Is today's scouting too prissy?

The OA thing is a failure of the Scoutmaster......You have got to know your boys. You know who is ready or not. Who can pitch a tent and follow directions.

But I remember Krampus and his parents saying that his opinion that a boys wasn't ready wasn't good enough. There had to be a rule in writing somewhere.....

This really isn't even about honor camping....

This is about boys who can't be away from home over night.

A scoutmaster even one who was never a scout should know who in his unit is capable of doing that.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't know about "prissy". But it has morphed into something that placates the helicopter parents, the lawyers, and those boys who would rather sit in front of a video game than rappel down a tower.

you forgot the metrosexual scouter   Metrosexual is a neologism, derived from metropolitan and heterosexual, coined in 1994 describing a man (especially one living in an urban, post-industrial, cap

http://www.scoutmastercg.com/nostalg...e-of-scouting/   Some think we've diminished the ideals of ’manliness’ , traditional patriotism, bootstrap initiative, competitiveness and rigor

The OA thing is a failure of the Scoutmaster......You have got to know your boys. You know who is ready or not. Who can pitch a tent and follow directions.

But I remember Krampus and his parents saying that his opinion that a boys wasn't ready wasn't good enough. There had to be a rule in writing somewhere.....

OA isn't about honor camping anymore, its about another patch on the shirt, that's all. Only 10 percent of OA members last a year anyway. It's a great program for that 10% who hang around, but it still doesn have the prestige it carried back when I was a scout. Why do you think OA change the qualifications of the candidates? Barry

Eagledad commented:

"almost 1/2 of the SMs never had a scouting experience, they don't know what honor camping is."

Baden-Powell designed a seven day immersion course to teach indoor volunteers how think like outdoorsmen.

Now we teach indoor volunteers how to think like office managers.

hmmmm

So this a patch to be put on a 13 year olds Eagle court of honor uniform just before he quits.