I couldn't find it on the "Unit Fundraising" section, so I'd thought I'd post it here.

After the Troop annual budget is established, whose responsible for finding and researching fundraisers for the Troop to participate in?

I can see the Committee finding two or three fundraisers and then presenting to them to the PLC, since they have to rally the Scouts. The Committee would have to deal with the appropriateness of the fundraiser and all of the paperwork. That's got to be for the adults, right?

I have a Committee that thinks the Scouts should find the fundraiser and then ask for the Committee's approval and support.

Thoughts??????????????

sst3rd (andy)

Does the source of the idea really matter? If the scouts have an idea that the committee approves or the committee has an idea that the PLC supports is one better or worse than the other.

This is a team effort. Don't worry so much about who gets to have the idea, worry about achieving the goals of scouting.

Bob White

I always get in trouble when I try to speak for other people, but I don't let that stop me. When I read sst3rd's post it did not seem that he was asking who, in the abstract, should be the source of fund-raising ideas. Rather, I think he was saying that the troop is trying to assign someone(s) the task of doing actual research and analysis of different fund-raising opportunities, but there is some uncertainty as to what person or persons that task should be assigned to. I don't know the answer either, but I am sure someone does.

I've mentioned this in other threads, but our Troop answers this question by deciding what the impetus for the need is.

If we are trying to raise money for general needs (like awards, etc.) or special Troop resource needs, like a a trailer, the Committee Chair usually askes someone on the comittee to develop a fundraiser.

If the boys want to partake in an activity that is resource intensive, like kayaking or Rapelling and we need equipment to do so, they are responsible for developing a way to pay for it.

Might not be the perfect solution, but it works for us.

Mark