Archery question

I do believe that shooting at the forms of live animals is against the rules for Cubs. (I'm in the middle of PCS or I'd go get my Shooting Sports book.)
Hey Nike, the sensitive types have mis-represented what the G2SS actually says. Make them show you where it is EVER in writing that you can't shoot at representations of animals.

I took my styrofoam bear target to daycamp as archery director. The best score on the regular targets got to shoot at the bear. The boys were HYPED!

And it was a lot cheaper than the icey-pops that I used as reward the year before.

Hey Nike, the sensitive types have mis-represented what the G2SS actually says. Make them show you where it is EVER in writing that you can't shoot at representations of animals.

I took my styrofoam bear target to daycamp as archery director. The best score on the regular targets got to shoot at the bear. The boys were HYPED!

And it was a lot cheaper than the icey-pops that I used as reward the year before.

So how many cub age boys do you think are interested in an archery test????? Maybe a few....

You must have a lot better equipment than our day camps do, be cause we are lucky if they can hit the 4 foot round and make it stick....We have the cheapo fiberglass bows and a mismash of 10 year old arrows....

So how many cub age boys do you think are interested in an archery test????? Maybe a few....

You must have a lot better equipment than our day camps do, be cause we are lucky if they can hit the 4 foot round and make it stick....We have the cheapo fiberglass bows and a mismash of 10 year old arrows....

The fiberglass bows aren't that bad, Avoid the compounds for better fundamentals learning.

Get good fiberglass arrows. Crooked arrows do NOT fly straight.

Teach a consistent anchor point, and a clean release; and your cubs will start getting straight flights that hit hard enough to stick. Then they can adjust their aiming point to hit the target.

One year we had a target conflict with another camp, so I used haybales and paper plates. They were harder to set up, but easier to run.

Archery was the favorite station at our daycamps. Seeing your arrow sticking out of the bullseye was immediate feedback to holler about. BBs are more subtle (little holes in a paper target you see at the end of your round) and controlled.

I almost miss it. It was fun! But having to get re-trained every two years was my exit sign.

And, as my son learned the hard way, if the person in charge doesn't understand that left-handed people find it nearly impossible to use right-handed bows, someone needs to instruct the instructors.
While making the archery and bb gun targets for our own summer camp (my husband is the range master this year), I ran into this same issue. A friend of mine drew 'mad science' themes on some used 'yard ads' (we were hanging mason jar tops from them for them to shoot at.) Not thinking about BSA rules, she drew a mad scientist on the top (not where they shoot but obviously a bb could hit up there.) When my CM saw that, she about crawled under my porch. It was stressed repeatedly at the next meeting, no people, no animals - whatsoever. On anything that involves 'aiming and shooting.' Another guy made a valid point that some of our scouts wouldn't even bother aiming at the jar lids but the scientist himself. So now those boards will be decoration and we made two more with abstract science images. So knowing this (and depending on how your group is), I'd steer clear any animals/humans. I realize humans are 'worse' to use but you really don't want to get it all set up to be told later on nope, re-do.
One of the sections I didn't cite allows for using "monsters" as targets. Perhaps your mad scientist qualifies as a monster?
I do believe that shooting at the forms of live animals is against the rules for Cubs. (I'm in the middle of PCS or I'd go get my Shooting Sports book.)
BSA National Shooting Sports Manual:

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/Outdoor%20Program/pdf/30931_WB.pdf

Page 78:

Shoot the Monster

Participants shoot at a monster face attached or painted on a

one-gallon plastic bottle, suspended with shock card within

a tire. The object is to hit the plastic bottle. This event can be

scored individually or by den or pack.

Spin the Insect

A picture of an insect is glued to a piece of plywood 12

inches square. The plywood is fastened so it will pivot freely

around a centered bar set from post to post when struck with

an arrow.

While making the archery and bb gun targets for our own summer camp (my husband is the range master this year), I ran into this same issue. A friend of mine drew 'mad science' themes on some used 'yard ads' (we were hanging mason jar tops from them for them to shoot at.) Not thinking about BSA rules, she drew a mad scientist on the top (not where they shoot but obviously a bb could hit up there.) When my CM saw that, she about crawled under my porch. It was stressed repeatedly at the next meeting, no people, no animals - whatsoever. On anything that involves 'aiming and shooting.' Another guy made a valid point that some of our scouts wouldn't even bother aiming at the jar lids but the scientist himself. So now those boards will be decoration and we made two more with abstract science images. So knowing this (and depending on how your group is), I'd steer clear any animals/humans. I realize humans are 'worse' to use but you really don't want to get it all set up to be told later on nope, re-do.
Pack,I have heard this one before. As in an animal crawling under your porch to die and making a big "stink" about something.

Twocub, in every pack there will be "that parent" who crawls under your porch for giving their son nightmares about having to shoot those scary monsters.

@ Twocubdad, I wish ;_; The CM said absolutely not. I didn't even get to bring them as decor like I was told. Boo.

@ KDD, that made my morning, lol.

OK' date=' they shot at the watermelons and pinatas and they absolutely loved it today. The DE had to come video it. They thought it was the best.[/quote']

I am so jealous. Yesterday was our first day of camp and it POURED rain ;__; We were stuck inside the whole time (we still did rotations but of course it wasn't the same.) Hope y'all's camp goes well for the rest of the days too!

OK' date=' they shot at the watermelons and pinatas and they absolutely loved it today. The DE had to come video it. They thought it was the best.[/quote']

I am so jealous. Yesterday was our first day of camp and it POURED rain ;__; We were stuck inside the whole time (we still did rotations but of course it wasn't the same.) Hope y'all's camp goes well for the rest of the days too!

Thanks, please send the rain our way please. We need the rain in Texas. I hope it dries out for you.

If I could I gladly would! I won't lie, its helped our grass a LOT this year, lol, but enough is enough! Any other week but this one. Hope today was as good for y'all as yesterday!