In Hillcourt's "Real" Patrol Method, the PATROL Leaders elect the SPL.

In Leadership Development's Troop Method, the TROOP elects the SPL.

In the Real Patrol Method, the PATROL Leaders always outnumber the SPL in the PATROL Leader's Council.

In the Troop Method the TROOP SPL's patronage positions, such as the TROOP ASPLs and the TROOP Guides, can vote against the Patrol Leaders.

Maybe the word "Troop" has been Program Neutered out of NYLT, like the Patrol Leaders were neutered out of the "Patrol Method" presentation of Scoutmaster-specific training?

Yours at 300 feet,

Kudu

http://kudu.net/

Here's your chance to unload, Scouting Magazine just admonished us all that if our troop isn't working, it's because we aren't using the Patrol Method: http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2013/06/24/how-to-keep-your-troop-out-of-the-death-spiral/

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I guess that is the issue....   Is he completely lost and comes a crossed uninterested.....Or doesn't he care?????? that is the million dollar question.   Well tonight I sat down with the spl d

The dead horse here is "Leadership Development," which began to replace Hillcourt's Real Patrol Method in 1965 with the imposition of position of responsibility requirements. Leadership Developmen

In the Real Patrol Method, the PATROL Leaders always outnumber the SPL in the PATROL Leader's Council.

In the Troop Method the TROOP SPL's patronage positions, such as the TROOP ASPLs and the TROOP Guides, can vote against the Patrol Leaders.

Maybe the word "Troop" has been Program Neutered out of NYLT, like the Patrol Leaders were neutered out of the "Patrol Method" presentation of Scoutmaster-specific training?

Yours at 300 feet,

Kudu

Here's your chance to unload, Scouting Magazine just admonished us all that if our troop isn't working, it's because we aren't using the Patrol Method: http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2013/06/24/how-to-keep-your-troop-out-of-the-death-spiral/

I needed to have a magazine tell me something that I've known all along????? :)

Yours at 300 feet,

Kudu

Thank you for the link. It is always good to have an article like this (or three) up your sleeve to help explain things to "helpful" adults.

Well, gotta laugh.

SPL epic fail at summer camp. Missed breakfast twice.....didn't sign us up for flags or meal prayer, didn't sign us up for campfire skit.....Just had a meeting with him and mom and asked him if he provided any leadership....to my surprise he said no...mom smacked him in the back of the head.....bout spit my coffee all over the table.

Mom wanted to know what happened....I asked scout to explain.....Well, I coached him all week about what needed to happen....He started with he slept thru breakfast....moms face got reder, he then mentioned not signing us up for skits, prayer and flags......We failed camp inspection because he did not put up the fire chart....The duty rosters were never completed...... For passing the camp inspection the PD gave entire troops small monkey fists. That really endeared him to the troop.

Mom looked me dead in the eye and asked what I wanted to do......Well, since he did not provide leadership for the last 6 months it will not be recorded. He can run for election again in a couple of months....

The troop was mad enough I doubt he will get re elected.

Well, gotta laugh.

SPL epic fail at summer camp. Missed breakfast twice.....didn't sign us up for flags or meal prayer, didn't sign us up for campfire skit.....Just had a meeting with him and mom and asked him if he provided any leadership....to my surprise he said no...mom smacked him in the back of the head.....bout spit my coffee all over the table.

Mom wanted to know what happened....I asked scout to explain.....Well, I coached him all week about what needed to happen....He started with he slept thru breakfast....moms face got reder, he then mentioned not signing us up for skits, prayer and flags......We failed camp inspection because he did not put up the fire chart....The duty rosters were never completed...... For passing the camp inspection the PD gave entire troops small monkey fists. That really endeared him to the troop.

Mom looked me dead in the eye and asked what I wanted to do......Well, since he did not provide leadership for the last 6 months it will not be recorded. He can run for election again in a couple of months....

I think at some point you need to tell the Mom that advancement is only one method of scouting!

The fact that he said "no" on his own does say something about the him. Now a lot of times I do get kids who are overly self-critical. They may make too many goals for themselves, or they may think that once they hold that patch their rough edges will magically disappear. But regardless, they were able to say something for themselves.

Well, gotta laugh.

Well I spoke with him probably 3 times a day about things he missed or met with him after the spl meeting so he could regurgitate what was said or asked...I asked him 4 times a day about fire chart and getting the troop flag up....

So he knew he wasn't doing the job.....and frankly at the end of the week he was simply done with it.

It's great that mom is on board; I would generally have expected her to smack the SM in the back of the head.
Nine out of ten parents want to work with the scoutmasters, expecially with their sons behaviors, or misbehaviors. I found that most SMs want to go it alone thinking they have something special that parents don't have. And maybe the title of Scoutmaster does give some extra power, but we only see these kids a couple hours a week on average, the parent a lot more. So I worked with the parents as a team working together to build a man. I hid nothing from the parents and usually kept them up to date on their son's performance in the troop. In fact while the scouts are usually loading or unloading their gear for camp, I walked around bragging to parents about their son. Usually they take bad news pretty well when they get good news most of the time. Base did very well. Barry
It's great that mom is on board; I would generally have expected her to smack the SM in the back of the head.
Our troop has a lot of very special snowflakes, and their parents (for the most part) aren't interested in hearing bad news like "your son hasn't done jack squat despite repeated interventions, we're not signing him off." It's very much a class/economic thing. BD's scout parents are a lot different than my scout parents.