I'm a Cubmaster for a pack and I've had some good luck with the beascout website. My biggest complaint is if I have to play phone tag (it happens, everyone has a life), they don't leave a message just their phone number on the caller ID. Please, talk to my machine! It's a nice one. I need the reminder about your name is from my Cub Scout Pack and not my troop or district committee. At least until I get you firm in my mind.

(What state are you in, if I can ask?)

Diana

Cubmaster Pack 32

Benton, AR

I finally got a response from somebody! Got an emailed reply when I tried again on the 18th, saying they were currently at camp (emailed from phone). Said they had some problems with their site and would be in touch next (this) week. So I am awaiting that still, but at least I finally got something.

Thank you all for the replies. Diana, I am in Illinois.

Your search brings back memories. I remember trying to find a new pack for my son. (We were in one that did very little.) I spoke with one of the District Executives -- BSA Councils are divided into smaller geographic Districts, and the District Executive should be familiar with the troops in his district.

I asked about packs fairly near me that were active -- the DE told me what packs went to the fishing derby, Klondikes, summer camps, etc. He was also surprisingly frank in telling me what packs did nothing. I doubt that I would have got any of this info in an email!

One thing I would be careful of is a pack that draws from a delimited group. For example, a school pack from a school your son does not attend. The DE might not have this info -- you would have to ask the pack.

Another way that you might ("might") get more info is on the Council website. They may show what packs have done well in the Klondike (a winter competition that Webelos scouts can go on), or other info. Or the Council website may have nothing -- BSA is just plain weird technologically speaking.

Agreeing with others that summer is a down time for many packs, but everything starts up again with the new school year. Packs are supposed to let the District/Council know when their recruiting night is -- so calling Council?District again in the fall might get you info about packs near you.

Adding: In my town, the pack that recruited the most was the do-nothing pack. The 'good' pack didn't recruit much because they drew kids from a wide geographic areas and the recruitment flyers never seemed to get to all the schools. When you visit a pack, ask them what they did last year -- better indicator, imo, than what they *plan* to do this year.

Another question to ask is if the pack sends its scouts to a particular Boy Scout troop, especially as your son is pretty close to transitioning (usually middle of 5th grade).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Coldnote, I hope your son has found a pack by now and is getting to know everyone. As some have said, it's tough to find/join a pack in the summer as most everybody is off on vacation, attending camps, relaxing, etc. I realize Illinois is a big state, but I'm in Illinois too and would be happy to point you in the right direction if you haven't made any progress. I'm in the "Three Fires Council", which is the Fox Valley area - 50 miles west of downtown Chicago. Drop me a line if you need help - danbrew@hotmail.com.

• 2 weeks later...
No. I don't understand. The one near me is active. Their website shows events throughout the summer, and new content has been added since I first created this thread. But they seem to ignore any attempts at contact. I had figured at this point I'd just be on the lookout for them at school in the fall.
One thing I would do, if you haven't found a Pack Already, is look at the events going on in the summer, and just show up. In our problem, our do-everything volunteer that had to drop it all (and actually earn a living that was neglected while being super-scouter for 4 years) still had her contact info on everything and stopped checking her Scout Email address.

If you show up to a summer activity, you'll find the leaders there, introduce yourself, and talk about signing your son up. If your son is shy, perhaps not bring him if he doesn't want to be embarrassed. Otherwise, bring him and get him involved in the activity.

We're all volunteers, but most of us have jobs and/or lives as well. If someone shows up, one of the parents will talk to you about it, possibly a leader, and tell you where to show up, with an application, etc. If you're super gung ho, find the online form, leave the Pack Number blank, and fill it out and print it, and bring a checkbook for any annual dues.

Want the royal treatment? Go to myscouting.scouting.org, create an adult account, take Youth Protection, print out the certificate, and bring an Adult Application to that first meeting. If you show up with your paperwork, willingness to volunteer, and youth protection, I promise you, you will be welcomed with open arms! :)

Fillable Youth Application Form

No. I don't understand. The one near me is active. Their website shows events throughout the summer, and new content has been added since I first created this thread. But they seem to ignore any attempts at contact. I had figured at this point I'd just be on the lookout for them at school in the fall.
Alex, and if you bring a registration fee check, you will get a field promotion right there.
  • 3 weeks later...

I want to thank everyone who has sat through the waiting game with us! I was able to talk to the leaders at my son's school's open house. So we have finally succeeded in getting him in and he just participated in his first event! He had a lot of fun. He will have his first meeting this week. After seeing the other kids together, I wish I had gotten him into it much sooner.

• 3 weeks later...
I want to thank everyone who has sat through the waiting game with us! I was able to talk to the leaders at my son's school's open house. So we have finally succeeded in getting him in and he just participated in his first event! He had a lot of fun. He will have his first meeting this week. After seeing the other kids together, I wish I had gotten him into it much sooner.
That's great! I am so glad hour son is enjoying it.