down side he will be a bit younger than optimal for this Jambo, and a bit older than most participants at the next.

I was at the 1997 Jamboree with my troop as a visitor. I believe it was the day of the opening ceremony, because we attended the show and heard Clinton address the Jamboree. I must say that the touring we did before visiting Jamboree was much better with my home troop on that trip.

In 2001 I attended as part of the Council contingent. In fact I was the SPL for one of our three troops. That was a very interesting perspective from a leadership perspective. I got to see what leading a multi-patrol troop was really like. I also got to try to pull together a group of mostly young scouts who had never met each other, and have them get along, get work done, and still let them have fun. I can't say I succeeded entirely.

It seemed to me that those who were very young were somewhat overwhelmed by the length of the Jambo trip, the shear scale of the Jamboree, and the fact that they didn't know each other. I also noticed that the older Scouts, such as myself, found the Jamboree to be far less impressive than the younger Scouts. It seems those that benefited the most were the Scouts closest to the middle of the range. I am glad I went, though being the SPL wasn't exactly fun. (Of coarse if I hadn't been the SPL I would have been constantly annoyed by the differences between how I would have done it, and how whoever was doing it, did it.)

So I would say, go for it.

GO FOR IT! I attended the 1997 Jamboree as an SM, and it was the highlight of my 40+ year Scouting career. I had Scouts in my Troop from ages 12 to 17 and all enjoyed it tremendously. It is indeed Scouting at its best. You never know what will happen in the next four years, so I again say, GO FOR IT!

Dale

OK, I let my heart lead me and signed my son and I up for Jambo. The signing up part was easy, the paying part will be a little harder at $2,000 per head. But there is a little less than 2 years to save and raise funds. Wish us luck.