Pack issues and concerns

My family and I have been involved in scouting for over 6 yrs with a local Cub Scouts Pack in Livermore, CA.. For the past 5 yrs. I was the Treasurer of this Pack and also Den Leader for the past 2 yrs. Recently, end of March to be exact, a married couple took over leadership of this Pack. The husband, Courtney stepped into Cubmaster role and his wife, Gail stepped into Committee Chair role. As soon as they took over their new roles, Gail asked me to add her as a signer to the Pack bank account. I didn't see a problem with that, so I added her as a signer on the account. About one week later, I discover by accident that my name was removed from the bank account. When I went to the bank to investigate, the bank showed me a falsified Boy Scouts of America letter indicating my termination from treasurer role and it was signed by Courtney and another committee member. A few days later, I get an email notification from Gail saying that my position as Treasurer was terminated. I believe this was done to gain control of the Pack finances and account.There were no causes for termination and no one else knew of this except for the parties involved. A week later, I find out that they tried to change the name on the Pack storage unit and the storage facility had even urged me to go there and change the security code and lock. As result, Courtney was banned from the storage facility. Later on, I find out that they were slandering me to past leaders of the Pack. I tried reaching out to some of these leaders for advice regarding issues I've been facing and no one would talk to me. I contacted our Charter Org. Rep and he won't step in either because he claims that their organization is "non partisan" and will not get involved in our politics. Recently, the 3 leaders involved removed my kids from the Pack without an explanation. I had no choice but to continue on with the chains of command in the Boy Scout organization and even contacted national. As of yet, nothing has been done to address any of this. After volunteering for so many years, we have never had any problems with any of the leaders nor the organization. The one question I get asked over and over again is what their motivation is for doing all this. There were no causes nor basis for removing me from the account and there were no causes nor explanations for removing my kids from the Pack. All I wanted out of this was a simple apology but they couldn't even admit any wrongdoing and the Boy Scout organization has not stepped in at all to help address any of this. I have hard copy evidence for termination letter submitted to the bank, a letter from the storage facility indicating the incident and still, the BSA has done nothing to help resolve any of this.

There's probably a lot more to this story, but termination of volunteer leadership don't require any notice, or allow the Council to be consulted or have any say so. That's a dead end. Apologies are not likely going to happen, forget that.

Denying your children membership in the unit should be a concern of the Unit Comm and DE (loss of a Scout = loss of revenue but they have no power to change the unit), but the Pack cannot revoke membership in Cub Scouting as a whole. Unit membership is up to the Charter Organization.

Any concerns you have on Treasurer activities should be brought to the charter Org Rep. they not only have yea or nae on Pack leadership, but should be aware of treasurer perception of wrong doing. i would only turn over the check book to the Charter Rep.

After you toss this off to the Charter Rep, seek another Pack. Leadership like this usually leads to the pack folding anyway.

I agree with dg98adams. I did not read where you reported your issues with the Charter Organization. Check with your Charter organization and/or your Charter Organization Representative. They need to know what's going on with the new leadership because they are the ones that approve all pack leaders and they can terminate them just as fast.

There are RED FLAGS here and some of it sounds criminal.

There's probably a lot more to this story, but termination of volunteer leadership don't require any notice, or allow the Council to be consulted or have any say so. That's a dead end. Apologies are not likely going to happen, forget that.

Denying your children membership in the unit should be a concern of the Unit Comm and DE (loss of a Scout = loss of revenue but they have no power to change the unit), but the Pack cannot revoke membership in Cub Scouting as a whole. Unit membership is up to the Charter Organization.

Any concerns you have on Treasurer activities should be brought to the charter Org Rep. they not only have yea or nae on Pack leadership, but should be aware of treasurer perception of wrong doing. i would only turn over the check book to the Charter Rep.

After you toss this off to the Charter Rep, seek another Pack. Leadership like this usually leads to the pack folding anyway.

I did contact Charter Org. Rep. They refused to step in. Our's is the Elk's Lodge and the rep. said that their organization is a non-partipasan organization and will not get involved in any of the scout politics. When confronted at a committee meeting recently about revoking our children's membership, the Cub master lied and said they were never removed. I even forwarded the email they sent me indicating they revoked their membership to the Unit Comm. Unit Comm. said he'll find out but never got back to me. That was 2wks. ago.

Please read my comment above to dg98adams. At first, I also thought their actions were criminal. I did go to the police station and they said I probably think their actions are fraudulent but unless the bank wants to do anything about it and unless there was any personal monetary loss then it is not considered a crime.

The bank should be able to freeze the account if your name was taken off fraudulently, or even if you allege the name was taken off fraudulently. Trust me, I've seen it done. The bank does NOT want to be involved with a problem and will lock things down until the unit figures things out. You could also contact local law enforcement especially since this is not being handled correctly by the "proper" channels.

Don't count on the bank protecting you. I don't know much about good banking practices, but six months ago I went to the bank with our new treasurer and CC and on my word alone we replaced the old CC and treasurer with the new. I am also a signatory on the account. I've done this several times over the years.

Beyond that I have two thoughts -- first is here is a whole lot more to this story. If I has suspicions about a treasurer, I would handle things precisely as described. Change the accounts first, then tell people about it.

Second, if the situation is exactly as you describe, concerns, then why the heck are you hanging around? Get as far away from these folks as you can as quickly as you can.

I would keep copies of all records and documentation for your own protection.

One thing is for certain. Packs that have "power grabbing" leaders like this do not last. The uninterested CO will get what it desires: It does not want to be bothered with Pack "politics" and complaints about the leaders it approves, so the Pack will eventually die and not bother them anymore.

Don't count on the bank protecting you. I don't know much about good banking practices, but six months ago I went to the bank with our new treasurer and CC and on my word alone we replaced the old CC and treasurer with the new. I am also a signatory on the account. I've done this several times over the years.

Beyond that I have two thoughts -- first is here is a whole lot more to this story. If I has suspicions about a treasurer, I would handle things precisely as described. Change the accounts first, then tell people about it.

Second, if the situation is exactly as you describe, concerns, then why the heck are you hanging around? Get as far away from these folks as you can as quickly as you can.

I would keep copies of all records and documentation for your own protection.

My thoughts are exactly the same, I've already found another Pack but parents should know and be concerned abouth the type of adult role models that are leading this pack and influencing their children.
IF the events unfolded as you say, get your kids as far away from that Pack as fast as you can. Call me a skeptic, but I think there is more to the story.
There's def. more to the story and yes, I've already found another Pack. Please see my reply to Twocubdad.

I just think that the BSA should do more but apparently that's not going to be the case. I was concerned that similar situations would happen to other leaders and I was right. After my ordeal, 2 other leaders in the Pack called me and said that Gail and Courtney started throwing accusations at them without any proof. This couple just seem to be power hungry and going to the extends they have to gain control of things is just wrong. We are all volunteers and we are all here for the kids. There is no need for all this drama.