my boy and completing achievements

Glad you are taking a positive attitude towards this whole thing. I have seen Dens fail and fall apart because the Den Leader has a life event happen and are no longer to effectively do meetings etc. You are lucky that you had this woman, however annoying she is, step in and take over to make sure your Den is still going.

She might have more stringent standards than you would or your leader would, but they are not unreasonable. They are just more strict and closer to the textbook.

Look at the positive things she is doing for your Den (ie her time and effort in actually caring that the boys are doing the awards correctly and making sure your den doesn't fall apart).

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

christineka,   I advise you to take a few moments and reflect on what you want your son to get out of scouting. Do you want him to learn and practice life skills that he can use, or are you loo

I really do not mean to knock LDS, but when I ever hear about a "bishop" I am always reminded about the guy who drives the truck and calls himself a "Sanitation Engineer". Christinaka, you and your

Just wondering - What is the EXACT BSA position held by the "Dictator"?   Did the "Dictator" state that the 2 week chore chart MUST be made up of "household" chores (cleaning kitchen counter)?  

Glad you are taking a positive attitude towards this whole thing. I have seen Dens fail and fall apart because the Den Leader has a life event happen and are no longer to effectively do meetings etc. You are lucky that you had this woman, however annoying she is, step in and take over to make sure your Den is still going.

She might have more stringent standards than you would or your leader would, but they are not unreasonable. They are just more strict and closer to the textbook.

Look at the positive things she is doing for your Den (ie her time and effort in actually caring that the boys are doing the awards correctly and making sure your den doesn't fall apart).

Christineka, I haven't read through the whole thread and I apologize for that. But so far my exception to your stance is simply that YOU are not to be handling this... it's your boy who needs to present the evidence as it were.

Me again... after reading through I think you are on the right track. Do Your Best to remain calm and active, and hopefully he'll be in a better situation in Boy Scouts. I think it is hard to imagine being involved in a Pack that has such problems. Thank you for being reasonable and for trying to make things right.

I'm not going to judge what this Leader is doing because there is always three sides to every story his, hers and the truth. What I will say if you are fudging what he is doing you are truly doing your son a disservice. With that being said if you truly have a legitimate issue with this leader and can not work it out, I would suggest finding a new Pack.

I'm not going to judge what this Leader is doing because there is always three sides to every story his, hers and the truth. What I will say if you are fudging what he is doing you are truly doing your son a disservice. With that being said if you truly have a legitimate issue with this leader and can not work it out, I would suggest finding a new Pack.
This is LDS, new pack is not really an option.
No, our leaders have not been trained. I did all the online training (leader specific, youth protection, fast start, and even the LDS scout training) the evening I was put into the position. I have brought up training with the rest of the leaders several times. They admit they haven't even done as much as the youth protection training. I brought it up with the bishop and he claimed he thought it was very important, but I have yet to see anything done about it. I work a lot with the wolf leader, seeing as how she's too spacey to plan anything, so we do bears and wolves together and we do talk a lot. (I've been trying to get her to help out a bit more and make decisions.) She knows she should do the training and that it's really easy, but she really doesn't get around to doing much on her own.
YPT is for more than just the boys safety. Its also about the adults safety and the liability risks of your organization/BSA.

I mean one of the key things is the 2 deep leadership. You are never alone with a boy.

People without training seem to believe that this is so no one abuses the boy or does anything improper. But the other side of the coin is so that the kid can't say "So and so did this to me!" and there is no second adult around to say, "That didn't happen".

If a kid claims abuse, you tend to err on the side of the child for safety reasons rather than the adult.