How to handle only a few boys? Lots of advice needed!

Uniforms are just a method in scouting. There is NO REQUIREMENT to wear a uniform. EVER. The scout just needs to cover his heart and not salute. This is all rather interesting give LDS has a reputation of being very lax with requirements. Again not meant to be a knock.

Seriously? You don't have to wear a uniform to participate in a flag ceremony? Do you have a link from official bsa? I only learned of this requirement from my coleaders, who must have heard it from some other leader, and it's just passed down. I do agree that the LDS are rather lax with the requirements.

We require our color guard to be in uniform. If they're just participating by pledging, then no uniform required. But if they are carrying the flags at one of our pack meetings, then uniform is required. I might be a little more flexible at a den meeting, though. Especially if a boy is running out of time to complete the flag ceremony requirement.
Here is the link to the cub uniforming page

http://www.scouting.org/sitecore/con...s/parents.aspx

I have a hard time with these requirements, being in LDS scouting. The boys are automatically entered into cub scouts. The parent can choose to opt-out, but most of us feel we are obligated to go along with cub scouts. Unlike with a regular group, we did not spend any time thinking about this decision or plan to have to spend money. Our boys do not wear the complete uniform. They all have shirts. Most have all the required patches. Most have neckerchiefs. That's it. They wear blue jeans nd sweat pants with their uniform shirt. No boy owns scout pants or a hat. Our parents have trouble coughing up the money to buy a book. (My boy's books were purchased at the thrift store and his shirt and neckerchiefs were picked up from the church's stash of recycled uniform pieces. As a leader, I have a tan shirt that someone was giving away for free. ) The church is not allowed to purchase uniforms for anyone. Should we go all or nothing as the website states?

All or nothing is a tough question. In reality few Packs have every boy in complete uniform down to the socks. The all or nothing approach seems a bit extreme to me because it really creates a divide between the haves and the have nots. I used blue Walmart pants for my oldest but the small belt loops made getting the belt with awards on a challenge. They doubled as everyday school pants as well.

Personally I do not like the look of jeans, period. However I would rather see a scout in a buttoned, tucked in uniform shirt than a t shirt any day. The boys that don't bother buttoning it just look sloppy, so if they can't even do that part I would say leave it at home.

I never liked the idea of forcing or strong arming kids and families into scouts. It should be something they WANT to do. Cubs that are motivated will try to earn their uniform parts and camping equipment. The hat, meh, unless you are in a temperate environment they never get to wear it much because it has to come off indoors and then tends to get lost. I will say my experience with the new cub switchback pants is good. They have the waist cinchers and are great for the changing seasons. With a proper hemming they should last you at least two years.

As many have stated elsewhere, encourage wearing the uniform in a positive way. Never berate or embarrass. Reward and praise for the best dressed, no push-ups for infractions.

I'll speak plainly: It is a crying shame that cubs do not have a tradition of handing down uniform pants as soon as they outgrow them. If you see this as a real need, talk to your bishop. Sure, methods of scouting are just methods, but there's a point at which boys want to look sharp (even if they fuss at you over it). It may not be important to your small group of boys because they have probably only experienced den or pack life, but when they get a taste of a camporee or summer camp, it may matter to one of them. (In fact, you can think of the full uniform as a way of getting a taste of being part of something nation-wide.)

I bet if it is mentioned from the pulpit that blue pants should not sit in the back of a closet going to waste, you will have a half dozen pairs half of which will most likely fit at your disposal that week.

Now I'm one of those guys who is perfectly fine with a cub being out of uniform (or halfway in, however you choose to look at it) and saluting the flag. I point out to my scouts when they are out of uniform, but I still hold them responsible to accomplish whatever is on the roster. but if YOU feel like you're catching attitude for it, quoting old farts like us won't solve the problem. Getting your boys to look sharp and be proud will. Can they do that in jeans? I think so. But should they have to? Probably not.

I'll speak plainly: It is a crying shame that cubs do not have a tradition of handing down uniform pants as soon as they outgrow them. If you see this as a real need, talk to your bishop. Sure, methods of scouting are just methods, but there's a point at which boys want to look sharp (even if they fuss at you over finding their pants). It may not be important to your small group of boys because they have probably only experienced den or pack life, but when they get a taste of a camporee or summer camp, it may matter to one of them. (In fact, you can think of the full uniform as a way of getting a taste of being part of something nation-wide.)

