my boy and completing achievements

No, our leaders have not been trained. I did all the online training (leader specific, youth protection, fast start, and even the LDS scout training) the evening I was put into the position. I have brought up training with the rest of the leaders several times. They admit they haven't even done as much as the youth protection training. I brought it up with the bishop and he claimed he thought it was very important, but I have yet to see anything done about it. I work a lot with the wolf leader, seeing as how she's too spacey to plan anything, so we do bears and wolves together and we do talk a lot. (I've been trying to get her to help out a bit more and make decisions.) She knows she should do the training and that it's really easy, but she really doesn't get around to doing much on her own.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

christineka,   I advise you to take a few moments and reflect on what you want your son to get out of scouting. Do you want him to learn and practice life skills that he can use, or are you loo

I really do not mean to knock LDS, but when I ever hear about a "bishop" I am always reminded about the guy who drives the truck and calls himself a "Sanitation Engineer". Christinaka, you and your

Just wondering - What is the EXACT BSA position held by the "Dictator"?   Did the "Dictator" state that the 2 week chore chart MUST be made up of "household" chores (cleaning kitchen counter)?  

Christinaka' date=' you and your son are "doing your best" under poor leadership.[/quote']

I do understand that the way LDS scouts are run are often sub-par compared to the regular scouts. Not only are the boys automatically signed up for scouts, whether it's the family's decision to join or not, but the leaders are all volunteerED, rather than volunteering themselves. My dad got into scouting when my older brother was a cub scout. He's still a scouter and goes to a bunch of camps to cook. I went to a live scout training back in the day when the internet was not quite as much as it is now. There are some fantastic scout leaders out there- because their motivation comes from within. I wish I was as enthusiastic. I do want to do my best as a leader and as a parent, but honestly, I would not have volunteered for this position if it were up to me. I feel very overwhelmed.

Why does he need all 20 activity pins......If memory serves....he only needs 11 to get his AOL.

I am in a non LDS unit and the boys typically join the troop in February of their first year in Webelos. We attend Webelos resident camp Aquanaut, Geologist, Forester and sportsman and a Webelos woods event, readyman, outdoorsman, scientist ....Den meetings handyman, Enginneer, artist, fitness and showman..........Super easy to finish the AOL in 9 months.

In reading the OP's other post I think her son is the webelo in the pack.

BD, the AOL requirement is not just being 10 years old it is being a Webelos for at least six months since turning 10 years old or finishing the fourth grade. So 10 1/2 is the earliest they can join a troop. You have 4th graders who are 10 1/2 in February ? (My son wasn't 10 1/2 until March of 5th grade) I am sure it is possible, but the way you worded your statements gives the impression you may fudging some of the joining requirements. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

I admit the BS joining requirements just say at least 10 years old with AOL but 10 1/2 is a requirement for AOL.

My biggest beef is, where in the Committee Member duties does it state "decides whether boy has earned the award or not"? Shouldn't this be under the jurisdiction of his Webelos' den leader? She already marked my son off on completing the geology belt loop weeks ago. She also believes me, that my son has completed the requirement of doing lawn care for two weeks.
Seriously guys, she needs to step back from her sons scouting experience and let these nuts ruin it for him by adding to and subtracting from the requirements. These people are presenting this boy with a moving target. Just how long do you expect this boy to stay and enjoy scouting ?
No, our leaders have not been trained. I did all the online training (leader specific, youth protection, fast start, and even the LDS scout training) the evening I was put into the position. I have brought up training with the rest of the leaders several times. They admit they haven't even done as much as the youth protection training. I brought it up with the bishop and he claimed he thought it was very important, but I have yet to see anything done about it. I work a lot with the wolf leader, seeing as how she's too spacey to plan anything, so we do bears and wolves together and we do talk a lot. (I've been trying to get her to help out a bit more and make decisions.) She knows she should do the training and that it's really easy, but she really doesn't get around to doing much on her own.
Triple Yikes!!! Lots of exposure here for a bunch of people. Safety of the boys is paramount. COR needs to ensure all of the leaders have YPT as a minimum

Thanks for letting me see things more calmly. I'll make my son label his rock collection and bring it to pack meeting. I also figure checking my oil and tire pressure every day for two weeks will be beneficial to both him and myself. (Me- so I know the levels are okay and him so hopefully after so much checking, he'll do it when he has a car to care for.)

Why does he need all 20 activity pins......If memory serves....he only needs 11 to get his AOL.

I am in a non LDS unit and the boys typically join the troop in February of their first year in Webelos. We attend Webelos resident camp Aquanaut, Geologist, Forester and sportsman and a Webelos woods event, readyman, outdoorsman, scientist ....Den meetings handyman, Enginneer, artist, fitness and showman..........Super easy to finish the AOL in 9 months.

It is entirely possible to join a non-LDS troop while still being in 4th grade--mine did. Arrow of Light is key and that can be earned in 4th grade if a boy is active in scouting.

It is entirely possible to join a non-LDS troop while still being in 4th grade--mine did. Arrow of Light is key and that can be earned in 4th grade if a boy is active in scouting.
Thanks for letting me see things more calmly. I'll make my son label his rock collection and bring it to pack meeting. I also figure checking my oil and tire pressure every day for two weeks will be beneficial to both him and myself. (Me- so I know the levels are okay and him so hopefully after so much checking, he'll do it when he has a car to care for.)
Honestly, from skimming this thread, I'd say that's the best attitude to take.....

I do however think that you can live happy by feeling that your initial thoughts were correct..... perhaps just not the most cheerful approach....

I think many were busting your chops a little hard, since it's clear that they are trying to make up rules and are apparently not even trained.

In the end though, if you can teach your boy to cheerfully comply since it's not such a big deal and certainly not going to hurt either of you in any way.....it will be good lesson in going with the flow and reducing stress and friction.

We have this discussion I think annually here..

There is no set age for boys entering cub scouts.....Home schoolers drive me crazy about this.....

Tiger Cubâ€â€Must be under the age of

8, who has completed kindergarten or

is in the first grade or be age 7.

So what about the 5 year old home schooler who tests at a first grade level. or the school system that starts kids in kindergarten at 5 instead of 6........

Many schools start the kids earlier....so it is very possible to have a 4 th grader in boy scouts....I think lisabobs son was one of them.

To answer your question, yes I had a number of boys who were 10.5 during their 4th grade year and joined the troop. Generally most of the previous years webelos have joined the troop by Christmas.

There is no set age for boys entering cub scouts.....Home schoolers drive me crazy about this.....

So what about the 5 year old home schooler who tests at a first grade level. or the school system that starts kids in kindergarten at 5 instead of 6........

Many schools start the kids earlier....so it is very possible to have a 4 th grader in boy scouts....I think lisabobs son was one of them.

To answer your question, yes I had a number of boys who were 10.5 during their 4th grade year and joined the troop. Generally most of the previous years webelos have joined the troop by Christmas.

wow thats odd....I tried to post it a couple of times and gave up....

Now I check back and it posted 4 times over a half an hour period.....odd