Check out alps mountaineering and sign up for their program at scoutdirect.com we have about 8 of their lynx-2 with the aluminum poles we bought during the Christmas sale and they work fine.

They have a vestibule and an entrance on each side. Their scout direct price is close to $100. You may want to invest in better stakes.

I also have and like the Lynx 2 tent. I'm not a super scouter so I've only taken it backpacking once. I'd split the load between two scouts; 3 pounds each roughly. They'll be perfectly comfortable inside for sleeping since their gear will be in the vestibules or under a tarp outside. More importantly they'll be tired from a long day on the trail It will catch some condensation with two people inside so definitely keep the vents open. If it's not going to rain and they get stuffy inside, leave the doors open for ventilation. For other trips it's more than comfortable for one person with their gear inside if they must. I've also used it for winter camping in northern Illinois with a dew cloth. Definitely warmer with two scouts then :).
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of years ago, I met a troop from Michigan hiking the North Country Trail/Minister Creek loop in the Allegheny National Forest. They packed in 3 boys to a fly (maybe 2 older scouts) and seemed to be having a great time.

My family, we get tents on sale (never spent more than $200), or at garage sales (Mrs. got me two pup tents for a dollar, I replaced the flimsy poles with cut-down scraps from a dining fly -- best pieces of nylon I ever had.)

Keep in mind that I'm a tenting optional kinda guy.

Thanks for all the advice. I think we need some sort of tent. We haven't been camping that long so We are not tent option types yet. I have seen the hammock not sure it I could sleep in one of those. I have never been in one but I think I would get a bit clastrophobic.

Thanks for all the advice. I think we need some sort of tent. We haven't been camping that long so We are not tent option types yet. I have seen the hammock not sure it I could sleep in one of those. I have never been in one but I think I would get a bit clastrophobic.
One option that has not been mentioned is renting a tent. REI stores have lots of various equipment such as tents, packs and pads for rent at reasonable prices. With you along to ensure proper handling there is minimal chance of damage.

Let me make clear one point. I do not object to a full fly per say. Just getting stuck in one with a tent mate that insists on using it on a warm night with no chance of rain. He was concerned that without it bugs would get through the mesh.

That wal mart tent has such a small fly that it would be near useless in a storm. I do have a $20 3 person dome tent I got years ago at Aldi that leaks but is fine for fair weather and backyard camping. It is also a great tool for my kids to use for practice pitching and tear down. Cheap tents do have their uses and can save wear on the good ones.

If the climate is moderate where you will be, you can certainly save weight and space by leaving the bag at home and using sheets or a light blanket.

One more thing to add. Make sure you teach proper use of zippers! Usually there is a flap of material that runs the length of the zipper that is to prevent water from going through the zipper.

Teach your young scout to move that flap out of the way while zipping and to zip carefully. It's amazing how far a new scout can force that zipper over the flap. We had to learn the hard way that you have to teach these boys EVERYTHING sometimes. Had no choice but to cut the flap so a scout could close the rainfly (in a brand new tent's first outing ugh!).

Check out alps mountaineering and sign up for their program at scoutdirect.com we have about 8 of their lynx-2 with the aluminum poles we bought during the Christmas sale and they work fine.

They have a vestibule and an entrance on each side. Their scout direct price is close to $100. You may want to invest in better stakes.

I picked up a lynx 2 on sale through scout direct for $75. My son and I fit comfortably in the tent. Scout Direct is the way to go if you're gearing up for backpacking.
One more thing to add. Make sure you teach proper use of zippers! Usually there is a flap of material that runs the length of the zipper that is to prevent water from going through the zipper.

Teach your young scout to move that flap out of the way while zipping and to zip carefully. It's amazing how far a new scout can force that zipper over the flap. We had to learn the hard way that you have to teach these boys EVERYTHING sometimes. Had no choice but to cut the flap so a scout could close the rainfly (in a brand new tent's first outing ugh!).

Yeah, nothing worse than having to run around with your zipper open all the time. :)

I'm with dedkad.

I'd go with the cheap one from walmart.

I've camped for years in a tent similar to that one but a little bigger my wife bought at Big Lots before we were married.

Not as good for cliff side top of mountain gales as my kelty, but easier to set up and it's a little roomier.... and since I'm not setting it up in extreme locations it actually serves a bit better.

The Wal-Mart, K-Mart, or similar tents may not last as long, but as an initial tent I think a much smarter move. They'll work..... and even if you only use it a few times to figure out what your real needs are, there's not much money lost.

• 2 weeks later...
Me and my friend wanted to get into camping and found really cheap' date=' really compact, tentson intimepromos.com. Waterproof, rain-fly, 2lbs. They are so compact you can fit them in any backpack. Very durable, nice looking. I really like them and would recommend them to anyone who wants a 2-person tent. Visit intimepromos and take a look on their tents.[/quote']

Interesting I can not find any tents on there..Just stuff to pay to put advertising on

At bass pro shop I found a 1 man apex that I am happy with. its about $100 and is made by the camping division at Easton. Aluminum stakes, carbon poles.. actually goes back into the bag after use. :)
One man tents are poor choices for scout camping.....

First they take nearly the same foot print as a two man tent...

Philmont and many land managers don't permit them.

At bass pro shop I found a 1 man apex that I am happy with. its about $100 and is made by the camping division at Easton. Aluminum stakes, carbon poles.. actually goes back into the bag after use. :)
The one man is for me when I am the adult leader.

But Philmont does allow one man tents if the crew has an odd number. but the tip is valid that you shouldn't plan on it.

I use my own tent rather than the troops tents. I have 3 that depending on tent-mates and the weather I will pick between. The one I take to summer camp would sleep 5 easily on a weekend trip but normally just 2 people and gear just so we are comfy. It does not have a vestibule but I always keep a cheap rag-rug by the door - this one is NOT for backpacking. My other 2 tents I could backpack depending on how many are sleeping with me and sharing the load. 1 could squeeze 4 since there is a vestibule but is best for 3 the other tent will only fit 2. In the winter months I'm usually the only female tenting so I always take my smallest for that, but wish it was a tad smaller so it would be a bit warmer, but I don't want a 4th tent LOL. There is no way I could do a hammock as I have night terrors and my body gets moving around a bit with them - not sure how swinging in a tree would do with those. All of my tents I've gotten on great sales. I think with the 3 of them I may have spent about $100 but that's because the 4/3 man tent was my most expensive on sale for $50. Out of season is a great time to buy so is father's day sales - I keep telling my kids they should just shop for me at father's day rather than mother's day!

• 2 weeks later...

Late to the show, but I've been happy with my REI Done 2 man (2 man meaning two without gear). It's $100, weighs 5 pounds (split it with a buddy), and if you have a membership you get 10% back at the end of the year anyway. Bought it as a cheap "not sure I'm going to keep doing this" option, ended up using it for over 300 miles of backpacking and counting (including 13 nights with a buddy in Wyoming). If you want to carry it by yourself and have room, it's not completely awful (although definitely not ultralight either).

http://www.rei.com/product/731378/rei-camp-dome-2-tent

• 2 weeks later...

May be too late for you, but I'd also go for the 7x7 Walmart tent. It's fly isn't as pathetically small as the 6x5 tent, which would be too small for you anyway. However, be advised that you should really seal the seam between the walls and bottom. They apparently aren't taped. Had torrential rains on our recent trip and our son and his buddy got wet while my wife and I were fine in my true backpacking tent.