The idiots running this jamboree

I went as a youth in '73. That was the year the red berets were introduced and -- over the great anguish of most Scouts -- were required parts of the jamboree uniform. Personally, I never wore the stupid thing again after getting off the bus back at home. BUT, one of my fondest memories of jamboree was the miles-long column of red berets marching to the opening and closing shows -- disappearing around one curve and reappearing over the next hill.

There is a time and place for proper uniforming. which is one of the biggest lessons of the Uniform Method generally. I have no problem requiring full uniforms of jamboree participants, including jamboree-specific items. It is appropriate to wear them for arena shows, colors and other occasions. But 24-7 is silly, especially at an event which is billed to be high adventure oriented. What difference does it make the kind of socks a kid wears to go swimming or rafting? Or to sit and trade patches?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Does anyone have a phone number to call at national to get this resolved???????/    

After reading these comments from so many different folks, I sure am glad we took our troop to Virginia in 2010 to visit what may very well have been the last good Jamboree!

Not to be in defense but I will. The extra fee for the whitewater rafting and the technical climbing were announced in December or January. It was in the webinar notes posted on the bsajamboree webs

Sorry if you folks took offense, but the Jamboree is what it is. They want all the boys and leaders in offical scout uniforms from head to toe.

Wearing a pair of khaki shorts from Wal- Mart because they are close to the same color won't cut it. There are lots of people who go to summer camp, etc like that all the time, fine. But it won't be acceptable at a Jamboree. Don't shoot the messanger.

I imagine part of the reason for requiring the regulation uniform is site security. It's not that difficult to get a Scout shirt from Goodwill or the Salvation Army thrift store or something similar, especially in larger urban areas (even though BSA National has asked those organizations not to sell BSA uniform items). There are a lot of odd folks out there, and there are some individuals/organizations that want to get some ‘dirt’ (whatever that happens to be in their minds) on Scouting, and they try to get into events looking like a participant. If every registered participant is wearing the regulation uniform, it's a little easier to tell them apart from someone trying to ‘weasel their way in’.

When I attended the 2007 World Scout Jamboree and the 2010 National Jamboree, both events required every participant/staffer to wear indentification badges on lanyards (with different colors for different functions). There were only a couple of days we were requested to wear the complete uniform (or whatever consituted a complete unform for each participating country at the WSJ), but we were requested to wear at least part of the uniform (slacks/shorts) every day. If we were to see anyone that didn’t have a lanyard or other such identifier, we were asked to inform staff/security ASAP. We were also asked not to give any interviews and to refer any journalists that identified themselves as such to the media resource staff/office.

I experienced the same lack of communication for each Jamboree I’ve attended. I signed up, then waited, and waited, and waited. Then, in the last four months for the WSJ and the last month for the National, there was a flurry of communication, and there were still a couple of questions that had yet to be answered until I got on site. (In the case of the WSJ it was where I was going to be working as International Service Team. In the case of the National, it was where I could keep some medicine that had to be refrigerated, but not frozen.)

Sorry if you folks took offense, but the Jamboree is what it is. They want all the boys and leaders in offical scout uniforms from head to toe.

Wearing a pair of khaki shorts from Wal- Mart because they are close to the same color won't cut it. There are lots of people who go to summer camp, etc like that all the time, fine. But it won't be acceptable at a Jamboree. Don't shoot the messanger.

Ya it will be accepted.... Folks like you that perpetuate the BS.

I got $1,000 that says my scout will not be sent home because he is wearing white socks, walmart khaki short and a target synthtic t shirt.

Because the uniform isn't actually a requirement to be a member.

Has anyone one else got the email that their payment for whitewater rafting may or may not have been accepted or processed????? so your scout needs to have a credit or debit card just in case it wasn't.......

Then the email that my sons immunization records aren't right??????? Really looked at them on my hard copy....all the dates are filled out...but he better bring the extra paper signed by his doctor.......

Oh BTW weren't we supposed to receive our scouts schedule the last week of June???????????????hmmmmmmm That never happened.........

I really hope they remember to buy food while they are down there

Back when I went to Jambo, we didn't have no stinking schedule! Each day we got handed a stack of Hollerith cards for events at certain times, and we mixed and matched until we had a stack of events to suit us and how far we wanted to walk.

Here's hoping your scout learns how to game the system t suit his fancy,

They probably won't send your son home. He will look out of place. You are right, the uniform is not required to be a member of the BSA, but it IS required to go to a Jamboree.

My daughter's crew was told to wear non-denim cargo type shorts in the various colors of the uniform, or close to them, and tee shirts that cover the shoulder. Of course they would love for them to be in Scout shorts/slacks and Scout tee shirts if possible.

The uniform is only required for arrival, the big arena shows and departure. So where is the security in that.
If everyone were wearing their civvies, or just a partial uniform, how would you be able to tell just by looking at them whether they were supposed to be there or not?? That's all the folks running security have to go by unless they screen everyone there. The lanyards help, but having a complete uniform helps as well.
My daughter's crew was told to wear non-denim cargo type shorts in the various colors of the uniform, or close to them, and tee shirts that cover the shoulder. Of course they would love for them to be in Scout shorts/slacks and Scout tee shirts if possible.

That's Venturing crews. They're not under the same uniforming conventions as Boy Scout troops. Crews are allowed to choose their own uniforms (for the most part) for their regular meetings/activities and are encouraged to wear the suggested Venturing uniform (Green shirt and grey pants/shorts) for larger meet-ups (council-rees, Jambo, etc.). My troop's CO has investigated sponsoring a Venturing Crew, and I've spoken with several Venturing leaders since Venturing was introduced.
The uniform is only required for arrival, the big arena shows and departure. So where is the security in that.
The uniform is only required for arrival, departure and the arena shows.....

Beyond that they are in class b's.........So your arguement is invalid

They probably won't send your son home. He will look out of place. You are right, the uniform is not required to be a member of the BSA, but it IS required to go to a Jamboree.
So exactly how is he going to look out of place with olive shorts that look like BSA shorts, his synthetic shirt that looks like the BSA version and white socks??????