I bet if it is mentioned from the pulpit that blue pants should not sit in the back of closets going to waste, you will have a half dozen pairs -- half of which will most likely fit -- at your disposal that week.

Now I'm one of those guys who is perfectly fine with a cub being out of uniform (or halfway in, however you choose to look at it) and saluting the flag. I point out to my boy scouts when they are out of uniform, but I still hold them responsible to accomplish whatever is on the roster. They understand that I am merely stating a fact -- and not throwing attitude. However, if YOU feel like you're catching attitude for it, quoting old farts like us won't solve the problem. Getting your boys to look sharp and be proud will. Can they do that in jeans? I think so. But should they have to? Probably not.

I'll speak plainly: It is a crying shame that cubs do not have a tradition of handing down uniform pants as soon as they outgrow them. If you see this as a real need, talk to your bishop. Sure, methods of scouting are just methods, but there's a point at which boys want to look sharp (even if they fuss at you over finding their pants). It may not be important to your small group of boys because they have probably only experienced den or pack life, but when they get a taste of a camporee or summer camp, it may matter to one of them. (In fact, you can think of the full uniform as a way of getting a taste of being part of something nation-wide.)

I bet if it is mentioned from the pulpit that blue pants should not sit in the back of closets going to waste, you will have a half dozen pairs -- half of which will most likely fit -- at your disposal that week.

Unfortunately, our group isn't like this. We've been trying for a year to get old uniform pieces to establish a lending closet. So far, we've collected a total of 1 shirt, 1 webelos' slider, and 1 webelos' neckerchief. (Came from the youngest boy of our former cub master.) Our cub scout program only began a few years ago (I'm told, I moved here a little over a year ago). The boys, who come with their shirts on do not like to button them. My boy always does, but the others generally don't. My boy wears sweat pants and only wears the belt for pack meeting. He just puts it around his waist. I think he looks pretty saggy in those sweat pants, but he has clothing issues... I will look around to see if I can get him some nicer looking blue pants and then make him wear them.

fOur cubs only do the area day camp with other boys. That's it. Since we live in Utah, the land of LDS scouts, the other boys pretty much dress about the same- maybe a shirt, maybe a neckerchief. One out of 50 has a hat.

Not meant to be a knock against LDS Packs, but I thought your leaders were assigned by a church official. You should not have wolfs and bears in the same den meeting, they are working on different stuff. You need another den leader. Keep in mind that very few of the requirements need to be done with the den. I know the Wolf book states most of them are to be done with the family or by the cub himself.
Yeah, last year our pack lost the web leader so the two webelos dens met together for the entire year. (web 1 and 2)

Just to stir the pot..... Uniforms may not be required, but from the link that Basement provided....

For these reasons, among others, all parents should emphasize to their Scouts the importance of wearing the correct and complete uniform on all suitable occasions.

.....AND.....

DO NOT mix uniform parts with non-uniform clothing, such as wearing a uniform cap with other clothing or wearing the uniform shirt with blue jeans. The uniform should be treated as a unitâ€â€worn in its entirety, or not at all.

Just to stir the pot..... Uniforms may not be required, but from the link that Basement provided....

For these reasons, among others, all parents should emphasize to their Scouts the importance of wearing the correct and complete uniform on all suitable occasions.

.....AND.....

DO NOT mix uniform parts with non-uniform clothing, such as wearing a uniform cap with other clothing or wearing the uniform shirt with blue jeans. The uniform should be treated as a unitâ€â€worn in its entirety, or not at all.

I wonder if there are any packs that enforce the all or nothing rule?

.....AND.....

I am sure that there are some that have established that culture. At a training class on instructor bought bags of cheap beads and hands them out at pack and den meetings for good things he sees. Sitting quietly when asked, proper salute, wearing the uniform correctly, doing a skit.

I sure would rather see wearing the shirt with jeans than sweats.

My first pack did uniform inspections and if you passed you got a tootsie roll if not a push up for each violation. The boys actually liked it and had fun, but the push-ups are considered hazing so I would stick with the positive reinforcement. It was also in a well to do area of town,

The problem I have with the all or nothing rule is very few people can afford to get it all. If you go to the scout shop and get the whole deal with patches sewn on and pants hemmed you are well over a hundred bucks. I have always just built it in pieces, with the socks being the very last piece.

You can get blue pants at Wally World for $10 that they can still wear at school.

And always remember the metal slide is optional, most seasoned scouts and scouters have ones they have made. 1/2 inch PBS pipe decorated with fabric or paint is just fine. Makes a good den activity.

I am sure there