That is a very good question.. As has been stated in another thread there are married couples in Venturing. With the new policy what does the BSA have to say about BS dating ? If they are are they allowed to hold hands? Kiss? Show any affection ? Is a kiss considered sexual behavior? This may be a rare occurrence but it will arise. I am all for the policy change but it does open up a whole host of issues that have not been addressed before at least at the BS level. I guarantee you these kind of issues are what we are going to be debating over the next year.

There is no official policy on dating within a venture crew....

The coed crews I have been part of had a No PDA policy......Public Display of affection....The youth police it.

We had 3 dating couples in our crew and once it became evident that the other youth and adults weren't going to host romantic weekend camping trips, they quit....

Girls tent with girls, guys tent together....Adults in between. Absolutely postively no monkey business.

The coed crews I have been part of had a No PDA policy......Public Display of affection....The youth police it.

We had 3 dating couples in our crew and once it became evident that the other youth and adults weren't going to host romantic weekend camping trips, they quit....

Girls tent with girls, guys tent together....Adults in between. Absolutely postively no monkey business.

I don't know BD, you and me gotta sleep sometime. The woods are deep. Been there.

Advisors: Afternoon naps. Wake at 17:00. On the prowl at 23:00. Sleep 02:00-04:00!

Seriously. Dating is cool. Fornication is not. Venturing is no cheap date, and my youth get that. (In fact, son #1 has carried that attitude through college, and even on the trail with his fiance this spring, made sure they went with buddies.)

Talking to some rangers, I know that other crews are not as strict. (Including LNT failures regarding condoms.) And, like you said KDD, we adults can't police everything.

We can be a little more intrusive than giving a couple the keys to a '57 Chevy!

I don't worry about it....But when it was cuddle time around the campfire it was a big you got to be kidding me. I have no illusions that on weekends when they are not camping they are bumping uglies......

I know at least one scout master who doesn't sleep when the troop goes camping......I have told myself it I start doing that I will quit....I can't imagine how he would behave with dating couples in camp.....

Q......Was the owner of the before mentioned prophylactic known???? Made for an interesting trash sweep. Probably a few chuckles......and at least they were taking precautions......not that it makes me feel any better.

I don't worry about it....But when it was cuddle time around the campfire it was a big you got to be kidding me. I have no illusions that on weekends when they are not camping they are bumping uglies......

I know at least one scout master who doesn't sleep when the troop goes camping......I have told myself it I start doing that I will quit....I can't imagine how he would behave with dating couples in camp.....

Q......Was the owner of the before mentioned prophylactic known???? Made for an interesting trash sweep. Probably a few chuckles......and at least they were taking precautions......not that it makes me feel any better.

The ranger did not divulge name or unit #. I'd like to think he'd inform the advisor. He's the kinda guy that will confront us if our unit does something wrong, although that usually involves the boys not replenishing the woodpile for the next weekend. (Actually, we love going to that camp for that reason.)

Fact is, how much any one of us has to deal with this depends on the age of the youth, the attitudes of the parents, and the culture in which they surround themselves. Kids who don't like someone like me appearing out of the dark at some completely unexpected time prepared to have a friendly chat until they tuck in don't roll with my crew. The ones who expect me to be asleep and unwakeable in my tent (when I even bother to pitch one) an hour later are severely disappointed.

Truth be told, this has more to do with my interest in astronomy, nocturnal wildlife, and bladder function than any mistrust of my co-eds. But, it works for that purpose.

BD, don't give me any ideas. That youthful, evil practical joker blood still runs through my veins. I have suppressed it very well over the past dozen years or so.

Brian- As Basement said there is no official policy regarding crew dating. In our large crew we have several couples however the crew policy is that on official crew outings no PDA's or other innappropriate behavior. Our crew is over 12 years old and we have never had a problem yet, if the teens know what is expected of them and you treat them like adults with respect you will be surprised at their response.

My ship and most of the ships in my area handle it by saying no PDAs, and anytime there is free time everyone has to be in a group of 3 or more. The scouts are generally pretty good about keeping that all out of scouting. Once in a great while the teenagers do make mistakes and get caught. That always leads to a long talk with Skipper, parents, and some length of time of suspension from the ship. If it happens in the middle of an event then parents are called at 3 am to come pick up their kids.