photos of Scouts in improper uniform

Has anyone else noticed the tendency of national publications of various forms to publish pictures of scouts in absolutely terrible uniforms? I am thinking of the Eagletter and the Elks magazine. I know the BSA handbook and some other BSA publications also have this problem. Last time I looked at one of my dad's Elks magazines they had many Eagles who had recieved various awards pictured. I don't think a single one of them had a correct uniform on. Most had on jeens or khaki pants. Some had one sash over their shoulder and the other on a belt. Some had patches very far from the correct place. Several had one sash over one shoulder and the other over the other shoulder. (I have never seen any one do this outside of pictures.) The greatest problem seemed to be pants and OA sashes not conforming to uniform standards. Maybe the OA sashes just get my attention because I am a former Lodge Chief, but to me it is a bit embarrassing to see so few good examples of a uniformed Scout in so many published pictures. The Elks I can give a pass on publishing these pictures, but for the Eagletter, or the Handbook editors, to allow it seems almost to be encouraging poor uniforming.

I really don't consider myself to be one of the uniform police. I don't even own a copy of the insignia guide.

Am I overreacting to this constant streem of pictures of poorly uniformed Scouts (almost all Eagles, some at their own Courts of Honor) ?

Also, why do many feel compelled to wear an OA sash (almost always an Ordeal sash) to a BOR or COH? It seems to me that someone who features their sash so proudly on their uniform on such a special occasion should have had enough pride in being an Arrowman to come back to the events of their lodge after their Ordeal and get their Brotherhood. If OA involvement is a major part of someone's Scouting experience I can understand wearing a sash at a COH, but your average Ordeal member doesn't fit the profile of someone who has made OA into a major part of their Scouting experience.

I am also going to post this same thing in the section on uniforms. I just thought I would post it here since it does tie into program in some ways.

See the thread in the uniforms section here to reply:

http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=42967

(This message has been edited by Proud Eagle)

I agree with you - in one way - that the uniforms shown outside (and even sometimes inside BSA) are often not correct.

However - at some of those photoshoots - such as one recently where the President's office presented some award to various scouts who had received medals for something - I bet there's a photographer who is saying 'Bring all your awards and do-dad's to 'dress' the photo. And these are kids - and they want to show off their acheivments to the world so they don't argue the finer points of uniforming with the photograher.

and to tell the truth - to anyone outside of scout leadership, (and many inside the program) exactly HOW the uniform is worn is unknown, anyway. the Average person looking at those photos has no idea what an ordeal sash is or what it signifies. In fact, alot of scouts don't know if they are not in OA. Other than the rank of "Eagle" which has been very widely publicised - the ranks, badges, patches and other insignia are pretty much unknown to someone not actively in scouting.

I have also heard, in our area at least - that the OA lodge is not very active, and being elected into OA is really treated more like an 'honor reward' rather than the true purpose of being elected because the person has something to offer the order and would be moved to serve to further the scouting program outside of their troop participation.

I see in our area and troop, anyway - that the boys being brought into OA are not active, that they seldom participate outside of ceremonies - callout and ordeals, etc. And unless they are ACTIVE - there's not much reason to wear that sash, is there? yet if it's treated as an AWARD and not as a badge of SERVICE - i can understand why many would wear it incorrectly.

As for the pants issue - that has been a problem not only in photos, but across the nation. I think it's alot bigger than some being ill-informed - Many troops, Districts, and councils accept these uniform variations and in fact, BSA states that you can't MAKE a boy WEAR a uniform at all. So if you can't force 'a' uniform - you can't very well enforce particular uniform rules, either.

I know that our council has put out a request to send in photos of 'boys in action' to build a photo library - and since I take many photos for our troop on events and outings - many have the boys in troop t-shirts, uniform shirts and many in 'improper' uniforms. Some because the boys haven't gotten the proper uniforming message,(no matter how many times we repeart it) some because they can't afford all the uniform parts, and some because they shed or don't use parts on certain events (like they don't wear pins and sashes on campouts)